What Preps are you doing this week? Part 6.

How are you preparing
Deeps

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 6.

Post by Deeps »

Well done, you've got the bug anyway. :lol: I've found with things that don't dry as quick as you'd like, just dry them some more. Aye. lemon juice is good with fruit and I'll be trying the oranges, they sound right up my boulevard. Have you tried dehydrating meals yet ???
jansman

Post by jansman »

Mrs. J and me are now positioning ourselves for a happy event.Youngest daughter will finally be leaving home! Woo Hoo! Don't know exactly when ,but it will be within three months. This will have a huge impact on what we store.It will make a difference to food,fuel and any other consumables.

We will hopefully get down to one freezer,and just the walk- in pantry,rather than three freezers and another storage room.Anyone with teenagers/ twenty- somethings will know how much they consume!

I have made up a ' powercut bucket' for them,and I shall give them a load of storage grub to fill the shelves,as without them devouring everything in sight,it will go off date.

Got tomato plants to pot on,about 2 dozen for the polytunnel.Must start my outdoor Marmande tomatoes.Still too early for anything else,( frost forecast tonight).Usual Sunday firewood splitting workout,20 minutes splitting = 1 week's fuel.

That's about it.Prepping here at Chez Jansman is pretty much a lifestyle thing,we don't call it prepping,its normal.Life ticks along.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Jansman, thats good to hear :) about your youngest.

I'm battling through a viral/ fatigue thing, but at least I'm home now, and I'm slowly starting to sweep the floors, plus emptying the kitchen for the renovation is accelerating.

I wish I was doing more dehydrating, like Jenny, but what I might do is experiment with using things I've already dried, see if I give myself food poisoning. I do tend to overthink :oops:
jansman

Post by jansman »

Arzosah wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:50 pm Jansman, thats good to hear :) about your youngest.

I'm battling through a viral/ fatigue thing, but at least I'm home now, and I'm slowly starting to sweep the floors, plus emptying the kitchen for the renovation is accelerating.

I wish I was doing more dehydrating, like Jenny, but what I might do is experiment with using things I've already dried, see if I give myself food poisoning. I do tend to overthink :oops:
Arzosah,I am sorry that you are unwell.I understand.Mrs J is now being treated for osteoporosis,and the medication is knocking her about a bit.Fatigue is a big part of it, so I get it.

Regarding the dehydrating,it is extremely unlikely that you will get food poisoning.My drier is on right now,but drying bread for fishing bait!
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Speaking of dehydrating, I bought a fair whack of onions to get done, seeing as how its a day of rest (and watching football and drinking beer :D ) I'll get on it tomorrow...

Apart from that, Her Maj has been doing her seeds and stuff and we've bought a cold frame for the garden, hopefully it will give us at least some of our window sills back.

Hardly a prep but I've been getting away to either hill walk or wild camp a fair bit lately, taken different kit so I can keep my hand in (and justify loads of boys toys :lol: ). Oh and got a few more boys toys to play with....
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

That's a good prep Deeps, you're keeping yourself fit and well, getting out there. I feel very fedup that I've been stuck on a recliner for most of the past 4 weeks. I get out and about 1 day then am comatose for 3.
But still prepping, getting stuff online and filling up space on shelves :mrgreen:
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

diamond lil wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:06 pm That's a good prep Deeps, you're keeping yourself fit and well, getting out there. I feel very fedup that I've been stuck on a recliner for most of the past 4 weeks. I get out and about 1 day then am comatose for 3.
But still prepping, getting stuff online and filling up space on shelves :mrgreen:
You do what you can Lil, it all counts.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Thanks jansman, sorry to hear about MrsJ's osteoporosis diagnosis.

Lil, sorry to hear you're comatose too - and yes, illness makes prepping all the more important, doesn't it. I think you're probably still coping with winter weather, as far north as you are?

Deeps :mrgreen: your day of rest sounds perfick :mrgreen:

A little neighbourly prep came to fruition while I was away - Storm Gareth upended my recycling bin, and all the glass jars went tumbling down the slope of my street :shock: but the neighbour looking after my house chased after them. Imagine the punctures otherwise!

My wild garlic has naturalised, I'm very happy about that :D but the sage I planted last year may have been too pot-bound to ever take off and do its thing. I'll keep encouraging it just in case.
hobo

Post by hobo »

Just back from a fab seed swap meeting. Went for lots and lots of different bean varieties as I was really successful with them last year. Also got some ‘walking onions’ whatever they are and calendula 🙂
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Ooh, aren't the walking onions the ones that bend over from the weight of the seed heads, and "plant" their seeds at a distance from the original plant? Nice one :)