Brexit in October?

How are you preparing
Deeps

Re: Brexit in October?

Post by Deeps »

grenfell wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:41 pm
I know what deeps means. I would say that as one gets older one tends to get more cynical and more accepting of the nature of things. When I was 21 ish I was certainly more hopeful and positive that the world could be changed for the better but a few decades later that youthful optimism has gone to a degree ( replaced by reality maybe?) . Not to say I'm not still optimistic but "plus ca change" and all that. Do what I can and don't worry about what I can't.
This. As you mature and see the same stuff happening you learn to let it wash over you, at least I have, I know a few old dafties who still think they're Wolfie Smith. I guess they need the drama more than I do, I'll deal with what I can rather than losing my sh*t over stuff I've got zero control over. I've learned to pick my battles, I've managed to have an impact on a local level, I've managed to curtail traveller incursions on local fields for example rather than say getting nuclear weapons banned. :lol:
Stonecarver

Post by Stonecarver »

jansman wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 6:45 am So. Everyone is pig sick of Brexit and the cartoon characters dealing with it and frankly ,I am beyond caring now. At the beginning of the year it really did look as though we may have to endure shortages etc. and (if?) it happens this year we may still.

Like many of us, I stocked up on items I considered essential.However, since our youngest moved out, we find that we use so much less! I truly cannot wait for our next electricity bill. :lol: The garden is producing as much as we need right now, and we will certainly be good for spuds well past Autumn.

The boss of Tesco said this week that stockpiling “ Long life foods” could be a logistical issue , “as Christmas stock would be in the system”.

Does anyone here feel that here may be a problem come Autumn, or are you pretty relaxed about it, like me?
I AM totally sick off brexit. Whether it happens or not what I do or dont do, most things will stay the same for me. I am ..like Deeps said...going to keep prepping. After all it is part and parcel of life now.
Not worried about powering the whole house,just eating hot food,getting a brew,seeing through the dark,and staying warm.
Jansman
Arwen Thebard

Post by Arwen Thebard »

jansman wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 6:45 am So. Everyone is pig sick of Brexit and the cartoon characters dealing with it and frankly ,I am beyond caring now. At the beginning of the year it really did look as though we may have to endure shortages etc. and (if?) it happens this year we may still.

Like many of us, I stocked up on items I considered essential.However, since our youngest moved out, we find that we use so much less! I truly cannot wait for our next electricity bill. :lol: The garden is producing as much as we need right now, and we will certainly be good for spuds well past Autumn.

The boss of Tesco said this week that stockpiling “ Long life foods” could be a logistical issue , “as Christmas stock would be in the system”.

Does anyone here feel that here may be a problem come Autumn, or are you pretty relaxed about it, like me?
An article this week from Business Insider;
"Almost half of Brits are stockpiling food, medicine and clothes as UK heads for the cliff edge"

Full article here;
https://www.businessinsider.com/no-deal ... ?r=US&IR=T

It's hard to know whats fake news / scare mongering any longer, everyone is just guessing at the end of the day.
Arwen The Bard

"What did you learn today?"
Arwen Thebard

Post by Arwen Thebard »

Here we go again..... :roll:

This morning the OBR reports that a "No Deal Brexit...... COULD...... cause a recession in the UK."

So the BBC reports that... wait for it. :lol:

OBR reports that a "No Deal Brexit...... WILL ......... cause a UK recession."

Needless to say Phillip Hammond is the first to the cameras and microphone across all channels. Perhaps it was just a slip of the tongue so to speak, but that one word makes a huge difference to how people will interpret the report. Don't tell me that the BBC doesn't have an anti Brexit agenda.
:tinfoil
Arwen The Bard

jansman

Post by jansman »

I am not reading it that way...No deal cause £30bn economic hit, watchdog says https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-49027889
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
PreppingPingu

Post by PreppingPingu »

Well today, hubby and I were watching the news and he said he said, " … yes ... I think we need to get some extra supplies in. He did vaguely moot this pre March (when I was already looking at what comes from Europe that I wouldn't want to be without), but he was more serious this time. He works in the motor industry and that is one of many that is currently being crippled due to the uncertainty of Brexit. As he is in a commission based job, we know that after Brexit his income will take a nose dive. (It's already suffered, weak pound/ lack of consumer confidence etc etc.) He knows I prep and has been casually on board with it for ages, however combine climate issues, geo-political issues and Brexit, we are now somewhat more united in our prepping goals. As part of our prepping we have settled an outstanding debt so from an "insurance" point of view are now going to put some cash this month into extra food stores. It won't go to waste what ever happens - you can always eat it! He even said " We need a month's worth of food in storage - what ever happens, supply issues to civil unrest or what ever, if you can survive the first month, you stand a good chance of seeing any event through. Something major will take time for the government to sort and supplies to be reinstated." ( I did tell him I already had a months worth of pasta, rice and stuff to put with it in the back of the garage!)

Anyhow, today I was reading that the opinion is that it is a 1 in 3 chance of a recession. Can't recall who said that - think it may have been the bank of England or a think tank but either way 1 in 3 is too much. I imagine as the end of October gets closer, folks will be putting it at 50/50. Either way, it does no harm to re evaluate what you have with the worst case scenario in mind in regards to Brexit. As we all say here in this forum - better to be prepared and to have and not need, rather than to need and not have.
"Today is the tomorrow that you worrried about yesterday" - unknown
"Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast" - Red Dwarf
(Area 3)
hobo

Post by hobo »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-47470864
10 ways a no deal Brexit may affect you article.
Nothing new here but it’s a good snapshot.
Arwen Thebard

Post by Arwen Thebard »

Lets not forget the likely impact on our EU neighbours;

"Eight Reasons The EU Will Suffer Far More Than UK From Brexit"
https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2019-08- ... -uk-brexit

And I see in the news today that the German economy is heading South much quicker than expected;
"'Scary' German output figures propel recession fears"
https://uk.reuters.com/article/us-germa ... KKCN1UX0JQ

Perhaps this is the reason Boris is in no hurry to fly over to Brussels?

A No Deal Brexit doesn't end well for anyone.
Arwen The Bard

Stonecarver

Post by Stonecarver »

Not worried about powering the whole house,just eating hot food,getting a brew,seeing through the dark,and staying warm.
Jansman
hobo

Post by hobo »

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... eal-brexit
Britons have spent £4bn stockpiling goods in case of no-deal Brexit
Research suggests one in five people have a food, drinks and medicine hoard worth £380