What Preps are you doing this week? Part 7.

How are you preparing
diamond lil

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 7.

Post by diamond lil »

I'm not scared of anything with 4 legs (well maybe the odd man-killing tiger but haven't come across them very often up here :mrgreen:) It's when they have more than 4... or antennae :shock: :shock: :shock:
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

jansman wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 5:33 pm
diamond lil wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:13 am Men are very handy things, ratty or not. They're big and brave and fearless, and they kill scary things.
Like piders !! :lol:
I am up early anyhow, but I always make sure I get downstairs before Mrs J , because we NEVER know what’s the cats have dragged in , dead or alive! Live mouse this morning- it was lucky, as I ‘tailed ‘ it and put it outside. Top tip, always pick them up by the tail, so they can’t bite you. We have had starlings, mice, frogs ( a favourite of Eric our old Tom),pigeons and only once, a young rat! :lol: :lol:
We've got a killer too, through the night he likes to bring his prizes up to the bedroom and you can hear him crunch them. For some reason he's averse to the liver (I think that's what it is) and leaves them for us. Plenty half eaten birds too, whatever he leaves, its my job to get rid. Same with the boy dug and rabbits. He managed to catch a pigeon taking off one time and the missus was raging at him. I had to put it out its misery, the poor thing although he's got the hang of dispatching bunnies pretty quickly.
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

I used to work for a French lady whose cat used to leave a rat's head on her pillow. Every day, right about where her nose went :mrgreen:
Catweazle

Post by Catweazle »

My moggies bring in all the usual wildlife, plus the occasional bat and once a rabbits back leg. Luckily they're not allowed in the main house.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Tomorrow we are sorting our HOB ( hotel bag). Wife’s idea, as we have been seeing so many unfortunate folk on the news leaving their homes due to floods. It is about time for an update.

Also going to anchor the polytunnel frame prior to the new cover going on. Then I have a shed load of home brew to rack/ bottle. Then I will put a new chain on the saw, as I am taking a birch down on Sunday in my daughter’s garden. It’s a big sod, and too near to the house. Why people allow trees to grow near houses/ drains/ footings is beyond me.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Planted some raspberry bushes that were 'spare' up the back fields where I've planted my garlic. I'll be trying to add stuff as it becomes available, nothing to lose and it could add to my local foraging options. I'm quite partial to the wild cherries and brambles etc when I'm out with the dugs. :D
izzy_mack

Post by izzy_mack »

Deeps wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:52 am Planted some raspberry bushes that were 'spare' up the back fields
I keep apple cores and when I go for a walk in the woods I take them with me and disperse them. Just started doing this as I got the idea from an apple tree growing by the sheep pen in the field, harvested quite afew apples from it and realised that it could only have grown as a result of me chucking my apple core in the scrub when I was working there. Hadn't thought of recycling over production but will now take the mint I plan to dig out and plant it somewhere in the wild as soon as the weather lets me!
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

izzy_mack wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:51 am
Deeps wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:52 am Planted some raspberry bushes that were 'spare' up the back fields
I keep apple cores and when I go for a walk in the woods I take them with me and disperse them. Just started doing this as I got the idea from an apple tree growing by the sheep pen in the field, harvested quite afew apples from it and realised that it could only have grown as a result of me chucking my apple core in the scrub when I was working there. Hadn't thought of recycling over production but will now take the mint I plan to dig out and plant it somewhere in the wild as soon as the weather lets me!
I've thought about fruit trees up there, we have an apple tree in the garden and kind of run out of things to do with the apples though. :lol: I have considered other stuff like hardy herbs. I'll see how the garlic and the rasps go for now. Our new allotment is a short walk from the house now so that's the primary spot, just playing at it out the back fields for now.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Real Guerrilla Gardening!
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

jansman wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 4:55 pm Real Guerrilla Gardening!
That's what's inspired it aye. One of the other nearby fields I walk in is on the shortlist to become a school which might muck things up if there's more kids hanging about but I'll hopefully make the most of it in the mean time.