What Preps are you doing this week? Part 6.

How are you preparing
Yorkshire Andy

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 6.

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Deeps wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 5:00 pm
jansman wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 3:07 pm Just got back from work. What a day! At 6am I was performing CPR on a chap who had collapsed and stopped breathing in the restaurant. It was surreal! Thank heavens he started breathing on his own just as the medics arrived. The odds of these events happening are high though, as we have a thousand + customers through each day. Then this afternoon there were two burn incidents in the bakery. All in a day’s work.

Moral of the tale...get first aid trained, and don’t be the bystander who doesn’t know what to do.
It would be great if it was free or a nominal amount. I'm out of date but would happily get requalled but not at the prices in the other thread.

Sounds like a hard day at the office mate, hope you're getting your laughing tackle round something refreshing to relax.

Speak to a training firm tell them you want training but without the certification (that's what usually costs the money (exam / certificate costs) they will most likely knock it off and have you sit in a normal course
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Don't get me wrong, I've been in and out of date for years at level 2 and feel fairly competent, pressure on wounds, lots off. I'd probably break a few ribs keeping the juices flowing too, I'm just not insured. Also the medical types keep changing their mind on CPR/compressions etc...

I just feel its something that should be available to everybody. Might even help the NHS out.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Deeps wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 8:17 pm Don't get me wrong, I've been in and out of date for years at level 2 and feel fairly competent, pressure on wounds, lots off. I'd probably break a few ribs keeping the juices flowing too, I'm just not insured. Also the medical types keep changing their mind on CPR/compressions etc...

I just feel its something that should be available to everybody. Might even help the NHS out.
30:2

From what I remember the national curriculum is going to add it soon for all school kids

Torniquets are now in if you can't control bleeding by pressure
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
jansman

Post by jansman »

Deeps wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 8:17 pm Don't get me wrong, I've been in and out of date for years at level 2 and feel fairly competent, pressure on wounds, lots off. I'd probably break a few ribs keeping the juices flowing too, I'm just not insured. Also the medical types keep changing their mind on CPR/compressions etc...

If you have trained, and even if it’s out of date, you still have the knowledge... you can do something. Retraining just refreshes that knowledge and makes it more instinctive.As you say, the medics change things too. If anything, they make it simpler. For example, you don’t prat about finding a pulse now : if their lips are blue, or the chest ain’t going up and down with normal breaths, it’s straight in with CPR, ‘cos that guy or gal has about three minutes before they take up residence on a cloud and are getting lessons on playing the harp! :lol:

Regarding insurance, that is something of an Urban Myth. If a person is conscious you ask if they need help. If they are not, you cannot ask, so just do it! If someone is choking, they are unlikely to say, “don’t touch me , or I will sue” :lol: The fear on their face is permission enough! Of course to help you need SOME first aid knowledge, but, as we were taught, doing something is better than doing nothing. This situation is all covered by what is known in legal terms as The Good Samaritan Rule.If you break ribs when doing chest compressions ( I suspect I did yesterday), then so be it. The alternative is death!

It’s simply having some basic( and it is basic) skills to aid in those first moments until he professionals get there - and boy, was I glad to see blue lights yesterday!

I agree that schools should teach such skills, along with cooking, woodworking, gardening and finance. We might develop that other skill again...common sense.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

Bet my dad wished he'd known what to do. My mum choked and died in front of him and he could do nothing to help her.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

diamond lil wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 6:54 pm Bet my dad wished he'd known what to do. My mum choked and died in front of him and he could do nothing to help her.
Oh my god, Lil, what a complete nightmare :( I'm very sorry to hear that.
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

Was a long time ago pet x
jansman

Post by jansman »

diamond lil wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 6:54 pm Bet my dad wished he'd known what to do. My mum choked and died in front of him and he could do nothing to help her.
That is a sad thing Lil. Very sad.

The reason I got training was because son in law’s dad watched his dad die on the bathroom floor, not knowing what to do.

All very sad.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

I've been restocking my kitchen after the works - I have a *lot* more storage space, it feels weird. Tiling isn't done, plus one little bit of snagging - the fitter put the shelf under the sink too high, thinking he was helping me out, but its created a lot of useless space, on two levels, so it needs changing. I can't pull out the little stoppers that hold the shelf up myself :cry: so I've got to wait for the guys to do it. I can't quite call it completely finished, but its *so* close. And there's so much more storage, I'm rejigging the understairs cupboard, and even some preps I've had to store upstairs (not all). Happy days.
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

I got a new kitchen a few months back, HA put it in - but am finding it has a lot less storage space. Things seem to be overflowing into the spare room so I'm now looking at some kind of storage for in there that will hide stuff. Currently got bags of cat kibble tea bags and coffee pods kicking around the floor and I hate that.
Going to eat down the stash this summer then fill up again before 31st Oct and the BBBBB word that I won't type cos am sick of it :mrgreen: