What Preps are you doing this week? Part 6.

How are you preparing
jansman

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 6.

Post by jansman »

Yes , you were right about a sleeping bag! :lol:

Mrs J just showed me a Facebook post by our local flood warden. Those two routes to work won’t be passable for at least two weeks. Another downside is that the areas shown are where some of my best pike fishing is. That won’t happen this year. I have fished the River Soar for close on 45 years, and never seen it this bad.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
berbie

Post by berbie »

The beauty of my location is that its managed flood plain so unless it's dire the drainage board have it covered. That said having 3 tonne of sand on the drive was a comfort this last week. Plenty of rubble sacks in stock should it have become necessary to act. I am considering buying hessian sack to fill as it seems the best for sandbags though. Also having a way of blocking the air bricks fast should be considered. This is the worst I've seen.
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

Some things you can't really solve by prepping.. like lifting a heavy ashcan with a really awkward handle, or getting a bucket of coal up 4 steps with a dodgy hip. Having to fill the stove little and often instead of 2 big fills. Then things were not helped by a power cut early on this morning in the dark and -4c. Then the propane regulator froze on me. LEARNING CURVE :lol: :lol: But things are all good now!
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

jansman wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 7:07 pm Well,this week has been a total struggle getting to and from work as we are surrounded by floodwaters.Every turn,every lane,every road has been covered with water.Thursday was the day.We closed early as we all had to get home safely.My 13 mile commute became 28 as I had to use every bit of local knowledge to dodge the floods - and I still drove through water much of the time( albeit very shallow).On Friday I went to work 2 hours early to get on the M1 and avoid the jam.I got to work with an hour to spare,so I finished my Christmas shopping online,and had half an hour shuteye in the car ( its a Navy habit,and you get it Deeps).

So what did I learn? Definitely need a blanket in the car.My fleece lined Barbour was ok,but if it was wet already,it wouldn't be nice.Ok,I have my emergency bag with ' proper' space blanket,but that's for absolute- got -to-yomp-it-home-emergency.A proper blanket will be more comfortable.Some proper grub.Energy bars will work on a yomp,but being stranded will mean a bit of tinned grub or such.I have a hexi stove and mess tin in the kit,and the means to make a brew.Being in Derbyshire,we also had a flurry of snow,so the folding shovel will go in.A challenging week.
All you can do is evolve mate and that's what you're doing, a situation presents itself and you figure out how to deal with it. Good luck with the damp stuff.

And aye, I can pretty much kip anywhere, through any noise if I'm tired enough, you learn to get it when you can. :D
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

diamond lil wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:59 am Some things you can't really solve by prepping.. like lifting a heavy ashcan with a really awkward handle, or getting a bucket of coal up 4 steps with a dodgy hip. Having to fill the stove little and often instead of 2 big fills. Then things were not helped by a power cut early on this morning in the dark and -4c. Then the propane regulator froze on me. LEARNING CURVE :lol: :lol: But things are all good now!
Get those kids sorted Lil, its time they were running round after you. x
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

Two out three are helping us. Giving me lifts to the hospital and filling up the fire at night.. just first thing in the morning it's only me. Husband not going to be fit for months to do the fire so we will have to keep things going for a while yet.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

diamond lil wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:47 pm Two out three are helping us. Giving me lifts to the hospital and filling up the fire at night.. just first thing in the morning it's only me. Husband not going to be fit for months to do the fire so we will have to keep things going for a while yet.
What about getting an alternative for early in the morning, at least until you're up, had a cuppa and warmed yourself up. An oil filled radiator or one of the wee hot air blowing ones, they're a bit thirsty on the lecky but if you're just using it first thing to take the edge off it might make those morning chores a bit more tolerable.
jansman

Post by jansman »

I agree with Deeps there. We are all electric (and coal.) We have panel radiators/ infra red, BUT at stupid o’clock I have a little fan heater ( 10 quid anywhere) and it works FAST. Set on a thermostat it kicks in and out quite economically. Mrs J hates it, as it’s not ‘tidy’ but it takes the edge off quicker than the panels, and I am only about for 20 minutes before work.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

Not cold in here in the mornings though, fire on all the time so the house stays warm. If I let the fire go out then it's ten times the work getting it going again. Main prob is the 4 steps at back door but I've started filling carrier bags with coal and just lifting them into the house instead of shovelling coal from the coalhouse.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

diamond lil wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:47 pm Not cold in here in the mornings though, fire on all the time so the house stays warm. If I let the fire go out then it's ten times the work getting it going again. Main prob is the 4 steps at back door but I've started filling carrier bags with coal and just lifting them into the house instead of shovelling coal from the coalhouse.

Would it be worth getting some paper bags eg

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kraft-Craft- ... Re7nL776sQ

Pack them with enough for a refill Cary into the house then just launch this bag in the stove ?
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine