What Preps are you doing this week? Part 6.

How are you preparing
hedgerowpete

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 6.

Post by hedgerowpete »

[/quote]
OMG. I tip my hat to you. You are a hardcore prepper. I'm going to have to go off and read your posts.
Quick general question? How do you select safe places for these caches? Presumably buried secretly and without permission in obscure locations? Have you ever got in grief for that?
What I was thinking would be a good container would be a capped length (maybe 2m) of 6 inch diameter ducting. Buried horizontally, in soft soil in parallel with country roads. If detected, it might still be ignored as just another drain. That's still a bit hardcore bug out for me.
[/quote]

if pipe is what you want to use then use it, i prefer to use screw top barrels from the curry house or mayo buckets from the bakery. they are smaller and easier to dig a hole for, short fat holes rather than long ones or deep ones.

i did try pipes and used a post holer to dig the hole and a fence post borer to drill the tubes down, but struggled with the return and collection of them afterwards.

heres some notes on how to remember where you left it!
everyone bangs on about digging holes , especially on you tube videos, but no one ever mentions how to remember where you left it

How to find a Cashe burried two years ago , when your a bloke with the memory of a goldfish?

OKAY so we went out, brought ten thousand pounds worth of guns and ammo, food and water. Dug fourty holes, ten foot deep and burried all your belongings included two of the kids. Being a bloke and the fact I have slept since then. I would have no idea how to remember where it is and what I burried somewhere. Some days I cant even remember where i left my glasses.

You need a way to remember where you dug that hole that is also fool proof and memory proof
You can sat-nav and log coordinates. You can build a temple on top or pay an armed guard to stand over and watch. The classic treasure map is a brilliant idea as well. You just need to bury the treasure map after you have written it out! And remember where you did that.

So I am not going to bother with sat navs and geo-cashes and digital works as there’s loads of ideas on that. I am going to go old skool and show and explain other non battery, phone, sat nav ways. Many people use their phones and digital age stuff.

Where its up to you if you use hedge or woods or street or field is up to you. I just want to explain the how to remember it.

So basics first and after basics we start to add layers of complexity.
1, simple as, paper map and a black pen dot in the corner of the field on it . Saying there is some thing here. A good old fashioned X marks the spot. The downside to that is its not very precise and trying to locate a bucket burried in a field on a 1:25,000 map is impossible.

2, Two maps, big one with a dot saying in this woods, a second larger scale one saying, 10 paces from dead man’s tree and the hanging corpse, step over the dead body and second hanging man and its underneath the headless corpse. Easy enough and you can keep the two apart for better security.

See how from a simple we start to get more in depth? The next for me is a routine. So not so much which woods or where but always a fixed point and a fixed distance and direction.

Try these ideas and see what works for you.

In the woods, I choose a tree. We can always choose a certain tree, but its always the same focal point, mature tree, ancient trees, tall trees fat trees, Oak trees, Ash trees. The idea is, that with no memory of where you dug that hole. You always know that if you start from the same point every time, you all ways find your bucket. So lets say we all ways pick oak tree. After we then need to replicate the exact same hole point.

I am a rugby man so I can say, from the oak tree I all ways take three paces away from the tree towards Wales (west for me) after three paces west I take four paces north, 3+4 is a try and conversion. Say your into puffball you can try 4;4;3 I think its called that?? any way 4 paces or four feet north say, four paces east and three paces north again. The direction and steps are up to you.

If like me you are religious. You can walk your birth year towards Jerusalem, 2013, so 13 paces east. 1980, nineteen steps towards god or east. One could be direction, nine could be steps, eight could be steps again or turn and steps. Zero is the spot to dig.
It makes no odds what you choose, but choose some thing that's brutally simple and therefore memorable.

Say you live or was brought up in Bradford but live else where now. The number of the first bus home or you old house telephone number or even you mobile number.

You can say we will walk towards Bradford from our starting tree point. Be that north or west of where you are home is always home, because its fixed in place as well as memory its a great starter point. The first girl you kissed was on the number 30 bus. Or the bus route home was the number 40 or what ever sticks in your mind. So that's 30 paces north or the big oak tree or 40 paces west of the oak tree. You lived at number 17, seventeen steps.

A phone number is sightly long winded but most people remember there phone number. So Bobs mobile number is 07854 345678.
We can either work this forwards or backwards the choice is yours. Its the idea I am selling here.

Zero- is the start point
Seven - is the direction, 1 north, 2 east, 3 south, 4 west, 5 north, 6 east, 7 south. So south it is.
Eight, eight paces south to start with.
Five- five is direction again or it can be the spot to dig
four – the next number of steps

Working backwards and its
eight- 1 north, 2 east,3 south, 4 west, 5 north, 6 east, 7 south and 8 west, so west we walk
seven- seven paces west
six- direction again, 1 north, 2 east, 3 south, 4 west, 5north, six is east, eastwards we walk
five, so five steps eastwards and
start to dig the hole.

So all it is is to find a base note that has burried its self into your brain and re-use that to best suit you.

For me and my method I do this,
I record the cords for the focal point. As well as on the phone I also do so on a map.
I also use tourism note books and review guides too. Say you are working or living in Snowdon. Buy a Snowdon tourist guide and on page 45 where it has a picture of the great Bob circle walk, circle the tree as your starter point you used, or drop in a picture or a photograph of you stood next to that tree. Everyone has a photo memory in a guide book. But that picture is of your secret starting point. You can add to the back of that picture a date 20th sept 2018. with the idea from that tree you walk 20 paces in one direction and 9 paces in another!! in fact you can choose the date to do the walk to suit your location steps and directions

I do a lot of city cashes. So I prefer the AtoZ book. In that its full of scribbles and notes, as new road works happen I change the notes to update the old book. But an old book with a pen mark on it or a road with a felt tip pen route marked on it and on the pen mark a slight blob. My version of X marks the spot. Everyone used to have an AtoZ at home so its a common book to have around.

