What Preps are you doing this week? Part 7.

How are you preparing
Yorkshire Andy

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 7.

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Just pulled the generator off it was Easter it last got used on the allotment in to pressure wash the allotment chicken coup out started 3rd pull guessing the fuel stabilizer is doing it's trick :mrgreen:
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
PreppingPingu

Post by PreppingPingu »

This week's preps have been mainly extra staple foods rather than tinned stuff. In sainsbury they had the giant 16k bags of flour from the height of Covid panic buying down to £3! Yes I bought one. Waiting on the paper bags I ordered (- thanks to whoever posted that ebay link) and then I can vacumn seal it up into manageable bags. (Sensible given crop failures combined with Covid demand. ) I bought extra minced pork and beef plus some sausage meat and decanted and vac sealed them and now they're being frozen. Getting power to the shed and a small chest freezer was the best prep this year for me, combined with my vacume sealer purchase. Also dug up more spuds from the allotment. They're in a veg crate in the shed drying before I cover in newspaper and store in the dark cool garage. This year I think I grew enough spuds to see me through to January/February and I've just planted some "ready for Christmas" spuds in a tub in the garden.
"Today is the tomorrow that you worrried about yesterday" - unknown
"Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast" - Red Dwarf
(Area 3)
Lemne

Post by Lemne »

PreppingPingu wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 5:59 pm Waiting on the paper bags I ordered (- thanks to whoever posted that ebay link) and then I can vacumn seal it up into manageable bags.
Me as well lol. I've got 32kg to decant into smaller bags.
Lemne

Post by Lemne »

We've been in the attic all weekend and have made and installed 96 feet of shelving. I can't wait to get everything put on. Feeling my age tonight.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

That's the last of the outbuildings treated / stained ready for winter
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Le Mouse

Post by Le Mouse »

Just done a massive (for me) Aldi shop. I'd gone in with the idea that it might be the last I do for a while, only to have that feeling confirmed by the family behind me who had no concept of social distancing. I had to tell the kids that I needed much more space than they were giving me with the belt divider - I hadn't got halfway through emptying my trolley! Filled my granny trolley, plus an extra bag :D I live in a student area, so Aldi will be a bit verboten for me in less than a month.

Now I've got the car, I think I'll do click and collect in future. When I've been going to the big Tesco, I've been parking near the click and collect site so I've seen how well they distance and they seem quite good. Delivery has been too fraught with problems, so I think click and collect is the way ahead for me.

Sorted out online banking for Mum on Friday. I'm going to set up direct debits for her bills so she's OK in case of another lockdown. I had to pay all her bills online during the last one and she's only just been able to pay me back. I'd like to avoid her worry, plus me being out of pocket! :lol:

I made an order for lots of calico this morning for use in masks. I make 3 layer masks and use calico for 2 of the layers. I'm also waiting on an order of more elastic and thread. I had cotton twill tape arrive yesterday. I've been making both masks with ties and masks with ear loops and now I'm set for making lots more of each!
jansman

Post by jansman »

I don’t know if it’s classed as a prep, but we have been ferrying new flat pack furniture in to rearrange living space now that daughter has moved back. When she left nearly 2 years ago, we redecorated etc the large bedroom that the girls shared, and the back bedroom we used as a walk in wardrobe basically. It’s cost a fortune this last few days! Anyhow, I told Mrs J that the ‘spare room’ will now be kept as an emergency bedroom after this.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Le Mouse

Post by Le Mouse »

jansman wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 2:43 pm I don’t know if it’s classed as a prep, but we have been ferrying new flat pack furniture in to rearrange living space now that daughter has moved back. When she left nearly 2 years ago, we redecorated etc the large bedroom that the girls shared, and the back bedroom we used as a walk in wardrobe basically. It’s cost a fortune this last few days! Anyhow, I told Mrs J that the ‘spare room’ will now be kept as an emergency bedroom after this.
Hope your daughter is OK jansman!

An emergency bedroom is a good idea - even if it means that you and Mrs J have somewhere to sleep if the other was ill or something.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Le Mouse wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 3:04 pm
jansman wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 2:43 pm I don’t know if it’s classed as a prep, but we have been ferrying new flat pack furniture in to rearrange living space now that daughter has moved back. When she left nearly 2 years ago, we redecorated etc the large bedroom that the girls shared, and the back bedroom we used as a walk in wardrobe basically. It’s cost a fortune this last few days! Anyhow, I told Mrs J that the ‘spare room’ will now be kept as an emergency bedroom after this.
Hope your daughter is OK jansman!

An emergency bedroom is a good idea - even if it means that you and Mrs J have somewhere to sleep if the other was ill or something.
That is a very good point. This weekend has also shown that you never know when family or friends may need help.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Lemne

Post by Lemne »

Le Mouse wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 2:27 pm Just done a massive (for me) Aldi shop. I'd gone in with the idea that it might be the last I do for a while, only to have that feeling confirmed by the family behind me who had no concept of social distancing. I had to tell the kids that I needed much more space than they were giving me with the belt divider - I hadn't got halfway through emptying my trolley!
I know the feeling. I've started weaponising my trolley. If I have someone behind me who wont keep back I stand in front of the trolley so they have to keep back.