Brexit in October?

How are you preparing
Arzosah

Re: Brexit in October?

Post by Arzosah »

Arwen Thebard wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:05 am Went to Tesco's today for cheap fuel using a money off voucher (tight wad that I am) and again there was no AD Blue in the shop.
Not tight wad, sensible wad :)
An old chap was filling up his car in front of ours and hey presto, in the boot he also had two Jerry cans he was also filing at the same time. I asked if he was planning ahead for Brexit and he just smiled and said "You never know, you cant trust these B****y politicians" Nuff Said!
Oh my! There *are* coincidences, of course, but thats a big one, to have someone in front of you filling up Jerry cans.
In the store there was a distinct lack of decent looking fresh veg and there didnt appear to be any on trolleys waiting to be put out.
Very low bread count on the racks and virtually no lemon juice.
Its probably nothing. :tinfoil
I think so. I hope so.
jansman

Post by jansman »

My wife uses those Tesco petrol vouchers. Why pay more?
Fill yer boots!
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

jansman wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 6:47 pm My wife uses those Tesco petrol vouchers. Why pay more?
Fill yer boots!
Or Jerry can ;)

Best not start the supermarket fuel is poo argument, run down some 320 miles to Devon towing with a roof box 5 up managed 36mpg fill up locally at shell with normal unleaded.....

Coming home 4 up (eldest escaped to army cadet camp) averaged 30mpg and the car wasn't running as smooth as normal (filled up at Sainsbury's) totally unscientific but I've noticed poor running filling at "none branded" stations. In the past this car doesn't like super unleaded like my last car (it made a definite difference not in power just smooth running)

Not that it appears to harm the car Mrs Andy's last Punto had 130,000 miles and it's last owner run it constantly on supermarket fuel was nothing wrong with the injectors when I did the head gasket I ultrasonic cleaned them at work whilst they were out nothing visual came off them ...

I need to refill my generator and fill the Jerry cans before the dark cold nights ...
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Ysverine

Post by Ysverine »

Speaking of petrol and jerry cans, where's the best place to get small ones from? My partner's looking for one so they can store fuel for their moped, but we haven't the foggiest idea what kind of sizes are available or where to find them (aside from Halfords, but I can't help but wonder if they charge more simply because they're the first name that'll spring to mind for this sort of thing). Any recommendations?

With regards to stuff in supermarkets, it certainly does feel like there's less going round. I used to be able to find everything I needed for my weekly groceries without a problem, but now every time I go there's always something completely out of stock. Could just be sheer bad luck on my part, but eh... I dunno :tinfoil
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

I'd go for metal cans
Legal maximum you can store at a home address is 30l

Look for 10l explosafe cans

https://www.tudorenvironmental.co.uk/pa ... 0-ltr-size

More robust than plastic and if they are involved in fire they won't explode and if knocked over empty slower

Or a metal UN approved Jerry can

10l ideally as 20 is blooming heavy

Ysverine

Post by Ysverine »

Yorkshire Andy wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:16 pm10l ideally as 20 is blooming heavy
Knowing how tiddly the moped is, I'd wager even 10l might be too heavy for it... or just too bloomin' big to fit in the topbox :lol: Cheers though, Andy, I'll relay that to my partner and do a bit more digging, I'm sure something suitable will pop up!
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

AHH it's for on the bike not stashed at home ...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/PRIMUS-FUEL-BO ... ROKL5A1OLE

Arwen Thebard

Post by Arwen Thebard »

Another point on the Tesco stock issue. Mrs A informs me that they have closed down their butchers department completely and now only sell pre-packed cuts of meat. (Didn't even notice it myself, shows how little I go inside.) Its a big store too not a little local one, I wonder if this is happening anywhere else?
Arwen The Bard

"What did you learn today?"
Panther

Post by Panther »

Arwen Thebard wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 10:34 am Another point on the Tesco stock issue. Mrs A informs me that they have closed down their butchers department completely and now only sell pre-packed cuts of meat. (Didn't even notice it myself, shows how little I go inside.) Its a big store too not a little local one, I wonder if this is happening anywhere else?
Our large Tesco had really good delicatessen and fresh fish counters until a few weeks ago. Now there's just the normal pre-packed food. Nothing to do with Brexit, just them cutting back on staffing costs to save money.
No worries, we became converts to Lidl a few months ago. ;) Monthly shopping bills have dropped considerably, yet the quality of most food items has definitely improved. :)
And I'm finding some great items in those middle aisles. :D
There may be trouble ahead
But while there's moonlight and music
And love and romance
Let's face the music and dance
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

Re supermarket fuel, we had a Ford Scorpio V6 Cosworth and once - only once - husband filled up in Tescos instead of Shell. The twin cats both blew at the same time. Cost us £700 to repair. :shock: Never ever went went near supermarket fuel again.