Keeping safe your supplies at home

How are you preparing
grenfell

Re: Keeping safe your supplies at home

Post by grenfell »

Things will keep changing won't they? It's not something that I do an awful lot of so wasn't aware of the limitations. I'd brought something like 10kgs around three or four years ago when we had a rat problem which coincided with some customers asking me to put some down for them . Bulk purchase seemed a decent way to go cost wise. Came in a paper sack hence the swap to the plastic bucket. Had a google and it seems the maximum purchase without license , and as far as I understand , training is 1.5kg.
Further reading ,
https://thefarmingforum.co.uk/index.php ... on.145566/
Catweazle

Post by Catweazle »

Something that crossed my mind is that after a sudden crash, when people are getting hungry and desperate, it would be sensible to wear some outsized clothes and start acting as if you are prepared to eat dirt.

Look as ill and hungry as everyone else, or someone will shout "hoarder" and as "punishment" they'll leave you with nothing.
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

Catweazle wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 8:29 pm Something that crossed my mind is that after a sudden crash, when people are getting hungry and desperate, it would be sensible to wear some outsized clothes and start acting as if you are prepared to eat dirt.

Look as ill and hungry as everyone else, or someone will shout "hoarder" and as "punishment" they'll leave you with nothing.
I think that's a good idea prrobably because I was thinking along the same lines.
Saying that I already tend to wear larger sizes when working especially . My waist tends to be between 32-34" but working jeans can be anything up to 38" . It also doesn't help that as my daughter says I've haven't got a butt to speak of so even in the correct sized jeans the back end is baggy and if I've been working and have a coating of dirt she calls me "homeless man" :o So that's me just about set up.
Not really prep related but with regards to sizing I like to collect Eastern bloc Cold War type of stuff , especially East German ( it's probably the pinko in me) but finding larger sizes of clothing is difficult or getting more diffficult although I suppose being at least a quarter of a century old may go some way to explain that. As it is , size wise anything smaller than a g48 is a waste of time to me sg52 would be better ( continental sizes sorry).
Arwen Thebard

Post by Arwen Thebard »

Some good points to have in mind. Im loosing weight now so my clothes already look baggy.
Arwen The Bard

"What did you learn today?"
TLB

Post by TLB »

Wish we had food supplies to hide!

Unfortunately my family don't share my thoughts about being ready. There are slots and places in the house but not enough to fill them.

Think I'm going to have to start buying extra and putting it aside.

Any other tips for dealing with a family that are happy to live on a week to week basis?
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

TLB wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 6:55 pm Wish we had food supplies to hide!

Unfortunately my family don't share my thoughts about being ready. There are slots and places in the house but not enough to fill them.

Any other tips for dealing with a family that are happy to live on a week to week basis?
You've answered your own question TLB, just start buying a bit extra and stash it where you can. Anything is better than nothing, if you've got a week's worth stashed away, you've got a week more than most people. I suppose you could just get another family. ;)
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

TLB wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 6:55 pm Wish we had food supplies to hide!

Tricky.
If you have the 'insurance' of some extra reserves, only an unwanted event would prove you wise.

But ponder this: It doesn't have to cost you much. Pick up bargains in two for one deals or simply buying bigger.
E.g. 12 weetabix costs £1.50 but a box of 72 costs £5. Buy with that approach and you'll soon have a well stocked overflowing larder. My favourite choccy biscuits were on offer at £1 a few weeks back so I cleared the shelf. They're £2.20 now. And they're MINE, not ours :) Do you ever run out of food in the house and end up spending big at the corner shop or takeaway? Mumble about the cost of those events.

Maybe you need for fend for yourself and let your family see your comfort when you ALWAYS seem to magic that tasty snack from who knows where, when they notice only a bare cupboard.

With a bit of luck, we will soon be able to point to some mini crisis from Brexit or flooding as a justification for preparedness. Softly softly.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

Yorkshire Andy wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:55 pm
Few traps give a good indicator of issues
Last weekend my daughter said she swears "something black" ran across the garage floor , so i put a spring trap alongside with the trapdoor humane type already in there. Baited with chocolate spread the spring trap has caught four so far this week.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

grenfell wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 9:09 pmLast weekend my daughter said she swears "something black" ran across the garage floor , so i put a spring trap alongside with the trapdoor humane type already in there. Baited with chocolate spread the spring trap has caught four so far this week.
Oh my ... has the humane trap caught anything so far, grenfell? Good that your daughter's got sharp eyes!
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

Strange thing is the humane trap hasn't caught anything this time. I say strange because in the past it has done really well. I leant it to a customer last year and she caught one a day for almost a fortnight , 13 in total . I have a sneaking suspicion that some of that was the same mouse caught more than once but either way it has proved itself in the past. In some respects the spring trap is probably more humane in that the mouse dies instantly. If a humane trap is not checked at least daily the mouse will very oftenbe found dead , presumbably dehydration or starvation.