What Preps are you doing this week? Part 7.

How are you preparing
itsybitsy

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 7.

Post by itsybitsy »

hobo wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:52 am Bought a few of these power banks. Reduced to £19 from £32. Have used them before. 😀https://www.amazon.co.uk/RAVPower-Porta ... wer&sr=8-3
Will they power up a laptop H?
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

I believe that most modern laptops are very choosy about what power inputs they will accept, so you are probably out of luck unless you can get an electronics wiz on the case. The ones meant for powering laptops usually come with a dozen or so assorted connectors.
These could power or charge a tablet.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
hobo

Post by hobo »

itsybitsy wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 5:03 pm
hobo wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:52 am Bought a few of these power banks. Reduced to £19 from £32. Have used them before. 😀https://www.amazon.co.uk/RAVPower-Porta ... wer&sr=8-3
Will they power up a laptop H?
No, they do one which will power a laptop. I use them for smaller stuff.
peejay

Post by peejay »

The likes of this one will power a laptop that can be powered by USB-C. I have a similar Ravpower one & it will keep a MacBook Pro going for longer - it won't charge it fully (or if it's flat) but it'll slow down its discharge rate.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/RAVPower-Porta ... b_title_ce
hobo

Post by hobo »

Seems comparable to this one but almost half the price! https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B07PK8 ... eva_mobile
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

But if the elect goes off then the mast goes off and there's no internet anyway.
cbp125

Post by cbp125 »

diamond lil wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 6:47 am But if the elect goes off then the mast goes off and there's no internet anyway.
This would depend on why something stopped and what stopped. If the national grid stopped locally (most comman), you would still have the internet through the phone lines as they are not locally powered but you would need to power your router and computer from solar or other means. Some cell towers have power backups for 3 days grid down. I am not sure which one's or why certain ones are but I do know of a few.

If the power is out nationally then everything stops however there is still satalite internet or mesh net backups for certain things.

I don't prep for this specifically, I am building a mesh net locally with some friends but only for fun as if the power is out then so will be my guitar or books etc, in fact I quite enjoy power cuts as they bring peace and quiet
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

My net goes off as soon as the power does. Maybe this is what happens in rural areas.
cbp125

Post by cbp125 »

diamond lil wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 12:06 pm My net goes off as soon as the power does. Maybe this is what happens in rural areas.
Do you have independant power for your router and computer? Most routers recently are 12v so begging to be powered by solar! If you plugged your router into a 12v powerbank and had a laptop you should still have the net.
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

Today's prep: Impulse buy of a second hand generator. £50 for a pre-owned 650W unit.
I might regret the low spec and wear and tear on it, but I hope would be enough to keep a small freezer limping along long enough to get through any early outage.

Any experts in small generators, who can tell me what to expect? Have I wasted my money?

Absolutely no intention for wasting petrol in it to run lights or tellies or heating/cooking devices. It's just for food preservation: freezing or vacc packing, maybe running a food mixer, at a pinch.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong