What Preps are you doing this week? Part 7.

How are you preparing
Yorkshire Andy

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 7.

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

jansman wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 5:36 pm When you know how to use a chainsaw, they are not scary. I have a petrol and electric both have their applications. I love them. Agricultural colleges run courses on using them if you are interested.
Old tree surgeon told me to add about 10ml of redex to 5l of fuel plus the dose of 2 stroke oil... It blew lots of crap out for a minute whilst I was bedding in the new chain then settled down running nice and smooth (know they need to warm up from cold I'd warmed it up with the old chain)

Added to that briggs and Stratton fuel stabilizer dad's Makita 4 stroke Briggs and Stratton engined mower has sat since end of summer it started first pull with last summer's fuel
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

I've used chainsaws for much of my working life both petrol and electric and have used them for tree felling to shaping a jousting saddle tree. Respect for them but not a tool i find scary. A hand held circular saw, with a blade over 7" in diameter on the other hand is a tool that fills me with dread and i refuse to use the large ones some of which can be 12" . Far more dangerous in my view.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

grenfell wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 6:32 pm I've used chainsaws for much of my working life both petrol and electric and have used them for tree felling to shaping a jousting saddle tree. Respect for them but not a tool i find scary. A hand held circular saw, with a blade over 7" in diameter on the other hand is a tool that fills me with dread and i refuse to use the large ones some of which can be 12" . Far more dangerous in my view.
The startup / centrifugal force can be a blooming handful especially if you hit a knot...

I'm not a fan of the 9" grinder for much the same reason

grenfell

Post by grenfell »

Or you could combine the two
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0f4SGNMNvsA
A chainsaw angle grinder disk , think i'll give that one a miss .
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

Angle grinders (even the big beggars) are not a problem, nor are plasma cutters, muzzle-loaders or a whole range of stuff that shouldn't be sold to the public without some sort of safety course.... Its just chainsaws :oops:

I've got an Arbourtech (like Grenfell's vid) for the 4 1/2 'mangle grinder' and I'm OK with that.
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

I pulled that video off a google search . I didn't realise there were 9" versions . I don't have a problem with angle grinders as such and have done an awful lot of work with one and have carved with a chainsaw. Like most things it's using the right tool and techniques for the job .
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

grenfell wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 8:22 pm
I'd rather use a Stihl saw over a 9" angle grinder where possible as it's weight counters the inertia

Or you could combine the two
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0f4SGNMNvsA
A chainsaw angle grinder disk , think i'll give that one a miss .
Screenshot_20200307-223831.png

I've seen chainsaw flail discs to fit on a bush cutter a firm nope from me the metal ninja star blades are more than adequate

https://www.hse.gov.uk/safetybulletins/ ... utters.htm

I used to work for a tool shop / Stihl agent spent my free time watching the old chap in the back strip and service various tools be in electrical or petrol another skill that's handy to have such as repairing a broken recoil pull cord :) be it a generator or strimmer

jansman

Post by jansman »

Today I will be sowing tomatoes in the tunnel,along with first early spuds.Pots of compost are nice,and warm in the propagater now. I will brew some ale this afternoon,and sort my fishing kit for the last session of the river season next week.That's me.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Shrapnel

Post by Shrapnel »

Today I'll be clearing some room in a shed ready for a keg of home brew stout which will be racked mid week. Making some handles for hooks which are used to open doors instead of touching the door handles for ppl in work. Charging cordless tools batteries, screwdriver, drill and grinder. Cutting up some old wood for storage and keeping away from potential sources of the latest virus.
hobo

Post by hobo »

Plan today is to set up our sick room, not for the inevitable but just in case.