What Preps are you doing this week? Part 7.

How are you preparing
Rusty74

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 7.

Post by Rusty74 »

more logs cut split and stacked this morning but thats normally my saturday morning,we use alot here with the rayburn going every day just glad we never have to buy them would hate to think of the cost over a year!!!!base dug out for log shed number 6,all the soil riddled through and topped up the veg patch with it(hate to waste anything lol)layer of old bricks in the bottom of base just need to try and get some crush n run this week
Remember the rule of the 7 P's, proper planning and prepperation prevents piss poor performance...
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

Nearly emptied the six by six shed, fixed the new(to me) six by eight.
Got to shift the 6x6, enlarge the base and erect the 6x8.... Then fix the 6x6, put down a new base and stick the 6x6 on it

Then think about how I'm going to raise the roof on the five by seven so I can stand upright inside it, without interfering with the covered work area next to it.

Fake-reosote everything to within an inch of its life

Three sheds isn't excessive is it??
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
jansman

Post by jansman »

ForgeCorvus wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 4:35 pm Nearly emptied the six by six shed, fixed the new(to me) six by eight.
Got to shift the 6x6, enlarge the base and erect the 6x8.... Then fix the 6x6, put down a new base and stick the 6x6 on it

Then think about how I'm going to raise the roof on the five by seven so I can stand upright inside it, without interfering with the covered work area next to it.

No its not.Without sounding like it's one- upmanship,I have four.Sheds are the mark of civilised and practical men! Regarding creosote,I bought some at a cattle market,25 litres,about 5 years ago.Proper stuff. I was told that the stuff with the phenols was still allowed for ' industry '.Don't know if that's true? I mix mine with sump oil to stretch it.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
itsybitsy

Post by itsybitsy »

Arwen Thebard wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 8:34 am Time of year to re evaluate the general health, fitness and diet routine. The most important prep of all IMO.

I managed to loose over a stone last year and plan to do the same in the next 12 months using a combination of basic portion control and daily exercise, with a hefty dose of determination thrown in.
Same. My downfall is not food, it's that I enjoy wine too much! :lol: :oops: :lol:
cbp125

Post by cbp125 »

jansman wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 5:50 pm
ForgeCorvus wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 4:35 pm Nearly emptied the six by six shed, fixed the new(to me) six by eight.

No its not.Without sounding like it's one- upmanship,I have four.Sheds are the mark of civilised and practical men! Regarding creosote,I bought some at a cattle market,25 litres,about 5 years ago.Proper stuff. I was told that the stuff with the phenols was still allowed for ' industry '.Don't know if that's true? I mix mine with sump oil to stretch it.
We use old engine oil mixed 50/50 with diesel fuel, we pick the oil up from a local car dealer. It stinks to put on and we wear full ppe but you get no rot or fungus growing on anything. It is also far cheaper than creosote. I am usually very pro environment but I don't like slapping chemicals onto wood each year whilst still watching the fences and shed rot. I would rather do it once and the fences last years and years.
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

Yes you can still buy the real stuff (20ltrs or more for use on smallholdings and other 'professional' uses).... However you're not supposed to use it on or within a certain distance of your boundaries and the owner of next door (who doesn't live there) loves a good lawsuit (also why I don't use sump oil, tar based paints or some weedkillers anywhere near that fenceline) .

https://www.creosotesales.co.uk/ is one online source..... My local builder's merchant sells it
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

My father was always one for mixing old engine oil with creosote . It probably helped he worked for the council at the tip where people came to dump the stuff so had an inexhaustible supply. Around thirty years ago we replaced the fence at the bottom of his garden . Some of the panels have had to be replaced , nothing will stop decay after all , but most are still there. Biggest disadvantage is that even after all those years rub your hand across them and it ends up black.
On the subject of "proper" creosote one of the main ingredients is phenol ( or should that be are phenols) . Many years ago on a safety course we heard a story. The course was actually about access , scaffolds , ladders and so on but we heard the tale of a decorator who stood on a barrel of phenol to reach something. Top of the barrel must have been weak and he ended up falling into the barrel. He wasn't in there very long but managed to absorb enough to get a fatal dose of the stuff. Every so often one customer asks me to go over her chicken coops and she provides a product call creocoat . I don't suppose it is as long lived but the wood seems to be ok and it gets rid of the pests too.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Had a slight mishap whilst on furlough... (It was stuffed at the back of the grill and I didn't see it when I turned it on :roll: )

The aerosol extinguisher did it's bit.. the kitchen wet chemical extinguisher has been down on pressure a while service agent who comes to work didn't have the adaptor to re-pressurise it (I tried)

So now I'm back working £32 on eBay 3l multi class foam with a free fire blanket :lol: (£45 for an identical 2l anaf replacement like I've already got )

And I know the agent had the kit for commander extinguishers :lol:

https://www.fireprotectionshop.co.uk/fi ... isher.html

Was looking at the fireexo units but expensive for the poor fire ratings
Attachments
Screenshot_20200422-213745.png
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Glad you're all safe, Andy.
hobo

Post by hobo »

Bought a few of these power banks. Reduced to £19 from £32. Have used them before. 😀https://www.amazon.co.uk/RAVPower-Porta ... wer&sr=8-3