What Preps are you doing this week? Part 7.

How are you preparing
Arzosah

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 7.

Post by Arzosah »

Sigh .... just posting about the ever-present need for street safety :(

There's a T junction on my very short road (19 houses!) that has a couple of houses where there are several ASBOs that have been granted. It's also where that murder took place almost 2 years ago now (the murderer lived in the house, not the victim). I've just been out for a walk, before it gets *too* hot, and I went by there - 10.30 in the morning, for Pete's sake! And on the rec ground opposite, a very drunk young guy in his early 20s started up a convo with me - luckily he kept his distance, but I was concerned enough that after I managed to say goodbye in a manner that wouldn't spook him/ turn him aggressive, I checked he wasn't watching down the road to see where I went. He'd been trying to chat me up (my clothes are trendy? Erm, they're 20 years old). I think his vision was blurry, he didn't realise I could have been, not just his mother, but his grandmother :twisted: .

It isn't just big events that cause a personal-level shtf. This was avoided, but it could have been different - it's tricky to completely avoid that route, that's where the shops are, but I hardly ever used them even before the pandemic. There's an alternate route into town, thats a lot longer, I'll have to check if there's anything in the other side streets that can help.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Arzosah wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 10:07 am Sigh .... just posting about the ever-present need for street safety :(

There's a T junction on my very short road (19 houses!) that has a couple of houses where there are several ASBOs that have been granted. It's also where that murder took place almost 2 years ago now (the murderer lived in the house, not the victim). I've just been out for a walk, before it gets *too* hot, and I went by there - 10.30 in the morning, for Pete's sake! And on the rec ground opposite, a very drunk young guy in his early 20s started up a convo with me - luckily he kept his distance, but I was concerned enough that after I managed to say goodbye in a manner that wouldn't spook him/ turn him aggressive, I checked he wasn't watching down the road to see where I went. He'd been trying to chat me up (my clothes are trendy? Erm, they're 20 years old). I think his vision was blurry, he didn't realise I could have been, not just his mother, but his grandmother :twisted: .

It isn't just big events that cause a personal-level shtf. This was avoided, but it could have been different - it's tricky to completely avoid that route, that's where the shops are, but I hardly ever used them even before the pandemic. There's an alternate route into town, thats a lot longer, I'll have to check if there's anything in the other side streets that can help.
Your situational awareness sounds superb.It's noted in martial arts classes that if you look like a victim i.e. unaware of your surroundings,you are more likely to be a victim. We have a couple of areas in our ( now) semi rural village like that.Even as a bald headed,ugly,brick outhouse of a so and so,I am still cautious if I nip to the chip shop,which is one area where the Yoofs hang around.But,I won't be intimidated into not using that shop.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Thanks jansman! Yep, it went okay - and as for the route into town, I've just realised, I can walk around the other 3 sides of the rec ground, rather than using the one side that passes this little T junction. Job jobbed :)
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

My husband is/was a biker, so is my son. Husband always had a temper. I'll never forget the night he pulled up at the chip shop in a rough area of Edinburgh and a gang of late teens surrounded the car and one spat on the window. Well he erupted out of that car, grabbed the biggest one shoved his nose in the spit, and rubbed it. I was in the car with wee children and scared they'd all turn on him. He made the guy wipe the spit off with his sleeve and then let him go.The rest just stood rooted to the spot. Thank god. But he's very streetwise, I'm not. I got a book about how to keep yourself out of trouble - think it was about terrorist type attacks, and read it. Anticipate trouble and stay out of it to begin with.
jansman

Post by jansman »

diamond lil wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 10:14 am My husband is/was a biker, so is my son. Husband always had a temper. I'll never forget the night he pulled up at the chip shop in a rough area of Edinburgh and a gang of late teens surrounded the car and one spat on the window. Well he erupted out of that car, grabbed the biggest one shoved his nose in the spit, and rubbed it. I was in the car with wee children and scared they'd all turn on him. He made the guy wipe the spit off with his sleeve and then let him go.The rest just stood rooted to the spot. Thank god. But he's very streetwise, I'm not. I got a book about how to keep yourself out of trouble - think it was about terrorist type attacks, and read it. Anticipate trouble and stay out of it to begin with.
Ooh Lil! Your hubby sounds like I used to be.I used to have a proper temper on me,and it has landed me in hot water a time or two. Now I am older,slower and a lot,lot wiser.Avoiding confrontation is my policy now.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

Well he's better than he used to be. But at 74 it's just as well!
Rusty74

Post by Rusty74 »

diamond lil wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 10:14 am My husband is/was a biker, so is my son. Husband always had a temper. I'll never forget the night he pulled up at the chip shop in a rough area of Edinburgh and a gang of late teens surrounded the car and one spat on the window. Well he erupted out of that car, grabbed the biggest one shoved his nose in the spit, and rubbed it. I was in the car with wee children and scared they'd all turn on him. He made the guy wipe the spit off with his sleeve and then let him go.The rest just stood rooted to the spot. Thank god. But he's very streetwise, I'm not. I got a book about how to keep yourself out of trouble - think it was about terrorist type attacks, and read it. Anticipate trouble and stay out of it to begin with.
hubby sounds alot like me in my youth 30 odd years ago,red mist would come down then all hell would break loose,always stood in the pub door way that way they come at you one at a time lol....
Remember the rule of the 7 P's, proper planning and prepperation prevents piss poor performance...
Rusty74

Post by Rusty74 »

after last nights epic 5 hour thunder and lighting storm(anit seen one like that for years 76 last one??),went to home bargins and picked up more of there "nitelite collapsible lanterns",incase of a power cut do quite like this if im honest and a couple of the head torches,plan on testing them tonight once it dark enough and i take the dogs for a walk...
Remember the rule of the 7 P's, proper planning and prepperation prevents piss poor performance...
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

jansman wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 3:36 pm
Ooh Lil! Your hubby sounds like I used to be.I used to have a proper temper on me,and it has landed me in hot water a time or two. Now I am older,slower and a lot,lot wiser.Avoiding confrontation is my policy now.
The temper thing is interesting! I've usually held back on my temper, and the few times I haven't, it hasn't gone well ... in public, in the past, I've told teenagers off before now (running through my friend's back garden? No!) but I wouldn't do much of that now - too many of them have knives now. People who are, say, 40s and upwards, continue to be simply rude :( but the thing that comes out in the papers at the moment is that people asking other people to wear masks (like, bus conductors who have a statutory obligation to do that) are getting beaten up for asking.
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

Agree Arzosah. Things are different now. You have to be careful.