Sticking with the photograph album idea for a moment. You could have a thousand pictures of you and the family out on a summers walk. Even winter ones. You don’t have to picture the tree or marker the day you dig the hole. Take the picture before hand and write the date and time in it. And use that date to work out your steps from it. You can have a hundred printed out and it would look like a holiday photo album to anyone else. Where as its your cashe album.

So we always have a fixed starting point, be it tree, wall, lamp post, wishing well or a dead pirates body hanging from a tree.

We have our first direction and a reason for it.
“I am a Christian and always walk towards god” ( East)
“I love America” (walk west) and so on.
“I cant understand Scottish”, ( south)
“ I hate London” ( North)

What you need now is a number for that step pattern.
“I love CB radio 10-4”.
“Favourite film, the 39 steps”.
“I was born 18 of September” 18 steps then turn and then nine more.
“Bo Derick” 36-24-34, - walk 36 feet, turn and go 24 feet, turn again and walk 34 feet.

But know this what ever reason you choose , don’t ever change it, EVER!!

For me I favour certain options. I have a paper map with spots on it. I like certain trees so always focus on finding one as my marker. I always start in the same direction for the exact same reason and walk the fixed amount of steps one way, turn the exact same way and walk the second distance in the exact same way. If the route I want to walk, I cant take or the ground does not suit my numbers then I don’t use it. I have a fixed set in stone pace and route from my marker. All I have to do is find a marker that suits me and stick to it. I never changes as I would forget it.

When I am in the city how ever I favour to go above ground and not below ground. But more on that later.

The idea is to sow the steps and the directions as a fixed point in your brain and only ever change the starting point. All I have to do is record the starting point. I remember routines all the time, but really struggle with changes all the time.

Hope that helps, Pete
hedgerowpete

Post by hedgerowpete »

Deeps wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:14 am
drprepper wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:46 pm
jennyjj01 wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 10:52 pm serious side question: Does dehydrating celery work? My spag bol is nothing without celery, but that's like 99% water?
Celery works. It does indeed take longer but I did long strips as I was feeling lazy and didn't want it falling through the gaps in my dehydration trays. If you like celery, the tiny sticks actually make a plausible bar snack that I reckon you could even season and sell! In its concentrated form, it is also a good demonstration of why celery does add something to dishes even though it's apparently watery.
Cut baking parchment to size to line your tray, even if I'm doing bigger stuff I'll usually do 2 trays with it so any smaller bits don't drop all the way through and you can swap over the bottom tray for a more even dry.
i buy 300mm wide aluminium mesh from Halfords motor parts, its for car body repairs, fold it to form a tray inside your drier
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Cheers guys, I have considered mesh of some sort but as I use the baking parchment for doing chilli/bolog/curry too I'd still need something 'solid'.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Deeps wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:07 pm Cheers guys, I have considered mesh of some sort but as I use the baking parchment for doing chilli/bolog/curry too I'd still need something 'solid'.

You seen the teflon cooking parchment?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Reusable-Teflo ... ref=plSrch

Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Yorkshire Andy wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:41 pm
Deeps wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:07 pm Cheers guys, I have considered mesh of some sort but as I use the baking parchment for doing chilli/bolog/curry too I'd still need something 'solid'.

You seen the teflon cooking parchment?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Reusable-Teflo ... ref=plSrch
That looks interesting.......
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

New credit card is up and running, had to close the previous one because of scammers, but they got no money and I needed no refunds :) Got some more cash out of the bank today, and from now on I'm not going to be using up my change - I'm going to put it by. I've already got some, of course, but I want more :mrgreen:
Medusa

Post by Medusa »

I had a few bits and pieces of sewing items, but as it is something I really hate doing it was just the very basics. Bought myself a more comprehensive sewing kit and stashed it away. Bought some bare root raspberry canes and some carrot and bean seeds and ordered other fruit bushes/plants online to be delivered in a few weeks. Bought growing bags to grow potatoes, onions and carrots in and hubby has gathered a few ptfe tanks due to be skipped from work to grow things in too. Off to a local builder merchant that has a special offer on compost this week and has cheap tubbies to plant all the things in and also a book on growing fruit and veg in containers. We did pretty ok last year for a first try, but want to expand on our growing this year. We rarely keep any cash to hand, but as he had done a job on the side, some was banked and I insisted on keeping a little at home for emergencies only and intend to increase this and get a safe to store it in. Also been looking at increasing security measures within the home as I am seeing the issues which the current benefit system are causing which I have no doubt are going to cause an increase in crime possibly along with Brexit, whatever happens. Spoke to hubby this week due to the inclement weather and asked what he had in his works van in case of getting stranded, mostly he just needs water and food which was pretty reassuring
Growing old disgracefully!

Post by Post »

Been to home bargains and bought tins of peas, carrots, potatoes, smash and sweet corn.

I’ve also had my delivery or heirloom seeds to start soon.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Post wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:03 pm Been to home bargains and bought tins of peas, carrots, potatoes, smash and sweet corn.

I’ve also had my delivery or heirloom seeds to start soon.

Watch the date on home bargains stuff... Also I've not found them that cheap for some stuff