What Preps are you doing this week? Part 6.

How are you preparing
Arzosah

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 6.

Post by Arzosah »

I've started detouring to my local Sainsbo to buy small amounts of food cupboard stuff at a time, as well as upping my normal once-a-month online order. It lets me use up my Nectar points, which is also good in case the firm behind them (don't know who they are, just general retail iffiness) has problems.
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

That's a good point Arzosah, depending on vouchers and gift tokens etc has become a wee bit iffy these days :shock:
I'm working on tea coffee milk and sweetener this week. Last week was bacon and bread flour. Just adding an extra tenner to the weekly Sainsbugs order.
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

Five Finger toe socks as liners. :mrgreen:
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
Slazanger

Post by Slazanger »

Me and the other half have started the process of getting rid of some of the junk we’ve accumulated.. we looked at a bigger place but the reality’s we need to just sort out what we have.. all part of the down sizing for the longer term travel plans
Nurseandy

Post by Nurseandy »

Just a wee heads up for anyone that uses bioethanol for cooking or heating - b&q are selling 2 litre bottles (normal £6) 3 for £13.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Nurseandy wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:29 pm Just a wee heads up for anyone that uses bioethanol for cooking or heating - b&q are selling 2 litre bottles (normal £6) 3 for £13.
Nice one Andy I need some more will be close to a big bq over the weekend thanks for posting :)
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Cptsmash

Post by Cptsmash »

Whilst filling up the van, I filled 50ltrs for the store.....
That's 120ltrs of petrol for the genny, and 50ltrs of diesel.. Wouldn't mind another 25ltrs of diesel, it's £127.9 at the moment so it makes no difference.
Dried goods next week for me..
Oh, whilst I was out and about, I picked up some nice 10mm rope in B&M 30mtrs for £4.99 utter bargain. Good quality as well for general purpose.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Cptsmash wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:48 pm Whilst filling up the van, I filled 50ltrs for the store.....
That's 120ltrs of petrol for the genny, and 50ltrs of diesel.. Wouldn't mind another 25ltrs of diesel, it's £127.9 at the moment so it makes no difference.
Oh, whilst I was out and about, I picked up some nice 10mm rope in B&M 30mtrs for £4.99 utter bargain. Good quality as well for general purpose.
Just so your aware of your storing more than 30l of petroleum you should have a petroleum storage licence and notify your home insurer as if your unlucky enough to have a fire your in the poo...

If it's not a business it's a "none workplace licence you should hold"

http://www.hse.gov.uk/fireandexplosion/ ... iation.htm

Also are you using a stabilizing solution in the fuel as modern petrol station goes stale rather quickly
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
gadgetguy

Post by gadgetguy »

Yorkshire Andy wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:14 am
Cptsmash wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:48 pm Whilst filling up the van, I filled 50ltrs for the store.....
Just so your aware of your storing more than 30l of petroleum you should have a petroleum storage licence and notify your home insurer as if your unlucky enough to have a fire your in the poo...

If it's not a business it's a "none workplace licence you should hold"

http://www.hse.gov.uk/fireandexplosion/ ... iation.htm

Also are you using a stabilizing solution in the fuel as modern petrol station goes stale rather quickly
:tinfoil
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

Yorkshire Andy wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:14 am

I have had untreated petrol stored for 6-8 months without any problem in metal cans with minimal air gap. As I understand it the ethanol in the petrol is hygroscopic which is what causes the fuel to go off hence the smaller air exposure as possible. I tend to use most of my petrol in the summer , mowers etc so will purchase a stock autumnish to use the following year on the presumption prices will rise. Looking at the link you posted in the jerry can thread I may be exceeding the limit myself with the cans in the workshop and the two smaller cans kept in the van.
Quantities and storage aside I have a question. Now we've all seen post apocalyptic films where someone drains the tank of an abandoned car , sometimes years after the event , puts it in his own and continues on happily. Iff someone were to try that with say petrol that had been sat for a year or more ( assuming it hasn't evaporated) just how would an engine take to it. Would it just run quite badly , like a tuned car being fed 2star ( shows my age) , would perhaps the water in the fuel stop it running at all. In a proper full on apocalypse type of thing I wouldn't think damage to the engine would be a consideration , there'd be plenty more lying around and anyway any ICE vehicle is looking at a short life before all fuel is gone. Could the gone off petrol still be used for example in something as simple as a Benghazi cooker?