What Preps are you doing this week? Part 7.

How are you preparing
Arwen Thebard

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 7.

Post by Arwen Thebard »

Finally got around to cleaning and sterilizing the two 50 gallon water storage drums I bought last summer, and filling them up. Seems kin of an odd job to be doing though with all this rain and flooding going on.
Arwen The Bard

"What did you learn today?"
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

diamond lil wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:32 am I havent even got a grab bag because I always thought nothing can happen here to make us have to run for it, but that's not Prepper Thinking is it :mrgreen: Apparently there's a huge deep underground gas main running cross country a mile north of here - can anything happen with them? And of course there's Lockerbie ..
My main worry is that the husband has stuffed the cat carrier up on top of a really high Ikea wardrobe and I can't reach it without a helicopter. And the cat is the first thing I'd want to grab if I had to get out.
What about a grab bag if one or other of you need to go to the hospital at short notice Lil ? A grab bag doesn't need to be for an exodus. Use that idea as a start point and think what you'd need or want if you were rushed into hospital, ask hubs what he would want too.
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

Yes true, hosp has happened a few times.
jansman

Post by jansman »

diamond lil wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 2:32 pm Yes true, hosp has happened a few times.
Mrs J has a hospital bag permanently packed as she has at least two more rounds of surgery this year.It's not a bad idea if you have health issues.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

Give her my best wishes Jansman.
jansman

Post by jansman »

diamond lil wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:20 pm Give her my best wishes Jansman.
Thanks Lil.

Robert Frost.

Me.
Nurseandy

Post by Nurseandy »

Still have beetroot in the ground (!) so will be roasting & pickling that today.
ClericalError

Post by ClericalError »

After a long hiatus I've just started checking and rotating stored food, first aid and household stuff. I have a lot of stuff but the upkeep has been poor for a long time - basically moved into newer home and dumped it all in a small room, then life intervened big time.

Spring is happening Chez Error so I also hope to expand on the tiny dent I made in the patch of weeds called the back garden this year. I'm a beginning gardener with very little time so I shall be browsing for tips on here for the more practical stuff. Yeah, I like roses, but there's a limit to how many rose petal sauces you can eat (first world problems).
jansman

Post by jansman »

Tomorrow I am dropping a rather large birch tree for my daughter.She is really stressed about it being near the house( I agree,as trees have their place,and not near buildings).Son in law will be helping,and we will have that sucker down in double quick time. Only problem was,I am short of two stroke oil for the chainsaw ( crap prepping!),but the lad ,being a mechanical fitter has made sure I now have 25 litres of the stuff!!! And four jerrycans of unleaded! Mind you,their drive needed re tarmacing,and he sent a gang of lads round,in exchange for fixing the shock springs on the foreman's car.

Robert Frost.

Me.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

jansman wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 6:38 pm Tomorrow I am dropping a rather large birch tree for my daughter.She is really stressed about it being near the house( I agree,as trees have their place,and not near buildings).Son in law will be helping,and we will have that sucker down in double quick time. Only problem was,I am short of two stroke oil for the chainsaw ( crap prepping!),but the lad ,being a mechanical fitter has made sure I now have 25 litres of the stuff!!! And four jerrycans of unleaded! Mind you,their drive needed re tarmacing,and he sent a gang of lads round,in exchange for fixing the shock springs on the foreman's car.
Sounds like a very sensible way to do things mate, building these 'connections' really helps things happen. I have similar arrangements with mates, even daft things like giving or swapping spare veg/jam or 'films', whatever, you build the connections. No doubt sometimes you'll not do as well out of these wee arrangements but they build trust, and knowledge too, you find out a mate knows a guy... etc. Don't get me wrong, I've helped neighbours out without any expectation, its not all done on a cynical basis, sometimes its just nice to be nice but people generally remember. I've had favours back from folk I wasn't expecting anything from.