Hospital Bag

How are you preparing
Zunzuncito

Re: Hospital Bag

Post by Zunzuncito »

Having been in hospital for 5 days recently when I gave birth (drove me nuts being cooped up). I'd certainly pack some PJ's and some slippers that you don't mind getting ruined/chucking away as not all hospitals will provide and you don't want to be walking barefoot on hospital floors. Some snacks and those small juice boxes were really great for me too. I'd also add a cheap bare of/or disposable underwear - that way you know its always packed and you can chuck away instead of washing if you wish
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Congratulations, Zunzuncito! Hope your sleep deficit isn't too horrendous :)
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

I've just used this list to ram my own bag together.... Tonight..

Wednesday I left work early with a very painful belly ...

Went home by pharmacy got something the pharmacist recommended

Took some paracetamol grumbled guts till bed time and flaked out in bed....

3am woke up in agony went down stairs phoned 111 got the 101 questions go to the local little hospital out of hours gp ...

After been collared by a security guard as I had gone in the wrong door (they've moved out of hours) I got to the gp.....

Prod poke of the belly you need to go to A&E asap......

Drove to my parents and knocked them up and dad run me to a&e hospital in his car......

Fortunately I had my stereotypical prepper camo smock on with a few bits and bobs most of my kit I left in my car wasn't in a fit state to think so had little power bank few quid in change a £10 note along with my EDC pocket of crap..

8 hours later I escaped having been stabbed my chest shaved for a ecg, drained of blood, and a drip of magic potion later I felt better they let me out....

Flared up again this afternoon with the doctor from the hospitals words ringing in my ear I stuffed a bag with kit before heading back to the out of hours gp.. only to get a bloody good one who took the time and sent me home with the perception and change in medication
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

I've been hunting for this thread - my "non prepper" sister suggested we should each make a hospital bag, an elderly friend suggested it to her. Paradoxically, now I feel better, I can cope with doing it. I've got a few things together already, and I'm absolutely persuaded - its taken me ages to get those things in the same place. Doing it while I was ill, or while a close family member was ill, would be a nightmare. And there are loads of things that I just don't know where they are right now :(

I'm wondering about taking little prepper-type things: a little torch, a radio, that sort of thing. And with the lack of security thats been mentioned on this thread, I'm wondering about buying a cheapo mobile phone to take in, rather than the new super duper (to me, anyway!) phone I've just bought. There's preparing to be in hospital, and there's being a prepper of a sort whilst in hospital.

ETA - Andy, I don't remember the resolution of the emergency you're writing about in your last post? What happened?
jansman

Post by jansman »

When my wife was in hospital recently,I was concerned about security too.In hindsight,my worry was unnecessary.That's not to say security is 100% though.However,she took her iPhone and iPad - and was glad of them. NHS wifi is limited,you can get social media it seems,but not Amazon or eBay for example.Even 4G was rather hit and miss.What she did do though,was to store loads of films and tv programmes on her iPad.The pay to view tv is very expensive,and the tablet was a useful tool in her hospital bag.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Thanks for that, jansman - I like reading, but there are limits. My new kindle is expandable up to 512GB, so that should take a fair amount of tv and films.
Prep007

Post by Prep007 »

With my mum in hospital unexpectedly at moment I'd add:

A pillow from home

Hand wipes and tissues

A spare dressing gown, extra warmth when not in use

Definitely your own water bottle

Disposable towellettes (just bought some of these and they are amazing, individually wrapped and expandable under water, perfect as a flannel)

👍