What Preps are you doing this week? Part 7.

How are you preparing
jansman

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 7.

Post by jansman »

Today being Tuesday,my ' Saturday',I shall be continuing what my wife has termed 'Operation Growbag' :lol: - The re- modelling of my vegetable garden. I now have the door frames fitted into the polytunnel frame,and the anti- hotspot tape is here.I'll get that sorted today,and then it's ready for the new cover.

When that is sorted,I shall move onto sorting ' The Bunker' as the kids used to call it. It is a brick outbuilding,where we store emergency kit,water,and overspill from our pantry.I want to update our hotel bags and food storage.We have a very good,and well stocked walk- in pantry,but I like to keep extra.Its six months + since the youngest left,and we have run the stocks right down.We now eat what WE like :D and we shall store accordingly.

It would appear that this Brexit thing will take eleven months to ' align',so I am guessing that the trucks will keep rolling as normal.Someone please correct me if I have read that wrongly! That gives me sufficient time to restock a bit extra and preserve garden produce this Summer.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

We've started allotment/growing preps too, Her Maj has been doing her thang with seeds.

My main prep this month and year is to sit on my hands and not buy any more prepping or camping gear, the credit card has crept up so needs dealt with.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Deeps wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 7:42 am We've started allotment/growing preps too, Her Maj has been doing her thang with seeds.

My main prep this month and year is to sit on my hands and not buy any more prepping or camping gear, the credit card has crept up so needs dealt with.
I am actually getting rid of stuff. Do I really need three chainsaws and two pressure washers? That’s just the start, and as for fishing tackle...
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Arwen Thebard

Post by Arwen Thebard »

At last a (hard-ish) frost here in the East, so time to get the garlic planted.

Some clearing out to do inside the greenhouses and composts to turn, so that's my daily exercise sorted.
Arwen The Bard

"What did you learn today?"
Turkey Doughnuts

Post by Turkey Doughnuts »

Going to buy a bow, then try to plan a trip for sometime in the year to a bow hunting friendly place to get some practice here (closest I know is Denmark)

Began clearing ground at new allotment.

Will make a list of initial things to buy on my things to start with list, will have to start with the cheapest.
Medusa

Post by Medusa »

I have an EDC, I also have a BOB in my wardrobe but it is time that I made an additional couple of bags for SO and daughter who also live here. I have spent today sorting out what is now the spare room and reorganising my food/water/First Aid and medical preps. Had a conversation last night with SO about his organisation of the new truck and explained things like hi-viz, seatbelt cutter/window breaker and emergency beacons are no use if we cannot get to them in an emergency and asked him to relocate them. Also realised that as the truck has been lifted that the provided jack is useless and found something appropriate which we need to purchase. Still looking for an ideal property and thought I had found it last week, rural, bit of land, small stream through the land and off the grid power supply and in our budget - sadly was taken off the market the next day - gutted.
Growing old disgracefully!
PreppingPingu

Post by PreppingPingu »

The current virus outbreak has prompted my preps this weekend to be medical in nature. Just bought some extra bleach, disinfectant and tissues with my weekly shop. Will date rotate and add to pracetamol stores as well as get some more hand sanitizer bottles. Always have some in my bag due to working with the snotty 2-4 yr olds who don't wash hands etc so extra hand sanitizer won't be wasted! Also I'll grab some more rehydration sachets while I'm getting paracetamol.
"Today is the tomorrow that you worrried about yesterday" - unknown
"Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast" - Red Dwarf
(Area 3)
Jillybean

Post by Jillybean »

Arwen Thebard wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:08 am At last a (hard-ish) frost here in the East, so time to get the garlic planted.
Garlic is something I really want to grow, I keep on reading autumn is the time to plant, will it just result in a later harvest?
Medusa

Post by Medusa »

Jillybean wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 6:33 pm
Arwen Thebard wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:08 am At last a (hard-ish) frost here in the East, so time to get the garlic planted.
Garlic is something I really want to grow, I keep on reading autumn is the time to plant, will it just result in a later harvest?
I grew garlic for the first time last year and was pleased with the small harvest, but planted it in Spring. I planted some in Autumn last year too and was worried that it sprouted too soon. Interested to red answers to your comment.
Growing old disgracefully!
Arwen Thebard

Post by Arwen Thebard »

I've usually had decent results planting after the first frost, whenever that happens. This is the latest that I can ever remember planting though, more often its November or December. I know someone who puts her garlic in the freezer overnight before planting and always gets it in the ground during November.
Arwen The Bard

"What did you learn today?"