What Preps are you doing this week? Part 7.

How are you preparing
PreppingPingu

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 7.

Post by PreppingPingu »

As far as this week's preps, I have been Christmas prepping again. I just don't trust the mad shop rush that is likely to ensue in a week and half's time when the English lockdown is lifted. (The shopping centres in Wales have been somewhat manic today I gather from one report that I read.) Also grabbing some extra bbq coal, always useful to have a backup cooking plan, especially as our oven is somewhat random with it's temperatures atm. It seems to think I wish to cremate anything that I put in it :lol: So*s law says it will pack up on Christmas day when I'm trying to cook to turkey joint! I could prep and buy a new one now but I'd rather keep it going as long as possible and just make sure I have an alternative way of cooking if it does suddenly go K'put.
"Today is the tomorrow that you worrried about yesterday" - unknown
"Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast" - Red Dwarf
(Area 3)
Lemne

Post by Lemne »

I've been replacing things that may be or are going on the fritz. The shredder was making a weird grinding noise and the vac had gone and we were using a borrowed one, have got new now. Our phones are old and have not received updates for a while and mine keeps forgetting it has battery and going to 2% and cutting off. Very annoying. I got a bargain in the Black Friday sale today and have two new ones coming tomorrow. The phone I was wanting was £80 off. When I went on the trade in site and it basically told me to jog on, our current phones are that old lol
Medusa

Post by Medusa »

Spent what was left of my evening after work dragging my husband kicking and screaming into the 21st Century with a rugged smartphone instead of his brick phone and installing some useful apps. He is amazing at building, fixing and making things, but not so great with technology. Ive also been updating our important information list. I tend to deal with all of the bill paying, utilities etc and if anything happened to me he really wouldnt have a clue where to start
Growing old disgracefully!
Rykard

Post by Rykard »

Medusa wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 10:00 pm Spent what was left of my evening after work dragging my husband kicking and screaming into the 21st Century with a rugged smartphone instead of his brick phone and installing some useful apps. He is amazing at building, fixing and making things, but not so great with technology. Ive also been updating our important information list. I tend to deal with all of the bill paying, utilities etc and if anything happened to me he really wouldnt have a clue where to start
what phone and apps did you install? I am a bugger for dropping phones, but never found a reasonable priced tough one. Also curious as to the apps you've put on.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Medusa wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 10:00 pm Spent what was left of my evening after work dragging my husband kicking and screaming into the 21st Century with a rugged smartphone instead of his brick phone and installing some useful apps. He is amazing at building, fixing and making things, but not so great with technology. Ive also been updating our important information list. I tend to deal with all of the bill paying, utilities etc and if anything happened to me he really wouldnt have a clue where to start
My phone is up to date, but I'm bad at putting apps on. I have the British Red Cross First Aid app, I have what3words, both my emails and whatsapp to keep in touch with people, a couple of supermarket apps (even if I needed to stay with relatives, I could contribute new groceries to the household safely), and a couple of simple games.

I can't stress too strongly that the stuff on my phone is almost entirely for small scale/ regional problems that may last weeks, yes, but aren't world wide and "normal" life is carrying on in other areas. If not, well, the SAS Survival Manual might be called into action, as long as I have my little solar panel with me as well!

Because I have a socking great storage extension, I have documents on there too - dental research for after an extraction, some covid guidance, public transport information, some downloaded books - a few thrillers, a few EOTW books like One Second After. The SAS Survival Manual. Stuff like that, as well as apps. Oh, insurance policies too!

I've also been updating my information list (or, as I call it, Bug Out To Hotel :mrgreen: ) it's a combined address book, finance list and a bit of fun. The important stuff is mostly up to date, but I haven't updated the fun stuff in years, which is how I've ended up with 3 youtube accounts :oops: :lol: not that it really matters, although it was hard to access any of them. If there was a problem, I could actually upload an "I'm safe" video, I suppose.

Wondering about facebook - in natural disasters in the last decade, they've had an "I'm safe" thing you can click, haven't they? FB might be useful to have on the phone for that reason, but I keep hidden on fb, and when I briefly installed the app, there was a deluge of people I didn't want to talk to but didn't want to defriend either. Might try logging in via the browser, that would be okay, I just realised.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Arzosah wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 10:50 am [

Wondering about facebook - in natural disasters in the last decade, they've had an "I'm safe" thing you can click, haven't they? FB might be useful to have on the phone for that reason, but I keep hidden on fb, and when I briefly installed the app, there was a deluge of people I didn't want to talk to but didn't want to defriend either. Might try logging in via the browser, that would be okay, I just realised.
Lol I've had relatives that fell out with my dad when I was 14 trying to add me as a friend (read my grandmother) 25 years+ since no birthday cards or the like since that day and my parents haven't intercepted post or anything like that .. err jog on

One thing Facebook is handy for is local community groups. "Big crash on the ring road"

Local neighborhood watch group 15 sheds broken into last night on the housing estate.

Twitter is good for stalking the local emergency groups or breaking news

Netweather (rain and storm tracker)

Windy (weather app)

Grid reference. (os grid reference)

Red cross emergency app
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Le Mouse

Post by Le Mouse »

This morning I had a tidy up of my box of prescription medicines. I found a few out of date Ventolin inhalers :oops: I am pleased to say I seem to be in fair stock (2-3 months) of everything. I'll put in a request again in a couple of weeks to beat the Christmas / Brexit rush.

All the talk of phones just now reminded me to reinstate my Telegram and Signal apps which might come in handy. Oh and my St John Ambulance First Aid one.

I'm still mostly shielding myself which has been getting a bit much. I'm looking into ways of keeping a little bit more sane and to increase my fitness a bit. I've found a series of yoga videos that I'm going to try out, both for a little fitness and to also quieten my mind.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Rykard wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 8:51 am
what phone and apps did you install? I am a bugger for dropping phones, but never found a reasonable priced tough one. Also curious as to the apps you've put on.
I am the same as you. My current gizmo is encased in a magnetic leather jobbie. Works a treat, and this phone has survived , unscathed, for over a year. Bet that’s jinxed it! :lol:
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

I've got a moron-phone ;)
When my last brick phone drowned I choose the one I've got because its IP67 (dust proof and water proof to 1mtr) and rubber armoured.
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
Medusa

Post by Medusa »

Rykard wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 8:51 am what phone and apps did you install? I am a bugger for dropping phones, but never found a reasonable priced tough one. Also curious as to the apps you've put on.
It's a Doogee S40 rugged smartphone so it's waterproof and has an IP68 and IP69 rating. Ive installed the Red Cross app, Maps.me, weather app and a calendar app so that I can stick important things on there so he doesnt forget or as reminders. Also google docs so I can share things with him that way too. He also has his own email address now so he can stop giving mine out!
Growing old disgracefully!