latest purchase

How are you preparing
old age prepper 70

latest purchase

Post by old age prepper 70 »

I went online and bought a single burner cooker with 4 gas cylinders as backup for my existing cooking items.

1 hexamine stove and fuel tablets
1 BCB Cookset
1 methylated spirit cooker
2 single burner gas stoves.

is this overkill on my part, or what ?
my philosophy is two is one and one is none.
Yorkshire Andy

Re: latest purchase

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

More the merrier especially with stoves.. availability of gas cartridges is usually a issue...

Look at the dragon fire stove (hexi replacement)

And a wood gas stove
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
unsure

Post by unsure »

sounds good to me .
all you have to remember is in very cold weather butane is useless . ive tried it at below zero and had to keep shaking and swapping cans over . that was a pain trying to cook breakfast on a one ring burner .
YES i walked away mid sentence , you were boring me to death and my survival instincts kick in .
jansman

Post by jansman »

Look up ' Brick Rocket Stove'.We have one next to our brick barbecue.Fantastically simple. Costs nothing.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

As an out and out stove tart, the more the merrier. Something else to factor in is the BBQ etc, if you're planning on staying put (and food smells aren't an issue for whatever reason) then fuel for what you already have is an option. If you are staying put and are up for some outdoor cooking then a tripod (either home made or off the shelf) is handy, as is a Dutch oven, brick stoves are also an option.

For on the hoof the easiest is probably gas in the short term, very controllable and a large can lasts for a long time. Longer term then you have to start thinking about your fuel options, if wood is no issue then the wood gassifying stoves are ideal. Lots of options depending on what you're anticipating.
old age prepper 70

Post by old age prepper 70 »

Hi Deeps, i have made myself a type of wood fire from an ikea cutlery drainer, I cut a hole in the side near the bottom, to feed the fire while cooking, and it does work.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

old age prepper 70 wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:58 pm Hi Deeps, i have made myself a type of wood fire from an ikea cutlery drainer, I cut a hole in the side near the bottom, to feed the fire while cooking, and it does work.
Aye, good shout, I've got one too, just never got round to cutting the hole to put the fuel. In a similar vein you have the homemade 'can stoves' although I've always viewed these as a good to know how rather than a 'go to'.

While there's no guarantees, if you know what you plan on prepping for it give you an idea of what you need. That's my logic anyway.
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

Intrigued I looked on the ikea website at their drainers and I'm frankly none the wiser , they all seem to be pretty standard wire jobbies which confused me with the "cutting a hole near the bottom" bit. Any chance of a picccy ?
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

grenfell wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:46 am Intrigued I looked on the ikea website at their drainers and I'm frankly none the wiser , they all seem to be pretty standard wire jobbies which confused me with the "cutting a hole near the bottom" bit. Any chance of a picccy ?
https://martinblack.com/2014/12/homage- ... obo-stove/
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

I've got plenty alternatives so I've not got round to it yet although I'll have a play eventually, they look fun.