What Preps are you doing this week? Part 6.

How are you preparing
Ara

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 6.

Post by Ara »

ForgeCorvus wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 5:29 pm Glad to see you're still alive Jansman.

Awaiting a couple of Nebo lights and trying to find bobbins to fit my sewing machine.

Still eating our way through the Christmas extras.
BTW For those of us who like Christmas Pudding, I think it might be nearly the perfect Prep-food.
Fat, Carbs, Sugars, Fibre and Protein.
Roughly 300 Kcal per 100 grams.
Fills you up
Shelf stable, stores for years
Can be eaten hot or cold, on its own or as part of a dish.
And (the best part) [u
]Nobody thinks you're a nutter if you have a few in the pantry in June
[/u] :lol:
Some would say anyone who has ANY Christmas puds in the cupboard is a nutter but I disagree. Saw a programme recently where they make them and the manufacturers say they last far longer than the date on the pack.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Nurseandy wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:47 am Just upped the car supplies from 24 hours to 72. Travel all over the Scottish highlands for work and its that time of year!
Never been too badly stuck (yet) but would much rather do it in comfort should it happen!
As an aside, I have glo sticks in the car but has anyone any experience of using a uco candle lantern in a car? I use them a lot camping and wondered how they'd be in a car.
Haven't tried them myself so not much help there. Sorry.
Where I can make a few suggestions is that 72 hrs for the car is pretty easy, I don't know what you eat but even tins would be handy if you don't have anything else, the advantage of tins being they're precooked so if necessary you can eat them cold. Loads of snacky stuff is good, if you're stuck in the car bored then scran is an easy distraction. Cooking options are available too, simple meths set ups or hexy (for outside the car :lol: ) take up next to no space and a wee windshield will sort you out. Handy for a warm drink even and it also gives you a 'task' to do which again, keeps you occupied.

I assume you have a shovel and some other toasty stuff.... apologies if this is all egg sucking stuff.
PrepperMum

Post by PrepperMum »

I posted this in another thread, but I am doing an inventory of everything.

It will help in what I need to get rid of, store or sell. But, also, by way of small example, things that are nearing their expiry date or seeds that need planting.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Nurseandy wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:47 am Just upped the car supplies from 24 hours to 72. Travel all over the Scottish highlands for work and its that time of year!
Never been too badly stuck (yet) but would much rather do it in comfort should it happen!
As an aside, I have glo sticks in the car but has anyone any experience of using a uco candle lantern in a car? I use them a lot camping and wondered how they'd be in a car.

I have one I need to dig it out ... Apparently it raises the temperature in a car by about 2°c (from memory). And if it starts flickering it's time to ventilate the car A layer of newspapers top corners damped and stuck to the glass works as secondary glazing..

Edit
IMG_20190102_214121955.jpg
I've a bigger one which will take 8hr candles somewhere

Another option for cooking is the good old chaffing gel

IMG_20190102_214532294_HDR.jpg

Or the hexi replacement dragon fire alcohol tell stove...
IMG_20190102_214639922_HDR.jpg
It runs happily on gel fuel from bq both are safer than LPG imo and won't freeze as easily as butane gas. Worth carying matches as guess what's in a gas lighter ;)
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Nurseandy

Post by Nurseandy »

Thanks deeps & Yorkshireandy. I've pretty much got what you both recommend, tinned food, gel stove, lighter matches & fire steel, sleeping bag, shovel, foul weather gear, water & coffee.
Good tip about needing ventilation when the candle flickers, its the 9 hour version that I use -brilliant lamps.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Had an unexpected day off.Fishing was off,too cold and I am too old! So I cleaned out the workshop.Its like a survivalist supermarket! Anyhow,my fishing kit is easier to access,and so too ,the extensive resources in there.I have freed up even more storage space,whilst making more space.Win win.

I found buckets of nails and screws I had forgotten about,and several thousand .22 airgun slugs! Also,a sealed bucket of carp pellets I bought a couple of years ago.

I have two x 5 gallon( that were at the back),screw top barrels ,in which I can store both rice and pasta.Once they are full ( halfway now),we are sorted. I now know where everything is.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

Car serviced.
Passport renewal ordered.
Couple of pretty good basic cookbooks bought from the charity shop for 50p each.
Morrisons 'Savers' range Tinned Tomatoes sampled and deemed to be worth stashing.
Started to hint to my better half that it might be an idea to do some selective pre-shopping as Brexit approaches. I might have to out myself soon. Accidentally/subconsciously outed myself a little ( rather a lot :) ) by rotating some of my 'expired' stockpile goods into the kitchen cupboard, having blotted out the BBE dates with a fat marker pen. Expecting interrogation about that.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

jennyjj01 wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:25 pm Car serviced.
Couple of pretty good basic cookbooks bought from the charity shop for 50p each.
Morrisons 'Savers' range Tinned Tomatoes sampled and deemed to be worth stashing.
Started to hint to my better half that it might be an idea to do some selective pre-shopping as Brexit approaches. I might have to out myself soon. Accidentally/subconsciously outed myself a little ( rather a lot :) ) by rotating some of my 'expired' stockpile goods into the kitchen cupboard, having blotted out the BBE dates with a fat marker pen. Expecting interrogation about that.
Just say you've researched it and acoording to [insert favourite newspaper] the tins last a long time past the date and you're doing the planet and the budget a favour. ;)
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

Deeps wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:37 pm
jennyjj01 wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:25 pm Car serviced.
Just say you've researched it and acoording to [insert favourite newspaper] the tins last a long time past the date and you're doing the planet and the budget a favour. ;)
Nooooo. Deep down I want to confess this little secret. I think I can do so to some extent, but progressively. I wish I'd never been secretive about prepping.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

jennyjj01 wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:50 pm Nooooo. Deep down I want to confess this little secret. I think I can do so to some extent, but progressively. I wish I'd never been secretive about prepping.
Before I knew what prepping was I was always stashing stuff and my missus had a good idea I was a bit 'odd' that way. Once I discovered that prepping was a 'thing' I was quite open with her, it wasn't a massive leap although true to form she was scathing about it. :lol: 4 years or so later she gets it, she's not fully onboard but she has pointed out stuff that she knows would be of interest to me. Secretly I think she likes that I'm looking after us and to be fair she is the gardener/knitter/preserver, not that she see's this as prepping.

Good luck with the other half, you'll know how best to bring it up.