What Preps are you doing this week? Part 7.

How are you preparing
preppergb

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 7.

Post by preppergb »

Spent an hour downloading the local county Highways and rights of way maps from the council website. Cost nowt which is much cheaper than buying the latest OS maps :)

Also looking into adding an Artemis p700 air pistol to my collection as a close quarters ratter, lockdown appears to have seen a huge increase in the number of rodents coming out during the day.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

preppergb wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 9:33 am Spent an hour downloading the local county Highways and rights of way maps from the council website. Cost nowt which is much cheaper than buying the latest OS maps :)

Also looking into adding an Artemis p700 air pistol to my collection as a close quarters ratter, lockdown appears to have seen a huge increase in the number of rodents coming out during the day.

Hunting for food no over flowing cafe bins . No mushed up Greg's sausage rolls, no dropped chippie chip's.... No drunks pavement pizzas or dropped kababs....

Bar the pavement pizza I feel sort of sorry for them ;)
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
cbp125

Post by cbp125 »

jennyjj01 wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 10:59 pm
cbp125 wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 9:07 pm Feeling really happy today, I managed to set up and send my first email without internet! I routed my email 680km via 40m hf. It was far easier than I thought and quite fun but I love the idea that I can send and recieve emails from anywhere in the world without the internet. :D :D :D
Uh? I'm intrigued. Looking into ham radio, which is what i think you are on about.
Was this a radio station to radio station text transmission of some sort, or did it bob into the internet long enough to find it's way to a proper internet email client?
Yes I was talking about ham radio. It was a full email sent radio to radio only, at the other end the station plumbs in back into the internet if requested which allows you to email anyone in the world without internet at home/or unavailable.

It can be used 3 ways
Route via the internet only (boring)

Route via ham radio over long distances then into the internet to continue its journey. (this helps if the internet is down/or unavailable or if you just dont have internet but it relys on the other station having a working internet to conclude its journey)

Route only over ham radio (this would be needed if there ever was total internet blackout(unlikily worldwide)or to keep emails private offline)

Either way it was quite fun to do!
Stonecarver

Post by Stonecarver »

Once things calm down I will be ordering a freeze dryer. People worry about what will happen to their freezers if no power. Well to me at least this is answer. Plus many more uses. Honestly I have lost any desire to keep money in the bank. As Jansman said..EVERYTHING is taken in a panic. Just took delivery of 40 20l buckets. Will be filling every single one.
Not worried about powering the whole house,just eating hot food,getting a brew,seeing through the dark,and staying warm.
Jansman
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

Stonecarver I have never even heard of freeze dryers. Can you tell me about them? That sounds an excellent idea.
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

Stonecarver wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 9:46 pm Once things calm down I will be ordering a freeze dryer.... Just took delivery of 40 20l buckets. Will be filling every single one.
Freeze dryer sounds Intriguing.So. Expensive! I too am building up reserves in multiple formats.
But WOW. Where are you going to stash 40 full 20L buckets of food? (I ask, because I look forward to raiding you when my couple of year's worth runs out :) :) :) )
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
itsybitsy

Post by itsybitsy »

diamond lil wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 8:20 am Stonecarver I have never even heard of freeze dryers. Can you tell me about them? That sounds an excellent idea.
Your hubby will have a sh*t fit if Amazon pulls up outside with a freeze dryer on the van! :lol:
Pete_59

Post by Pete_59 »

Well I finally got around to setting up my nice new Berkley water filter, unfortunately I should have read the instructions before I started and I would have found out that I needed some food colouring to check that everything is working, I thought I had some in the cupboard but I can't find it so I'll have to pick some up on my next shop. Other than that it was fairly easy, cleaning and priming the filters was fun with me ending up a little damp :roll: just waiting for the first batch to filter through and see what it's like.
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

itsybitsy wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 9:02 am
Your hubby will have a sh*t fit if Amazon pulls up outside with a freeze dryer on the van! :lol:
[/quote]
He's having a lot of them lately. Fits, not freeze dryers. I'm confident his battery will wind down soon.. he's learning that prepping works :twisted:
cbp125

Post by cbp125 »

Pete_59 wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 11:41 am Well I finally got around to setting up my nice new Berkley water filter, unfortunately I should have read the instructions before I started and I would have found out that I needed some food colouring to check that everything is working, I thought I had some in the cupboard but I can't find it so I'll have to pick some up on my next shop. Other than that it was fairly easy, cleaning and priming the filters was fun with me ending up a little damp :roll: just waiting for the first batch to filter through and see what it's like.
We love our berkley filter, I didn't bother with the food dye test, you can tell if the connection is secure by where the scummy deposits build up.... sounds worse than it is. Also check on ebay or amazon for British Berkefeld ATC. They are a dam sight cheaper than original filters and work better. I have the largest filter which takes 8 filters so it would have cost a bomb to fill up. Also the rounded top of the british design stops the water splashing all over you when filling!

Water tastes great tho