No hot water L.O.L !

How are you preparing
jansman

No hot water L.O.L !

Post by jansman »

Well, I got up at 3 am as usual yesterday, went for a shave, and there was no hot water. The timer is set for midnight so I have hot water at dopey o’clock. So it looks like the element is toasted, no biggie.

We are all electric here, and fortunately the shower heats it’s own water. Anyhow, in true prepper fashion, we broke out the stove- top kettle and thermos flasks. Easy enough to sort out a drop of hot water for washing up etc.

I could get down to Screwfix and buy a new element and sort it myself, but in these days of building regulations, I shall wait for my plumber to get back from his Spanish villa😂.

It’s not a sexy Zombie Attack , I know, but it’s about rolling with the punches of life. :D
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Yorkshire Andy

Re: No hot water L.O.L !

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Sure it's the element and not the tank thermostat that lives under the little cover?

Usually when the element fails it trips the RCD or blows the fuse (eventually)

https://www.screwfix.com/p/dual-safety- ... at-7/21275

Just replace like for like if it's failed 2 wires live in and live out to the element

Simple enough to test with a multimeter a kettle and a bowl of cold water

Last time our element failed it woke the house my dad was looking out the window for a car crash!

When the plumber attempted to remove it, it damaged the tank so budget worse case for a new tank
images(2).jpg
images(2).jpg (7.71 KiB) Viewed 3444 times
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

jansman wrote: Sun May 26, 2019 6:49 amIt’s not a sexy Zombie Attack , I know, but it’s about rolling with the punches of life. :D
I bet it *was* zombies - they keep more of their brains than Walking Dead would have you believe :mrgreen:
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

This is very true Arzosah, gotta watch out for zombies! :mrgreen:
We haven't even got an immersion - if the fire goes out then we're onto boiling water on the stove a la Captain Scott.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

We had a new boiler installed by the council ..

Parents are still on the back boiler and immersion heater ..dad's argument is valid as in 20 years of been there they have spent £25 on parts (ignoring yearly services cost) gas solonoid coil went. And that's been it.. it works and all that ;) the heating we have in ours is all electronic controlled give me a mechanical timer and a thermostat any day!!!

jansman

Post by jansman »

Yorkshire Andy wrote: Sun May 26, 2019 7:09 am Sure it's the element and not the tank thermostat that lives under the little cover?

Usually when the element fails it trips the RCD or blows the fuse (eventually)

https://www.screwfix.com/p/dual-safety- ... at-7/21275

Just replace like for like if it's failed 2 wires live in and live out to the element

Simple enough to test with a multimeter a kettle and a bowl of cold water

Last time our element failed it woke the house my dad was looking out the window for a car crash!

When the plumber attempted to remove it, it damaged the tank so budget worse case for a new tankimages(2).jpg
Cheers Andy! Just looked up a YouTube tutorial,and I now understand the ( very simple) system. Ours is a new set up,so there is a ' re- set' button on the thermostat.It is now fully operational,thank you very much.On the strength of the thermostat kicking out,I shall pick up a new one in case it happens again,as obviously there was a reason for the failure.

Another little nugget for my onboard database! I would buy you a pint if you were nearer Andy.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

No worries glad it's sorted now just to clear the backlog of washing up ;-)