What Preps are you doing this week? Part 7.

How are you preparing
Lemne

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 7.

Post by Lemne »

diamond lil wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 7:49 pm By that time I think I'll have had enough soup to do me for the rest of my life :mrgreen:
I get caught out all the time with the weights of the dried stuff. I ordered 250g of dried chives last week and have enough to last me 10 years :)
GillyBee

Post by GillyBee »

I am still working through the kilo of chamomile flowers I bought many years ago. They must have lost some strength by now but still smell as good as commercial chamomile teabags...
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

I was a brave bunny today :lol: I went into a shop for the first time since 19th March! I've expanded the radius of my walks a bit, out to a big charity shop I used to go once a fortnight. They're all arrowed up, doors permanently open to help ventilate. The room is as big as an old school hall, and there was only one other customer in, so I wasn't *really* being brave :mrgreen: they had a salad sprouter in, a 3 tier one, for £5. It just looks like it could use the windowsill space much better than a single layer.
Rusty74

Post by Rusty74 »

called out to a tree down in work today so came home with a nice van load of sycamore,still abit more to pick up tomorrow if it anit already gone,wife rolls her eyes when she see's more logs coming home just wish she could understand how much we go through in a year,what with the rayburn going every day and and her thinking she stoaking number two boiler room on the ss titanic in the winter,when the log burners going as well,always remind her what would happen if i got laid up for 12 months,she my be a fantastic teacher and great at her job but to be fair i wouldnt let her use a juinor hacksaw never mind a chainsaw or an axe for that matter :lol: :lol: :lol:
Remember the rule of the 7 P's, proper planning and prepperation prevents piss poor performance...
Le Mouse

Post by Le Mouse »

Arzosah wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 9:11 pm I was a brave bunny today :lol: I went into a shop for the first time since 19th March! I've expanded the radius of my walks a bit, out to a big charity shop I used to go once a fortnight. They're all arrowed up, doors permanently open to help ventilate. The room is as big as an old school hall, and there was only one other customer in, so I wasn't *really* being brave :mrgreen: they had a salad sprouter in, a 3 tier one, for £5. It just looks like it could use the windowsill space much better than a single layer.
YAY! :mrgreen:

My mum hasn't been well so I have been forced to break shielding and use public transport this week and visit actual shops :shock: I've timed Aldi visits so they are late in the evening so that's not bad. But I was in town on Saturday morning and was made incredibly anxious about the lack of distancing in some shops. I will say though that the local bus company is pretty good - enforced distancing on the buses and masks compulsory (well, mostly... :roll:) and the ticket app tells you how many seats are free on the oncoming bus.

The car I had on reserve fell through as the former owner decided they weren't going to part exchange any more, so I've been car hunting again. I've found one that I might go look at tomorrow.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Hiya Mouse - late evening seems to be very good for the supermarkets, nice one. Thats very interesting about the ticket app, I don't use apps like that yet, though I've no objection. I've been watching my local buses to see how many people are on, and they're very quiet - I wouldn't have a problem using them at that amount of space.
Bosworth

Post by Bosworth »

Ocado have turned their smartphone app back on and you can get deliveries in my area (North London) for the next day, or at worst the day after.

Normality returning and therefore a great opportunity to recycle stocks and top up.

I tend to stockpile poor quality stuff that I don’t normally eat so I’ve made myself a covenant to donate it all to food banks rather than let it go off and chuck.
PreppingPingu

Post by PreppingPingu »

Ordered the small chest freezer for the shed now it's pay day. Just trying to get as much in place as possible before autumn and while income is ok, especially with the allotment in full swing of raspberries and the like. Set the dehydrator to work too yesterday. I was inspired by Lil's purchase of dried stuff - made me get going on drying my own again. Got the guttering ready to put on the shed and a water butt to plum in to said guttering. (Job for Monday when hubby is on a day off to help me.) Found and picked up a free compost bin on facebook buy n sell too so I feel quite productive this weekend!
"Today is the tomorrow that you worrried about yesterday" - unknown
"Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast" - Red Dwarf
(Area 3)
Lemne

Post by Lemne »

We've measured up for new shelves in the attic this weekend ready to fit next week. We're in a flat so no outside space but a big attic. I can't wait to get everything organised so I can see where I am up to, its all a bit erratic at the mo. I've also increased my buying this week as I have started to notice all the long dated food is going out of stock round me. That's a new thing here. I'm buying for another possible lockdown but also because we are both self employed and there may be hard times ahead. I'm also dehydrating and getting ready to pickle, jam and can.
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

Lemne wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 8:30 pm We've measured up for new shelves in the attic this weekend ready to fit next week. We're in a flat so no outside space but a big attic. I can't wait to get everything organised so I can see where I am up to, its all a bit erratic at the mo. I've also increased my buying this week as I have started to notice all the long dated food is going out of stock round me. That's a new thing here. I'm buying for another possible lockdown but also because we are both self employed and there may be hard times ahead. I'm also dehydrating and getting ready to pickle, jam and can.
Beware the temp changes in an attic. I've used mine but ended up shipping a lot out after measuring really high temperatures in summer.
Also watch out for critters getting to your dried stuff up there.

Currently eating my way through all sorts of scoff BBE 2017 and 2018 Only major spoilage was a batch of tomato puree in tubes. Some Uncle Bens sauces looked a bit odd but cooked and eaten ok.

http://www.uk-preppers.co.uk/forum/view ... ft#p188142
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong