What Preps are you doing this week? Part 7.

How are you preparing
PreppingPingu

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 7.

Post by PreppingPingu »

Just doing a basic stock check and making sure my lists are up to date as I used up a few things from the back of the garage over the winter. Need to replace some coffee for example! Just want to make sure that I have a good month's worth of dried and tinned food just in case this virus does get out of control in the next few months. And also double check my bleach/disinfectants and paracetamol supplies. Due to the mental health of my eldest we had to lock away our meds securely ( which is a good thing to do anyhow,) so I need to check my supplies that as it's not something I locate and open up very often. Best to have and not need rather than need and not have! :D
"Today is the tomorrow that you worrried about yesterday" - unknown
"Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast" - Red Dwarf
(Area 3)
ClericalError

Post by ClericalError »

jansman wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 6:02 pm
Arzosah wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 8:50 am
jansman wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:04 pm

?????????
I think that was you and me first off, jansman - perennial edibles :) your lovely link to the backyard gardener (?) gave me a few ideas too. And I'd forgotten that I have sorrel in my garden too, its seeded itself from one plant I bought, and I get some lovely rosettes each year.
Sorrel soup is a favourite of ours Arzosah.
Yes, I was trying to say thanks rather than being cryptic or sarcastic - probably should have quoted.
I like sow thistles in potato and vegetable soups myself. I'd have to be literally starving to eat another dandelion but some weeds are very tasty.

Post by Post »

Sorted out the garage, went through the sell by dates on everything and made a list of extras I need.

Bought a pack of ffp3 face masks, just in case.
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

Bought several batches LOTS of 2L bottles of water 17p at Asda and Tesco. My really tricky hidey hole is steadily progressing towards a big stash of reserve drinking water which will just be stashed and forgotten. No rotating it will be done.

Had a guy in to start PROPERLY boarding the middle of my loft. Not cheap and having to do it in stages, while moving around and hiding existing stock from him and, for a while from MrJ. But MrJ popped his head in and saw several big bags of loo rolls in front of some, but not all, banana boxes of rations. It was a relief to 'fess up.*

So, he now knows I'm storing prep reserves up there, but hasn't yet got the measure of it.

He thinks I've just been a bit triggered by Brexit and Covid and faddy veggie foods which I keep harping on about :tinfoil . I'm just going to hide the prepping activities in plain sight from now on: Gradually reveal the extent. He's embraced the bulk buying of 2 for 1 etc.

* I haven't fessed up to some of the sell by dates :D
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Jenny, one of the things my missus moaned about was the 'best before/use by' dates. I just continued to explain that 'best before' wasn't a 'DO NOT EAT AFTER' and demonstrated it, she now happily eats stuff that's well 'out of date'. Look after the tins/packets and you'll be fine. Hopefully this anecdote helps, when WW2 started and guys were getting mobilised, they were given tins of 'bully beef' that was left over from WW1 and it was absolutely fine.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Bought some breadmaking gear in case of a lockdown.Now we are cushty.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

This possibility of a lockdown seems to be affecting even some of the most ardent of non preppers such as my sister in law. She has been looking for hand gel and of course was cataloguing her search from empty shelf to empty shelf on facebook. My wife found some for her although there were only two bottles left in our local chemist. While waiting to pick up my daughter i popped into the shops for a few bits and pieces. I wasn't looking for hand gel and for the most shelves were still full although there wasn't any powdered milk to be had. Lidl had also sold out of retsina but i'm sure that must be a coincidence.
jansman

Post by jansman »

grenfell wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 8:57 am This possibility of a lockdown seems to be affecting even some of the most ardent of non preppers such as my sister in law. She has been looking for hand gel and of course was cataloguing her search from empty shelf to empty shelf on facebook. My wife found some for her although there were only two bottles left in our local chemist. While waiting to pick up my daughter i popped into the shops for a few bits and pieces. I wasn't looking for hand gel and for the most shelves were still full although there wasn't any powdered milk to be had. Lidl had also sold out of retsina but i'm sure that must be a coincidence.
Powdered milk?Must get a couple of uht cartons.We only use a pint a week ( Mrs J doesn't drink it) and I only have a splash in my tea.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

I've started using it at work more than anything else as fresh or liquid milk goes off too quickly in a warm van. Funnily enough there was still a good supply of tinned evaporated and condensed milk available.
izzy_mack

Post by izzy_mack »

Been adding to the stores just in case, main things tea and uht milk (don't care for it but can drink it and NO way am I going to survive without a cuppa) now have 30 uht cartons, OH uses it at work so it will get used up if I don't need it. Tescos were having a clearance got 6 tins beans for 90p. Now have a years supply :D 4 tins spaghetti 58p, 4tins tuna £2.83, 5ltr cook oil £3.50, 4tins tom soup£1.28, 4 veg soup £1.20, and a child's winter jacket reduced from £17 to£7. Needless to say I had to go back for a bigger trolley :lol: . also collected over the last few trips lemon drink flu sachets now got 10 boxes from lidl , not just for me as I know the family will not have any and have loads of paracetamol in stock already.