What Preps are you doing this week? Part 6.

How are you preparing
ForgeCorvus

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 6.

Post by ForgeCorvus »

jansman wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:19 pm Picked up a windowsill electric propagater ( still in the box), for nothing. Free cycle! And only down the road.
Score!
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Well new extinguisher arrived today ... I scoured the interweb for another 2kg power with discharge hose... Nowhere bar clas ohlson seem to stock them (which is where mine came from )

https://m.clasohlson.com/uk/Housegard-2 ... er/18-2682

The store near us has long gone :( and they dont sell them on line :( to me it's the best size for a larger car and they work ....

So plumped for a ultrafire unit it came and it has a plastic nozzle the same thread as the hose off my empty unit so I've put the hose on it....

I've been at my new to me rotorvator and added crank case oil (which it appeared to be lacking ) drive shafts seem to be oil tight so all good .

Next up is to do the engine oil and have a go when I get a few hours....

Took my old patented by me ;) " bucket o concrete" down the allotment to chain the rotorvator to in the shed. ... Builders bucket filed with concrete with a big hardened chain sunk in it ...... Becomes a big ball and chain style imobiliser for any bigger items eg bikes / garden tools . Me and my dad struggled to lift the rotorvator as it was.. (and we are both manual labourers ) took the transit wheels off too and took them home

Bit like this:
2902664968_5aea70b9ab.jpg
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

Today I finally christened the dehydrater: A 9 tray cube shaped £150 jobby.

As an FYI to anyone contemplating one: about 0.5 kilo of carrots or sliced onions fills one tray loosely. Need some finer grid trays from B&M

It's running in stealth mode in the garden shed: I must remember to turn it off and I hope no spiders invade. (Nom Nom: Free Protein)

With a bit of luck, the warmth from it will help propagate the tomato and pepper seeds I potted yesterday.*

Also this week replenished Cabernet and Merlot stock, by way of stock rotation and bought an embarrassing number of tins of tomatoes. Got some funny/knowing looks, but no comments yet.

*Note to self. get shed fire insurance.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

jennyjj01 wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 1:21 pm Today I finally christened the dehydrater: A 9 tray cube shaped £150 jobby.

As an FYI to anyone contemplating one: about 0.5 kilo of carrots or sliced onions fills one tray loosely. Need some finer grid trays from B&M
Well. that was enormously satisfying.
My 800g of carrots has reduced down to literally a 35g handful of beautiful orangeyness.
My 800g of onions became 73g and takes up the space of a bag of crisps. They're delish.
800gCarrots.jpg
I did consider vacuum wrapping them, but fear they'd end up as powder.

Now... a question...
I did dehydrate a couple of tomatoes.... If I soak them in olive oil will they go like sun-dried tomatoes or will they be far far too dehydrated and should I keep them in a jar or tupperware?

I can see this dehydrating being very addictive.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Welcome to the club Jenny, sorry can't help you on the tomatoes, I'm not a fan of the sun dried variety. The dehydrating is really satisfying though.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

I don't go for sun dried either, I'm afraid - and I haven't tried tomatoes yet at all in my dehydrator.

However ... I have the most almighty Prepping Fail to confess. I'm up here for another week, I have lots of little bits and bobs of preps: seatbelt cutter, compass, two mini-torches, a battery charger, my older windup radio, lots of stuff. Finally needed to wash my hair - no problem. Except it is, because I haven't brought a comb :(

Please don't kick me out of the forum :oops: :shock: :lol:
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

My god - cave woman!! I expect you'll go right out and buy ten combs, five brushes and a bucket of conditioner when you get home :twisted:
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

It's kind of disgusting, isn't it :mrgreen: the thing is, I have about 8 combs at home, and three bottles of conditioner :mrgreen:

More productively, I'm using the time up here to do a few bits of research and organise my bookmarks better, so the research I've done is actually available to me :roll:
jansman

Post by jansman »

jennyjj01 wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:00 pm
jennyjj01 wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 1:21 pm Today I finally christened the dehydrater: A 9 tray cube shaped £150 jobby.

Well. that was enormously satisfying.
My 800g of carrots has reduced down to literally a 35g handful of beautiful orangeyness.
My 800g of onions became 73g and takes up the space of a bag of crisps. They're delish.
800gCarrots.jpg

I did consider vacuum wrapping them, but fear they'd end up as powder.

Now... a question...
I did dehydrate a couple of tomatoes.... If I soak them in olive oil will they go like sun-dried tomatoes or will they be far far too dehydrated and should I keep them in a jar or tupperware?

I can see this dehydrating being very addictive.
You can store dried toms in olive oil ( straight into sterile jars, olive oil, sterile lid, CLEAN hands, and store in cool, dark place. However...unless you tap out all air bubbles, and you are 100% certain that the toms are fully dry, then the botulism risk is high.

The usual way is to do the above, and then bottle , or ‘can’ them ( I hate that Americanism) in a hot water bath. Not something I do, as I haven’t time tbh.

You could do the above, without ‘ bottling and store in the fridge for 6 months, observing good hygiene and dating properly.

My own dried tomatoes, a whole polytunnel full, just get slung into stews, curry and pasta sauces. I like simple.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Over the last few weeks I've massively beefed up my OTC meds, used an online pharmacist to save dicking around, no need to justify codeine either. Other than that, just buying more and more of the food we use. Been a bit lazy on the dehydrator front so need to ramp that up.

Not sure you can call it a 'prep' as I've got plenty already but bought a Czech army mess tin set last night. :oops: Well, you can never have enough can you.... :roll: