What Preps are you doing this week? Part 7.

How are you preparing
jansman

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 7.

Post by jansman »

diamond lil wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 8:48 pm Well I finally did something about the heating. We're really struggling with the coal - sooner or later one of us is going to break an ankle or worse on the back step, hauling coal in and ash out twice a day. So I bought this :twisted: Calor gas heater.
Not my pic, got from google.
I looked at that very model, thinking ahead to when the eco- police ban solid fuel :lol: Let us know how you get on with it. ;)
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

Will do Jansman. It is huge. Far bigger than it looks in the pics. Solid cast iron but easy to wheel around. Waiting for the end of the month to get some money, then we'll get in a couple of cylinders and try it out.
jansman

Post by jansman »

diamond lil wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 6:19 pm Will do Jansman. It is huge. Far bigger than it looks in the pics. Solid cast iron but easy to wheel around. Waiting for the end of the month to get some money, then we'll get in a couple of cylinders and try it out.
Thanks.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Arwen Thebard

Post by Arwen Thebard »

A good prompt to go fill up our gas bottles ready for the winter, while we still can, thanks. Seems very premature though in lovely sunny 25 deg weather and at £40 a 15kg / 13kg bottle its not cheap is it? :o :shock: (Shows how long ago I filled these up.)
Arwen The Bard

"What did you learn today?"
Arwen Thebard

Post by Arwen Thebard »

Might be worth looking on Gumtree or Ebay. We bought a (used but full) gas bottle on there once and got a free Calor gas fire and regulator thrown in, for what a replacement full tank cost.
Arwen The Bard

"What did you learn today?"
Rusty74

Post by Rusty74 »

was thinking tonight after work and done my own gardening round,while stitting in the hot tub chilling out could the water be filtered in a SHTF case from the hot tub???we do have a few rain water barrels off the log sheds roofs and i do know of a fresh water spring within 10 minute walk of our place,but the gallons the hot tub holds could it be used for drinking water???
Remember the rule of the 7 P's, proper planning and prepperation prevents piss poor performance...
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

Something I heard on QI, some (or might of been most) bath tubs have more bacteria on them then the toilet..... Basically because we put more effort into cleaning the karzi.

I suppose that as long as you keep up with your pool maintenance (after all a hot tub is just a very small pool) then the water is just as easy to use as any other around the home.... And depending on your roof, might even be easier then the waterbutts.

I'll leave you with these
https://modernsurvivalblog.com/preps/dr ... emergency/

https://www.waterbuttsdirect.co.uk/news ... rainwater/
http://homewaterharvesting.com/how-to-f ... -drinking/
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
bobble

Post by bobble »

Decided to buy more bags of compost with a view to growing more veg next year.
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

A couple of those mention UV sterilization...E.g "Perhaps the most straightforward disinfection technique is using a UV sterilisation system."

Surely, boiling would be pretty simple too! OK. Chemicals might be an issue, but not with water butt harvested rain or hot tub harvested rain.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

jennyjj01 wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 5:41 pm
A couple of those mention UV sterilization...E.g "Perhaps the most straightforward disinfection technique is using a UV sterilisation system."

Surely, boiling would be pretty simple too! OK. Chemicals might be an issue, but not with water butt harvested rain or hot tub harvested rain.
[/quote]

Sadly nearly all the links I can find are about pre-existing setups rather then what to do during an Event.
I read an article on rainwater harvesting (which I can't find any more) that talked about some roofing materials being unsuitable (felt flat roofs and 'asphalt shingles' )
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar