What Preps are you doing this week? Part 7.

How are you preparing
Catweazle

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 7.

Post by Catweazle »

I saved the stones from last years plum harvest and buried them together in a large tub of potting compost. I'm hoping that exposure to the frosts will stratify them, if it works and they start to germinate I'm going to plant them in hedges.

I started loads of raspberry cuttings too, gave them away to workmates. I can't remember the variety, but it spreads like wildfire and produces loads of fruit, originally came from Aldi like most of my fruit trees.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

We've got a variety of the Aldi ones too. I've demolished an old structure that was on the allotment, leaving the frame which I've given a permanent framed roof and we'll have mesh sides. The plan is to have it full of fruit. :D
izzy_mack

Post by izzy_mack »

A friend knowing I like to gather wild stuff, brought me some hazel nuts he found, I've planted some in a tub of old compost like Catweazle and if they come will plant them out nearby in the hope we end up with our own supply in this area. Also realised that we don't have elderflower/berries nearby either - will have to get onto that sometime!
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

izzy_mack wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:58 am A friend knowing I like to gather wild stuff, brought me some hazel nuts he found, I've planted some in a tub of old compost like Catweazle and if they come will plant them out nearby in the hope we end up with our own supply in this area. Also realised that we don't have elderflower/berries nearby either - will have to get onto that sometime!
I have hazelnuts growing near us that I forage. A mate has shown me another site with even more that's a bit of a distance but doable. I've buried some of the nuts in other locations to see what happens but its far too early to say if they'll come to anything. There's plenty nettles everywhere too of course although I fend the tea a bit 'meh', not much flavour. I've been meaning to dehydrate some and powder them to add to stuff to bulk them and add the vitamins etc.
PreppingPingu

Post by PreppingPingu »

The recent talk of folks having to leave the house in a hurry due to floods and storm damage, prompted me to check through my grab bag. Date check the antihistamines, check the torch batteries and check the spare set of clothes. Realised I only had 1 tissue in the pocket pack so that needed refilling and I added another pair of socks ( - you can never have too many socks!) and added some thick tights to wear under the leggings in there. The clothes in the grab bag are things that roll up small and don't take up much space such as leggings and long sleeved t-shirts. Stuff you can layer and that dries easily if wet. (Though they are packed in a dry sac inside the ruck sack.) I have some playing cards in the bag but realised that apart from the SAS Survival pocket book I didn't have anything to read when holed up in a village hall/hotel/mates house so threw a fiction book in there.
"Today is the tomorrow that you worrried about yesterday" - unknown
"Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast" - Red Dwarf
(Area 3)
jansman

Post by jansman »

PreppingPingu wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:43 pm The recent talk of folks having to leave the house in a hurry due to floods and storm damage, prompted me to check through my grab bag. Date check the antihistamines, check the torch batteries and check the spare set of clothes. Realised I only had 1 tissue in the pocket pack so that needed refilling and I added another pair of socks ( - you can never have too many socks!) and added some thick tights to wear under the leggings in there. The clothes in the grab bag are things that roll up small and don't take up much space such as leggings and long sleeved t-shirts. Stuff you can layer and that dries easily if wet. (Though they are packed in a dry sac inside the ruck sack.) I have some playing cards in the bag but realised that apart from the SAS Survival pocket book I didn't have anything to read when holed up in a village hall/hotel/mates house so threw a fiction book in there.
We finally sorted our grab bag/ hotel bag,call it what you will.Nice and simple.Underwear for three days,a set of outer clothing,shoes ( you could be baling through a window at night!) a plastic poncho each,because it is bound to be sluicing down at the time :lol: A wash bag and for my wife ,cosmetics and hair care bag.A towel took up too much room,so there are two shemaghs in there which can be used for all sorts,and if we evacuate it will be to relatives or a hotel,and towels etc.will be there.Then there are Apple charger and cables and an Anker powerbank.Not forgetting the dog,two plastic bowls,a lead,a coat,poo bags and two feeds.All wrapped in plastic,in a canvas bag,which will stand being thrown from a window.

Next to that is a fireproof/ waterproof document ' brief case with all those essential papers.Yes,I know it could be on a USB stick thingy,but in my experience with officialdom,only paper will do. We always have phones at the side of us at night ( cos shtf will be in the small hours won't it?), my wife her handbag and me my wallet and keys.To be honest,I only have to pull on my cargo trousers,and there is an entire life support system in the pockets! :lol:

As for first aid kit,and other ' hardware' ,that is all contained in a get home bag in the car. There ( will) quite soon ,be a ' proper' emergency kit in a large tool box I have spare,and the lot can be slung in a car to go.Just need a checklist to sit on top of the bag of things to do ( if it is a controlled evacuation,not a rush- job).
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Jansman, have you looked at the microfiber camping towels ? They can fold down small and aren't as 'tactical' as a shemagh, come in different sizes. Nothing wrong with shemaghs, I often have one to wrap round whatever I'm using as a pillow (and emergency splint etc that they can be used for) when I'm out.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Deeps wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 7:06 am Jansman, have you looked at the microfiber camping towels ? They can fold down small and aren't as 'tactical' as a shemagh, come in different sizes. Nothing wrong with shemaghs, I often have one to wrap round whatever I'm using as a pillow (and emergency splint etc that they can be used for) when I'm out.
I have,yes thankyou Deeps.I have ordered a couple,but Mrs J wanted the job done,and I worked with what we had to be honest.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

jansman wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 7:35 am
Deeps wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 7:06 am Jansman, have you looked at the microfiber camping towels ? They can fold down small and aren't as 'tactical' as a shemagh, come in different sizes. Nothing wrong with shemaghs, I often have one to wrap round whatever I'm using as a pillow (and emergency splint etc that they can be used for) when I'm out.
I have,yes thankyou Deeps.I have ordered a couple,but Mrs J wanted the job done,and I worked with what we had to be honest.

Improvise, adapt and overcome and all that eh ? ;)
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

I havent even got a grab bag because I always thought nothing can happen here to make us have to run for it, but that's not Prepper Thinking is it :mrgreen: Apparently there's a huge deep underground gas main running cross country a mile north of here - can anything happen with them? And of course there's Lockerbie ..
My main worry is that the husband has stuffed the cat carrier up on top of a really high Ikea wardrobe and I can't reach it without a helicopter. And the cat is the first thing I'd want to grab if I had to get out.