What Preps are you doing this week? Part 7.

How are you preparing
Medusa

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 7.

Post by Medusa »

Washing machines and other essential white goods have a habit of breaking down when you most need them and have the least spare cash. See if you can find any shelving on Gumtree or somewhere similar. I bought some cheap, but strong garage shelving from B & Q when it was on sale. This is in our spare room, and which is supposed to be converted back into an upstairs bathroom as it would have been originally, but then I wont have anywhere for the pantry.
Growing old disgracefully!
GillyBee

Post by GillyBee »

The old saying "cry once buy once" seems to apply to washing machines. If the old washer is still running maybe put the cash to one side as Jansman suggests and try to top up to get one with a bit more lifespan.
I got sick of machines packing up every 2-3 years and started looking for ones with a five year warranty. I winced and bought a horribly expensive basic Miele with a 5 year warranty. It also had parts guaranteed available for twenty years. It is now 11 years old and still going strong.
The decision meant I could not buy the cooker I urgently needed at the same time but it has proved worth it and worked out cheaper overall than the previous short lived ones.
( A table top hob made good SHTF cookery practice while I saved up for the cooker)
jansman

Post by jansman »

After buying a Zanussi at £500 some years ago, and a switch going at 1 years and one day, thus incurring a 70 quid Call out for a£1 part, we took the advice of the repair man. Buy the cheapest machine, and burn it out. This we now do.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

I don't need to get the WM now, the money will be there if and when I need it. But for us now it's mainly a question of energy :cry: We haven't got any! So I get one chance to do this room and one only.. I don't want to get halfway through then think o gawd I should've done something else.
Ikea site keeps saying unable to deliver Kallax to this postcode so that will need to wait until the lockdown eases. Which is a pain in the ass.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Flood pump testing night :lol:
Screenshot_20200529-205652.png
One 2 1/2" jubilee clip gone AWOL....

So will replace tomorrow...

Cars cleaned ready for mot tomorrow
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Rusty74

Post by Rusty74 »

dont know if anyone uses farm foods but i called in there saturday to pick up some burgers and buns for our youngest sons birthday bbq (was only us there)and noticed an offer of a case of 12 tins of hot dog sausages for £5.99 and with a bbe date of may 2023,so a shelf life of 3yrs i grabbed 2 cases of them,kids eat them and wife puts them in salads might try and get another 2 cases this week to top the supplies up ready for the winter...
Remember the rule of the 7 P's, proper planning and prepperation prevents piss poor performance...
hobo

Post by hobo »

Got my delivery of late-cropping seed potatoes. Will plant in late July, dig up late autumn. Should keep until Christmas.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Rusty74 wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:21 pm dont know if anyone uses farm foods but i called in there saturday to pick up some burgers and buns for our youngest sons birthday bbq (was only us there)and noticed an offer of a case of 12 tins of hot dog sausages for £5.99 and with a bbe date of may 2023,so a shelf life of 3yrs i grabbed 2 cases of them,kids eat them and wife puts them in salads might try and get another 2 cases this week to top the supplies up ready for the winter...
We love Farm Foods. Will check that out.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
gamekeeper752

Post by gamekeeper752 »

replying to hobo and his potatoes i left 6 growing bags over winter to see what would happen i saw they were popping up in April so i picked three and tipped them up all the spuds were fine so we've eaten them before the early crop
the others i'm going to leave to see what the crop is like yr 2 as it were
also got every water collecting thing i can find before the storm
Train hard,Fight easy, put the kettle on and make tea
Arwen Thebard

Post by Arwen Thebard »

gamekeeper752 wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 4:18 pm replying to hobo and his potatoes i left 6 growing bags over winter to see what would happen i saw they were popping up in April so i picked three and tipped them up all the spuds were fine so we've eaten them before the early crop
the others i'm going to leave to see what the crop is like yr 2 as it were
also got every water collecting thing i can find before the storm
Same here, we leave a few spud growing bags (Maris Piper) to their own devices over the winter and usually they are still good to eat in Jan/Feb/Mar as our bagged supplies are ending.
Arwen The Bard

"What did you learn today?"