Help please

How are you preparing
diamond lil

Help please

Post by diamond lil »

Anybody know a foolproof way to insulate the regulator on propane gas cylinders? The only way I know is to pour warm water over it - but of course that just then freezes and the gas dies again :evil:
omega man

Re: Help please

Post by omega man »

Well you do seem to have found a gap in the market here, I just did a quick google for 'gas regulator insulators' and found very little.

The main tip seems to be ensuring the bottle is elevated from the ground as a start, then the full bottle insulation jacket (which I assume must also cover the regulator?)
here is an example of a full bottle jacket- eBay item number:232251474778

Can you not knock something up from some pipe lagging and good old gaffer tape or create an insulated enclosure to accommodate the job lot?

Sorry to not be more helpful.

OM
jansman

Post by jansman »

My brother lives in a big double axle Romany style touring van. He has the small (6kg?) bottles. He got a charity shop parka jacket and put that round the bottle.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

Thinking maybe get a guy to make a mini shed thing for it? A wooden box? then could raise the tank off the ground and lag it.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Only just seen this, Lil, but to me, it looks like jansman's brother has got a cheap, logical way of doing what you need.

The first time I had an outside tap, I lagged it in the winter by tying rags around it, they did fine.
featherstick

Post by featherstick »

Once lived in a smallholding with a range that heated the water. One winter I noticed there was never any warm water so had a look. The hot-water-tank was in an outbuilding and the cats had clawed the insulation off it. I lagged it back up with an old mattress and various bits and pieces and went on with my day. That evening I heard the most horrendous clanking and shuddering from the whole system. It was now so hot that all the pipes were expanding and pinging. I ran upstairs and ran a bath, and had to take baths every 2 days for the rest of winter. Less agreeable than it sounds as there was minimal heating in the house and getting in and out was a bit of a trial...any Lil I hope you find a solution quickly.
Stonecarver

Post by Stonecarver »

Not worried about powering the whole house,just eating hot food,getting a brew,seeing through the dark,and staying warm.
Jansman
Arwen Thebard

Post by Arwen Thebard »

Cheap pocket hand warmers worked for us in extreme conditions. ( -20deg with gas bottle regulator inside a caravan front box.)

OK they only lasted a few hours but once the sun was up and on the caravan it seemed to work again just fine.
Hand Warmers.jpg
Arwen The Bard

"What did you learn today?"
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

diamond lil wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:44 pm Thinking maybe get a guy to make a mini shed thing for it? A wooden box? then could raise the tank off the ground and lag it.
Is it a wall mounted regulator that's freezing?

Know for caravans you can get a truma special regulator with a 12v heating element

https://www.eurotete.com/gb/gas/eisex-o ... -of-truma/
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

No, just a 47kg propane cylinder sitting on slabs outside the kitchen. north facing wall of the house and gets no sun at all in winter. Looking through all the suggestions, ty everybody.
Featherstick we have had a stove like that,before we got this one :mrgreen: