What Preps are you doing this week? Part 7.

How are you preparing
jennyjj01

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 7.

Post by jennyjj01 »

Well, today I got enough meat to top up our modest freezers. Went to a regular local butcher and had his last 800g of beef mince and his last leg of lamb. He will get more stock, but they and their wholesaler are out of chicken and not getting regular chicken deliveries. I did manage to get some chicken livers to make the next Apocalypse Bolognese. Yayyy. :tinfoil

The week has mostly been about family attitude adjustment. Getting there, but not without some interesting discussions. Deciding to not go to a Mothers Day family get together, pub meal !!! That made ME public enemy No1 in certain quarters. FFS. Government guidelines and common sense say it would be irresponsible to go.

Leaving the regular last minute buyers to do their thing, some were clearly struggling. Feeling a bit conflicted. I just don't want to be my usual ruthless self... at least not when I'm trying to sway the OH's opinion. Anything I bring home is a bonus, whereas some in the shops are getting desperate. My taking of the last bit of mince and lamb drew snidey comments from the next in the queue, but dammit, it was just 2 items on my list and I happened to get there just in time.

We are really embracing social distancing now, due to underlying health issues. It's agreed that there will only be infrequent and purposeful shop visits, but any time it can't be a quick in and out, we'll just come home. Walks and short drives permitted.

We have agreed to try to practice not killing each other, this week. I'm thinking of it as a bug-in rehearsal, or else I'd really empty the butchers counter. :evil:
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
munchh

Post by munchh »

Got the spare freezer out of the garage, its now full of iceland goodies, (it was last weekend before the crazyness happening here).
My youngests school had closed just before the full closure, so i had already started thinking of bored kids at home grazing through whatever they can get their hands on.

Ive been stuck at work (BT), told how engineers can deal with customers, using social distancing if they are entering a home to complete work, but still nothing about coming in and out of work buildings, so you would think nothing is going on, ive put "wash your hands as you enter the building" up all over our building, you would think i was asking everyone to join a cult!

Was supposed to be on a residential course all week but it was cancelled 2 days in.

Day off today, 1 son at home, wife and eldests last day at school.

Looks like its a trip to stand in a cue at 11am to see if i can get a few more bits and pieces for the pile, i found at work yesterday, wearing a mask makes people stay away from you, i like that.

Cupboards are always looking good, if they dont have bread i will try the q bottle of beer recipie my Mum gave me 😁
AREA 3
I'm not antisocial, just anti idiot.
If you use the phase "man up" you have alot to learn.
"Wise men speak because they have something to say, fools, because they have to say something" Plato.
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

I'd encourage everybody who can, to keep chickens. I had mine for a while and found them so easy to manage. I used a WW2 leaflet on chicken keeping and they laid nonstop for ten months of the year. Had to give up when I got ill and husband refused to have anything to do with them. I think he was scared of them :twisted: I still miss them.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

diamond lil wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 4:21 pm I'd encourage everybody who can, to keep chickens. I had mine for a while and found them so easy to manage. I used a WW2 leaflet on chicken keeping and they laid nonstop for ten months of the year. Had to give up when I got ill and husband refused to have anything to do with them. I think he was scared of them :twisted: I still miss them.

I've got one pissed off CHICKEN I've just put an anti crow collar on it (it is definitely a chicken I've had a good look it's got a vent and pop's eggs ) but it thinks it's top bird and a rooster..... It's not impressed but for the best I don't want it drawing attention to the coup on the allotment especially at the moment
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
preppergb

Post by preppergb »

36 new arrows purchased today, I dont use broadheads just well sharpened ordinary pointed ones, my compound bow keeps killing them.
Medusa

Post by Medusa »

Bit of planting to do tomorrow in the greenhouse. Husband keeps grabbing used F & E tanks from work which are thrown in the skip as they were great last year for growing stuff in and free! We also need to chop up more pallets for firewood as it has been a tad chilly here this evening. Son popped round last night and helped himself to a few bits from the store room so I have decided to put a lock on the door, not because I am mean and wont help my own but because he wasnt in need, just having a nosey and was hungry. I am getting slightly panicky about home security and want to do a couple of bits. Truck is full of fuel and have some in jerry cans as I guessed that there may be fuel shortages/restrictions coming. Also heard on the grapevine tonight that our Council is going to be insisting that waste from all households is double bagged, so it's likely that bin liners will be the next shortage. Forewarned family to stock up just in case. Had to update the contingency plan for pandemic at work today too and have had a couple of heated discussions with the Manager about what we should actually be doing v what the organisation wants/expects us to do. No working from home for me! Almost forgot! I ordered a case of wine :D
Growing old disgracefully!
HomeHardener

Post by HomeHardener »

Cut the grass and measured up for my raised beds (about 1.2 meters by 4 metres)
Everyday on my lunch break at work this week, I’ve popped around to a few local shops and bought a few tinned and dried goods here and there too, just to ‘beef up’ the supplies.
Went to my local Tesco’s at 8.30pm this evening (only supermarket within a 40minute drive) shelves were completely empty throughout the store, plenty of flowers for Mother’s Day though!
@Homehardening_uk
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

HomeHardener wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 11:06 pm, plenty of flowers for Mother’s Day though!
Mums getting a bag of plain flour and a bag of self raising = flowers :lol:

I'll get my coat :mrgreen:

HomeHardener

Post by HomeHardener »

Yorkshire Andy wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 11:10 pm
HomeHardener wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 11:06 pm, plenty of flowers for Mother’s Day though!

I wouldn’t give away my flour, I can’t get the stuff anywhere! What little I have I’ve been baking my own loafs every few days.
Flour is Defiantly a prep I failed on!
@Homehardening_uk
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

HomeHardener wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 11:18 pm
Yorkshire Andy wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 11:10 pm

I wouldn’t give away my flour, I can’t get the stuff anywhere! What little I have I’ve been baking my own loafs every few days.
Flour is Defiantly a prep I failed on!

When I lived at home before moving out ..I stashed some my mum hasn't found it...... It's vac sealed ... She now knows it exists and her biggest worry is if the wevals have found it.... Well it's sealed .. and I'll dig it out for her tomorrow so she can make me a cake :lol: (joking aside) there's plenty for us as an immediate family in the box I stashed all with silica gel sugar, flour, milk powder, rolled oats...

Once this is over she plans to replace it x2 and rotate it :x I think I've got my mum on side big time. .... She has admitted several times that for once I was correct to store food in the attic / under what was my bed my dad has a better idea what's kicking about he was the one that after 9/11 and the threat of CBRN ensured that we each had a respirator each....