What Preps are you doing this week? Part 7.

How are you preparing
diamond lil

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 7.

Post by diamond lil »

Andy where did you get baking powder?
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

diamond lil wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 10:27 am Andy where did you get baking powder?
Local petrol station spar shop :)
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

Wow. ok. I can't get it on Sainsbugs and need it, will send husband out to find some. TY.
bobble

Post by bobble »

Also try Home Bargain, they had both baking powder and bicarb and flour on Thurs when I went shopping! 🙂
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

None reachable fromhere. I just got some on ebay, thanks Preppers :mrgreen:
PreppingPingu

Post by PreppingPingu »

Rotated out of the garage and into the kitchen some tinned tomatoes and baked beans, some jars of Olives and pesto, and coffee. Now need to add those to this weeks shop to restock and then some extra on top. Realised we'd used all the spare stock of UHT Soya milk that a family member needs as during the panic buying phase everything was so limited we were thankful for our spares to use. So need to buy lots more of that again. Also paid off the small amount that had been on a credit card - don't want any debt hanging over us for the next year as we watch how life unfolds. I had been preparing by putting some money by over the last few weeks so when this month's bill came through I could deal with it.
"Today is the tomorrow that you worrried about yesterday" - unknown
"Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast" - Red Dwarf
(Area 3)
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Picked up a "camping" fridge in Lidl (£40) my other one had got a bit rattle in the fan bearings old ones gone to work for my pack up / drinks rather than using the communal fridge ATM ..

It's an extension / overspill and camping trips it cools to 20 degrees below ambient temperature which unless it's bonkers warm in the cool of the pantry / glory hole / bomb site of dumped crap ;) it will cope well

Also cleared a shelf of crap in there to the bin :lol:

So I've got some more overspill tin / shelf stable food space to fill at the weekend :mrgreen:

pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

Yorkshire Andy wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 7:28 pm Picked up a "camping" fridge in Lidl (£40) my other one had got a bit rattle in the fan bearings old ones gone to work for my pack up / drinks rather than using the communal fridge ATM ..

It's an extension / overspill and camping trips it cools to 20 degrees below ambient temperature which unless it's bonkers warm in the cool of the pantry / glory hole / bomb site of dumped crap ;) it will cope well

So I've got some more overspill tin / shelf stable food space to fill at the weekend :mrgreen:
This one Andy?

https://www.lidl.co.uk/en/p/outdoor-act ... box/p32347
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

pseudonym wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 7:54 pm
Yorkshire Andy wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 7:28 pm Picked up a "camping" fridge in Lidl (£40) my other one had got a bit rattle in the fan bearings old ones gone to work for my pack up / drinks rather than using the communal fridge ATM ..

This one Andy?

https://www.lidl.co.uk/en/p/outdoor-act ... box/p32347

Yes that's the one :)

One draw back is they have no thermostat but this one does have a control knob for fan speed / rate it cools by

It does make a bit of noise with the fan but I have no problems sleeping through it when camping ..

They do tend to start struggling about 25°c camping I boost it on those days with a couple of ice blocks (mist camp sites have a free freezer for ice packs but bought ones tend to grow legs.. 80% full pop bottles with a splash of orange cordial seem to get left alone :lol:

The 12v side comes in handy when traveling to keep the post got the tent up alcohol and first nights bbq meat chilled

They work better if food is chilled before putting in but you can't grumble..

My parents have a large igloo branded unit it's a monster and never struggles with the heat...

Their cool boxes are also the best I've found

I picked this model up for £30 on eBay a good few years ago big camping shop including beer wine and pop and 2 bags of ice cubes from Aldi 2 days 48 hours at 25to 30°c was still ice floating at the bottom... (And nothing was pre chilled

Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

On the subject of cooling and refrigerator tech

I'm looking into a DIY version of this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/HopfenH%C3%B6h ... erg&sr=8-1

Large plastic sewer pipe is easy enough to get it's just the internal pull up / racking I'm struggling with the construction ideas of so far it's a plastic rod with wooden discs or heavy rubber like a drain rod plunger .. or make something out of steel but that's just going to be heavy..

The water table here is high so it's going to need to be totally water tight and sealed (,got some solvent weld )

I think I know of a man with a petrol post borer