What Preps are you doing this week? Part 7.

How are you preparing
jansman

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 7.

Post by jansman »

Yorkshire Andy wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 9:24 pm Dont blame you last one I acquired came from a skip when work demolished an old toilet block :mrgreen:

Managed to start tidying the workshop today looking Less like a bomb site
Got my workshop bang up to speed this week.Its a pleasure to be in there now!.I was pleasantly surprised at the materials I forgot I had,so various projects can go ahead without spending anything.

Today I am going to ' fencelife' the chicken pen and re felt the nest box.Then I will get another 'TurboBrew' on the go.We might be in lockdown,but we ain't in prison.A drink in my hand of an evening keeps it bearable! :lol:
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

I've got 2 40 pint kegs on the go (brown ale and pilsna) but they are at my parents dad kicked them off whilst I was at work for me told him to keep one at his so he has a supply but never collected .mine In time :(

Plus side once nearly ready when I take them their shopping early next week I can pick one up :mrgreen: ... They are using their front porch as an air lock :lol: shopping gets left inside they then collect it once the outer door is shut then wash everything down as they unpack it dad with his full face respirator and gloves on ..

Dad's got me his big camping fridge ready as our fridge freezer seems to be on the blink too :cry:
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
jansman

Post by jansman »

Its good to have access to resources like a spare fridge Andy.

Robert Frost.

Me.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

It's ticking over for now the thermostat is on the blink so it's either over cooling or not cooling it's getting propped up with frozen bottles of water from the big deep freeze since I thumped the thermostat it seems to be ok for now I've seen the wiring diagram and know I can link it to run constantly and use a plug in timer to switch it on and off say 15 mins in the hour but for now I'll be doing 3x a day checks on the temperature least the freezer bit is fine as it's stacked to the gills I've also got my beer fridge too

But it's always nice to have a plan c :)

diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

Planted my tatties this morning - while you lot down south are sizzling gently in the sun, we have 13C and a force ten gale. Dull grey skies, and I'm not amused.
I'm working on the husband to let me get chickens again, eggs seem to be in short supply.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

diamond lil wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 11:25 am Planted my tatties this morning - while you lot down south are sizzling gently in the sun, we have 13C and a force ten gale. Dull grey skies, and I'm not amused.
I'm working on the husband to let me get chickens again, eggs seem to be in short supply.

Got mine In Friday +I Think it was Friday :? + On the allotment covered with horticultural fleece for now to preserve mosture and ward off any frost for the next few weeks..... :|

Strawberry bed was also replanted in weed suppressing membrane

Got a few coli planted out too

diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

I put in some Charlottes and will do some Maris Piper this week sometime. Also put in some radish, syboes, herbs and flat mini turnips. Kale going in tomorrow. Feels great to be actually doing some gardening again.
jansman

Post by jansman »

I’ve not forgotten those seeds Lil.

Robert Frost.

Me.
Medusa

Post by Medusa »

diamond lil wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 11:25 am Planted my tatties this morning - while you lot down south are sizzling gently in the sun, we have 13C and a force ten gale. Dull grey skies, and I'm not amused.
I also want chickens, have knowledge/experience of caring for them but dont think that we have enough space. We are semi-rural but appear to have a family? of stoats (one caught in the mouse trap in the garage and several sightings of others in the garden) and guessing that the little blighters would get them before we could benefit from eggs. Eggs have been a bit short in supply around here too. I have the powdered stuff, but cant quite bring myself to use it yet
Growing old disgracefully!
Arwen Thebard

Post by Arwen Thebard »

Been cultivating a relationship with our local baker & butcher since Christmas and we now have two 16kg bags of strong white flour arriving by the weekend and a chest freezer full of meat already stocked, all without going out of our front door. :D Mrs A usually has her own yeast concoction growing in a jar somewhere and our butcher also supplies eggs, so it might be worth trying alternative sources if there are shortages in your area.
Arwen The Bard

"What did you learn today?"