What Preps are you doing this week? Part 7.

How are you preparing
ForgeCorvus

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 7.

Post by ForgeCorvus »

Lemne wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 12:14 pm Today I've started working through the house getting rid of everything we don't use. Unfortunately this is usually the thing you need immediately after throwing it out!
Word ;)

Yorkshire: You mean something like a Tilly or Bialaddin ?
Mantle lamps throw out much more light then the plain flame Hurricane types ever will, the problem is mantles are a bit delicate (however, according to the Ebay search I just did they're really easy to get)
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

ForgeCorvus wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 6:05 pm
Lemne wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 12:14 pm Today I've started working through the house getting rid of everything we don't use. Unfortunately this is usually the thing you need immediately after throwing it out!
Word ;)

Yorkshire: You mean something like a Tilly or Bialaddin ?
Mantle lamps throw out much more light then the plain flame Hurricane types ever will, the problem is mantles are a bit delicate (however, according to the Ebay search I just did they're really easy to get)

Basic flame jobbies Vs the pressure type hard to get parts for / trust old seals I've got a Coleman duel fuel great light but when you've had one leak and ignite a jet of fuel from a leaky tap I wouldn't fancy using one in doors :shock: suppose paraffin isn't as flammable....

I've got a big camping Gaz gas duel mantle gas job but the gas cartridges are pushing £8 each if I want bright light and the usual prepper collection of every battery torch currently on the market.. ;)

https://www.trekkinn.com/outdoor-mounta ... 36731055/p

And in a big poo hits the fan the gentle light of the oil lantern will not stand out too much against those with candles
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

I get what you're saying about SHTF 'glow'.

I'll just leave this here in case anyone is interested
https://classicpressurelamps.com/
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

ForgeCorvus wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 3:44 pm I get what you're saying about SHTF 'glow'.

I'll just leave this here in case anyone is interested
https://classicpressurelamps.com/
I'll add this one as well:

https://www.parafinalia.biz/paraffin-lamps-123-c.asp

He has an Ebay store also.
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
Rusty74

Post by Rusty74 »

diamond lil wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 8:26 am LOL rusty I shouldn't laugh, but that's the job my husband had for 12 years. He worked in Edinburgh and drove a Toro around multi storey flats, and people dropped nappies and bottles of water on his head :shock:
good machines "Toro" we have a few but mainly ramsoms (which i think are crap tbh),and one old hayter which i think is ace but i would as it my old machine lol,as for the nappies and water on his head tell him i feel for him lol...
Remember the rule of the 7 P's, proper planning and prepperation prevents piss poor performance...
Rusty74

Post by Rusty74 »

Yorkshire Andy wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 8:33 pm
jansman wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 7:44 pm Also a fire extinguisher and blanket,and first aid kit.Easy to reach from the yard.

Cleaned and fettled the hurricane lamps.Got enough paraffin now.

Fixed a leaking workshop roof. All these things add up.
Keep an eye in Lidl the anaf extinguisher range be it the small 1kg or the big 6kg powder are aluminium and
resin / plastic even the pin and levers so will stand up to outdoor conditions one of the 1kg is screwed to the side of the playhouse near the BBQ year round

I got 2 more hurricane lanterns from the local car shop £5 each to en standard not as good as the feuerhand one but puts out almost as much light ... Got some more lamp oil from the Yorkshire trading co yesterday..

Got my eyes on one of the old vintage duplex paraffin brass lanterns remember my gran having one kicked a lot of light out from memory (usually only lit at Christmas)
my grandparents had these as did my parents (though my parents where just for show),have seen them lit in power cuts as a kid and are really good the one my parents have has a grouse scene going round the globe...
Remember the rule of the 7 P's, proper planning and prepperation prevents piss poor performance...
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Had a wander round the garden tonight and put random stuff away and secured all items I can .....

Now on with another epic charge the battery night all rechargeable torches have been charged currently working through anything that runs on rechargeable batteries is charged and the spare batteries likewise....

Doubt we will get this storm full on but no harm in having every thing charged as the nights draw in

Thanks all re the oil lamp
Attachments
Screenshot_20200819-213328.png
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Lemne

Post by Lemne »

I've made a start this week with memorising numbers. I can remember childhood numbers of people but since mobile phones nobody memorises them anymore.

I've started with my debit card which I now know off by heart so if I didn't have it with me I could still pay for something over the phone and have almost got my brothers mobile number down before I move on to the next.
Le Mouse

Post by Le Mouse »

Booked my flu jab.

Continuing to squirrel supplies away so I'm in a good place before the schools and universities go back.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

I've just had two mega sessions of online purchasing **faints** The first was with Healthy Supplies: lots of nuts and seeds bought, spent enough to get free delivery plus a free gift of a kilo of unblanched almonds. I'm experimenting with pea protein - it has all essential amino acids, so its said, and very easily storable, of course.

And I've just been on the Real Seeds website - spent the most I've ever spent on seeds **faints again**. Easy stuff, cut and come again and salad stuff, if it feels advisable not to go out, or I *can't* go out for whatever reason, between this and my new little 3 tier sprouter (more layers are available :) ) I'll be sorted.

One purchase *not* yet made is the DIY stuff at Wickes - I'm going to cave, and get raised beds, but I can't order them yet, my fencer has abandoned me so my side gate is stuck shut still. It will happen.