What Preps are you doing this week? Part 6.

How are you preparing
preppergb

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 6.

Post by preppergb »

I'll take a llook at the ADAC site, I also want heavier springs or spring assisters because when its fully laden with all our kit it sits a tad low on the back.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

If it's on coils Grayson's assisters are good

http://www.springassisters.co.uk/
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Winterised my GHB although as its an 'extended duration' GHB it was more a case of ensuring things like hat and gloves were in there. Rejigged the scran a bit and made sure the batteries were good. It now has its own designated 'water purification' pouch instead of borrowing it when getting a short notice heads up that I was going wild camping.

Other than that, some dehydrating, a bit of allotting and I've started a bit of a guerrilla gardening project up one of the quiet fields where I walk the dugs, if it comes to nothing then nothing ventured, nothing gained, its left over stuff anyway.
preppergb

Post by preppergb »

Deeps wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:13 pm Winterised my GHB although as its an 'extended duration' GHB it was more a case of ensuring things like hat and gloves were in there. Rejigged the scran a bit and made sure the batteries were good. It now has its own designated 'water purification' pouch instead of borrowing it when getting a short notice heads up that I was going wild camping.

Other than that, some dehydrating, a bit of allotting and I've started a bit of a guerrilla gardening project up one of the quiet fields where I walk the dugs, if it comes to nothing then nothing ventured, nothing gained, its left over stuff anyway.
Dammit thanks for reminding me, I need to change the AA and CR123 batteries in my GHB
jansman

Post by jansman »

Deeps wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:13 pm Winterised my GHB although as its an 'extended duration' GHB it was more a case of ensuring things like hat and gloves were in there. Rejigged the scran a bit and made sure the batteries were good. It now has its own designated 'water purification' pouch instead of borrowing it when getting a short notice heads up that I was going wild camping.

Ha ha! I sorted my car kit out on Tuesday. I thought about you Deeps as I made it even lighter! Can't be doing with clutter in the boot.So the only thing in the boot is my trusty waxed Barbour and fleece,with hat,gloves and overtrousers in the pockets and my collapsible hiking pole.The rest is in the glove compartment along with a small nylon rucksack in case I need to yomp home,and that's only 14 miles.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

jansman wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 7:11 am
Ha ha! I sorted my car kit out on Tuesday. I thought about you Deeps as I made it even lighter! Can't be doing with clutter in the boot.So the only thing in the boot is my trusty waxed Barbour and fleece,with hat,gloves and overtrousers in the pockets and my collapsible hiking pole.The rest is in the glove compartment along with a small nylon rucksack in case I need to yomp home,and that's only 14 miles.
While mine is still for a potential 2+ days, I'm very close to being able to cut it down as I shouldn't be doing my weekly trip up to see my mum. I think I'll tailor it to a dedicated 'hotel bag' and make a smally GHB out of another rucksack. Fun and games sorting out the stuff to put in. :D
preppergb

Post by preppergb »

Intend to refill four 20 litre jerry cans with treated winter diesel as soon as the garage gets its winter stocks in.
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

This week I've taken a leap towards rotating my food stash.

With the help of my trusty spreadsheet, I've re-boxed and rearranged my higgledy piggledy stock into categories and sorted by BBE date
Thus stuff that has the farthest out expiry date, or stuff that doesn't expire at all is buried the deepest in the pile of boxes.
Light stuff like cereals and Tea bags have been allowed on top of those few boxes that need frequent access. Stuff that's already past BBE is at the top and most accessible.

Also took the trouble to check for damage/critters etc and touch wood, none found.
It's currently in the loft, but super organised so it can stay there over winter or until my shelves are built.... or until needed.
It took a LOT of time to sort out.

Apologies to OCD sufferers but my sticky labels had gone past BBE and brown tape was expedient.
Just over half a tonne distributed over load bearing beams.
stash.jpg
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

Erm. Is this a bad time to say that we thought last winter that we had the odd fieldmouse in the loft - but it turned out that we were infested by rats :shock: Daft neighbour was feeding the birds far too much and they moved in to the whole terrace - 4 houses. We had to club together and pay a man to get rid of them. Maybe try and get some tins for your stuff?
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

diamond lil wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 9:36 am Erm. Is this a bad time to say that we thought last winter that we had the odd fieldmouse in the loft - but it turned out that we were infested by rats :shock: Daft neighbour was feeding the birds far too much and they moved in to the whole terrace - 4 houses. We had to club together and pay a man to get rid of them. Maybe try and get some tins for your stuff?
Thanks.
Observation noted. Thanks.
I had considered that, hence checking for damage/critters. Rice pasta and even dried fruit has been up in the loft before for many months.
Fortunately house is detached, which helps, I think. No obvious way in for them.
I'm hopeful that we would soon detect and eradicate a rat or mouse up there. Probably should lay a few traps as a precaution.
Did get mice in the shed when dehydrating food there.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong