What Preps are you doing this week? Part 7.

How are you preparing
diamond lil

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 7.

Post by diamond lil »

I was reading in an American homesteading group I'm in, and several of the ladies in there have a full year's supply of meat in their freezers and bottled fruit in their cellars... I feel a panic attack coming on :mrgreen:
Arwen Thebard

Post by Arwen Thebard »

Only one years worth Lil? Amateurs. :lol:

Been gleaning in the fields this morning so that's our cauliflowers and roast spuds sorted for the year.

And all for FREE. :D
Arwen The Bard

"What did you learn today?"
jansman

Post by jansman »

Finally got the polytunnel covered and operational yesterday.Electric propagaters are on in there,and pots of compost are warming.On Sunday I shall sow tomatoes and chillies.Probably do some salad leaves and microgreens too.Picked up my shallots and first early spuds at my friend's nursery this afternoon. I have 12" pots of compost ( a dozen) warming in the tunnel too. I like to force some,and we usually have new spuds for Whitsun,although I am a little late this year.

Fowls have started laying again so that's good. cleared the rabbits too. They were a lot of work,and I don't want it anymore( profitable as they were).If we fancy a bunny,I will just walk up the lane to the farm and shoot one.I don't get out with the gun as much as I would like these days.Looking forward to Spring.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

It was frosty but nice here so I forked over the border. Whoopee :mrgreen: Can't do anything re veg yet as we're getting a shed soon and not sure how big or where exactly it will go. Once I get that sorted I can plan some veg beds. But last few years my garden has been totally bare at the end of March, soil been too cold to grow even weeds until into April so I have plenty of time.
cbp125

Post by cbp125 »

I got 7kg of potatoes dehydrated, just letting them prove before they are vac sealed and mylar'd. I also received a shiny new tool, a potato trench hoe, so I took the oppertunity to sand down all my gardening tools and rub in a new coat of linseed oil and pine tar, house smells wonderful. I'm hoping to get my polytunnel up at the weekend if it ever stops raining.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Had a bit of an impromptu reorganisation of some of my preps in the house, the shed isn't cutting it for some stuff, its been too damp so I've moved some in the house over the winter. Still got a lot to sort and if I can afford it I'll be looking to insulate the shed in the warmer months. Still got a way to go to rationalise all my 'crap' though although it definitely needs doing.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Deeps wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 7:58 pm Had a bit of an impromptu reorganisation of some of my preps in the house, the shed isn't cutting it for some stuff, its been too damp so I've moved some in the house over the winter. Still got a lot to sort and if I can afford it I'll be looking to insulate the shed in the warmer months. Still got a way to go to rationalise all my 'crap' though although it definitely needs doing.

What's the shed painted with?

Silly question but my allotment shed is always damp (water based fence / shed cupranol stuff)

And shed in the garden is painted inside and out with to seal 5* high voc solvent based stuff and it's MUCH drier
https://www.diy.com/departments/ronseal ... 158_BQ.prd

You can see the water bead off the surface

Is the shed ventilated? Few small vents some low some high encourage air flow
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

Got a new (to me) shed recently, its bigger then my current workshed (which it just knackered) so I'm going to have to have a shift around to make it fit.
Been looking at this stuff for the roof and maybe for when I insulate the storeshed.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CROMAR-Breat ... SwdndeMyOc
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Yorkshire Andy wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 9:10 pm
Deeps wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 7:58 pm Had a bit of an impromptu reorganisation of some of my preps in the house, the shed isn't cutting it for some stuff, its been too damp so I've moved some in the house over the winter. Still got a lot to sort and if I can afford it I'll be looking to insulate the shed in the warmer months. Still got a way to go to rationalise all my 'crap' though although it definitely needs doing.

What's the shed painted with?

Silly question but my allotment shed is always damp (water based fence / shed cupranol stuff)

And shed in the garden is painted inside and out with to seal 5* high voc solvent based stuff and it's MUCH drier
https://www.diy.com/departments/ronseal ... 158_BQ.prd

You can see the water bead off the surface

Is the shed ventilated? Few small vents some low some high encourage air flow
I suspect the damage has been done with airing tents and tarps to be honest mate, especially over the soggy months. We've got the old shed and the new shed and they're both painted with the same stuff although the old shed is more substantially built. There's definitely a 'flow of air', I'll be doing a rationalisation of my gear, I've already given away a big rucksack to a good home and promised a mess kit to another mate when I see him. I'm going for a holistic approach to it all. Well while keeping as much kit as I can. ;)
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Looks like us guys need a shed like a woman needs a kitchen sink...... :P