What Preps are you doing this week? Part 6.

How are you preparing
diamond lil

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 6.

Post by diamond lil »

We've just had 3" of snow here Arzosah, fell all day Sat and melted in the sun today. I'm sure I've heard that walking onions are great to grow. Deeps - tell the wife she doesn't have to take the horrible NHS AdCal stuff, I couldn't stomach it, got better stuff on amazon.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

diamond lil wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:16 pm We've just had 3" of snow here Arzosah, fell all day Sat and melted in the sun today.
Oh bleep :shock: nothing you can do with that :( Now it's gone, I hope it stays away.

It's the wind, down here, though of course its kind of normal for you. It hasn't been blowing me about in the street, but the leaves on my summer snowdrops (the size of daffodils) are all broken-spined, and even the wild garlic has been sort of pushed over by the wind.
pitchshifter

Post by pitchshifter »

Just in Costco for a little stock up shop, the only other time I've seen it this busy was the weekend before Christmas :roll: Brexit related maybe?
hobo

Post by hobo »

Same in Aldi and Iceland too!
jansman

Post by jansman »

Sunday IS the busiest shopping day of the week though...
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
pitchshifter

Post by pitchshifter »

jansman wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 3:48 pm Sunday IS the busiest shopping day of the week though...
Agreed, could just be a coincidence of course, though we do usually come on Sundays and I've only ever seen it like this in December. The ice cream at the end made it totally worth it though :D
jansman

Post by jansman »

pitchshifter wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 5:50 pm
jansman wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 3:48 pm Sunday IS the busiest shopping day of the week though...
Agreed, could just be a coincidence of course, though we do usually come on Sundays and I've only ever seen it like this in December. The ice cream at the end made it totally worth it though :D
:D :D :D
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Medusa

Post by Medusa »

Today we have mostly been planting vegetables and doing a better job of securing the plastic greenhouse which has been flapping around a lot in the recent winds. I didn't actually realise that growing things could be so much fun and we have laughed loads at some of the You Tube videos we have looked at on container growing. Realised that the raised bed we treated ourselves to for our anniversary isn't going to hold as much as we thought it would and will possible build a couple similar ourselves. Caught hubby upstairs yesterday having a poke around the food stores and was really pleased when he said he was impressed. Not bad for someone who I only got onside with my prepping a few months ago. He was also impressed with the 120ish toilet rolls stored under the stairs until I told him that there was also another store of almost twice that in my wardrobe. My storage racking is now completely full, as is under the bed and I am tempted to start using behind the kick boards in the kitchen so need to find some storage boxes to fit. Hubby has also been putting a lot of thought into what he wants when we move ie not being reliant on one kind of power, having a generator, having a source of water close by etc. He did set me a challenge not to do my normal monthly shop next month, apart from fresh food due to shortage of space, however I declined his challenge and told him it would just make me uncomfortable when I really don't need to be (fingers crossed), I did agree that I wouldn't buy toilet roll next month though!
Growing old disgracefully!
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Got my spuds in , allong with about 100 onions

Greenhouse slowly filling with seedlings. .

Finally after 3 years fitted the automatic fire extinguisher to the cars engine bay.
IMG_20190317_131314938_HDR.jpg
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
izzy_mack

Post by izzy_mack »

I'm back after a few months break when I could only occasionally dip in to the forum, oh how I missed it. After spending 9months in a caravan with no water or electric we've moved to a cottage a few months ago. Water comes out of taps :o hot as well as cold! bliss :) Lights come on at the flick of a switch - it's like magic. We've finally got ourselves a phoneline and broadband, it's been very peaceful the last few months as there is NO mobile reception, I rather liked it but the family were not happy at me being here with no way to get help if I needed it, I was fine about it but had to give in.

The thing I missed the most was the freezer, which I've restocked and have a wider range of food for meals as well as being able to buy several loaves at a time, so need to shop less often. I also used stores before we moved - to save flitting them really, so I've been replacing and even adding as I have more storage now. Laundry is also quicker and easier, it did take a lot of time and effort to carry in water, heat it, wash and rinse clothes by hand and wring them out as best I could, but the real boon is the spinning of them, I had to hang out dripping wet stuff before and if it was raining it made life difficult as I couldn't hang them on a clothes horse inside or the caravan would have been a bit wet! I have a log burner in the cottage which keeps us nice and cosy and dries washing well. I have about 5tons of wood so far, half of it cut and split and the other half still tree lengths, hope to add more as the year goes on. I had enough dried and seasoned wood to last us a few months when we moved getting low now but should see us till the warm weather.
there was a problem with the septic tank but the landlord fixed that quickly, was impressed with their attitude to complaints, bodes well for the future. It's the first time I've had a private water supply, and there are 2 rivers below us, not too far if we needed an emergency supply in shtf. So between private water, private sewage and a log stove it's great. Also got a decent sized garden, greenhouse and a few good sheds and garage.
Have already planted some fruit trees, there is 1 apple, 1 pear, 1plum already here. Also planted some strawberries and rasps also seeds in greenhouse. Need to dig up a rough bit of ground to plant vegs, did a test bit and it should be ok.
I enjoyed living the VERY simple life in the caravan but admit I love my cottage. learned lots of things though, like however much water you think you'll need to live a normal life, you're wrong you need much much more than you think, and its amazing the number of things you think you need but actually can manage perfectly well without.