What Preps are you doing this week? Part 7.

How are you preparing
Jillybean

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 7.

Post by Jillybean »

Medusa wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:49 pm
Jillybean wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 6:33 pm
Arwen Thebard wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:08 am
I grew garlic for the first time last year and was pleased with the small harvest, but planted it in Spring. I planted some in Autumn last year too and was worried that it sprouted too soon. Interested to red answers to your comment.
Well I'm inspired to give it a go after reading this. Worst that can happen is nothing, best, some home grown garlic 😊
Prep007

Post by Prep007 »

Just been doing weekly shop in nearest 24hr supermarket. As always I went to get extra stocks of paracetamol and the shelves were empty of most painkillers, very unusual for that store. But was able to stock up on hand warmers on offer 😂
Turkey Doughnuts

Post by Turkey Doughnuts »

Continue to clear ground at allotments, thanks to weather and a pig sty allotment that I have inherited I am really behind with this. Time is running out.

Will be planning my planting rota for the year I have the seeds.

No I have my list of things to buy, just a case of buying them as and when I can afford.

Become convinced I have the stamina of an over gorged Mcdonalads Lover. This will be the week I get to work on that.
General DeGaulle

Post by General DeGaulle »

It was sunny down here yesterday so I built myself a couple of 'mini greenhouses' to put over some of my raised beds. With the worst of the winter yet to come hopefully that will keep the frost off my (still growing!) salad greens. A full size greenhouse built from reclaimed wood and glass is on the cards as a spring project.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

I've added a snugpak jungle blanket XL to my car kit going to ditch the sleeping bag I think it's a bit more compact and more versatile (can use it as a big blanket to keep all the kids warm on the back seat (might keep the sleeping bag for me :lol: ) on my own it can be fully wrapped round my broad frame ...

It seems very warm little man saw postman pat fetch it so we opened it up and he wanted to play under it in the lounge (we are currently tent mad) a few mins of playing boo and pushing a toy car with lights on about I was too warm.....
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Jillybean

Post by Jillybean »

Resorting out my stores in hopefully a more logical way. Spread sheet for what to have ( I will print a copy out when I have completed it and also have solar tech charger to cover power cuts). It's been challenging and in my year of gathering I realised it was not practical. Once completed I will have all 2020 in general stores, 2021 in place A and 2022 in place B. This time, with thanks to Aldi bags and a few plastic boxes I have divided them into food groups. Other stores to be sorted when I have the energy. As I also have a bad cold that's had me in bed more than I would like. Having a rest now before cracking on.
Arwen Thebard

Post by Arwen Thebard »

"No I have my list of things to buy, just a case of buying them as and when I can afford."

People often request (and receive) free gardening tools, water butts, sheds, chicken wire etc etc etc on Freecycle and Freegle. Might be worth you putting a post on for what you are looking for, you never know.
Arwen The Bard

"What did you learn today?"
Arwen Thebard

Post by Arwen Thebard »

"As I also have a bad cold that's had me in bed more than I would like. Having a rest now before cracking on."

You haven't been anywhere near Asia recently have you? :lol:
Arwen The Bard

"What did you learn today?"
Jillybean

Post by Jillybean »

Arwen Thebard wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 7:28 pm "As I also have a bad cold that's had me in bed more than I would like. Having a rest now before cracking on."

You haven't been anywhere near Asia recently have you? :lol:
Fortunately no. Just the normal germs for this time of year. Something I'm keeping watch on though, it's like a slower start to many books I have read.
bobble

Post by bobble »

Tidying up the plots in the garden, taking brambles to the tip, cleaned the poly on the poly tunnel.
Also got some more ex batt hens from local animal rescue. Theyre a bit baldy but settling in nicely and got an egg today too!