What Preps are you doing this week? Part 6.

How are you preparing
diamond lil

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 6.

Post by diamond lil »

Neighbour gave me a slim wall kitchen unit in white and I've put it behind the back door and filled it with carrier bags of coal. All nice and clean and spiderless ( I hope to god!) Because my son had filled a load and left at back door but it got very wet and I thought when the temp drops that lot's going to freeze into a solid heap. So now I begin to understand why all old folk with coal fires seem to keep coal in their kitchens :mrgreen:
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

diamond lil wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 7:16 am... clean and spiderless ( I hope to god!) ...
I feel your pain! A neighbour looked after some cuttings I'd taken when I had to go away unexpectedly, and he put them on the floor in his greenhouse. It worked well, but I had to use quite a few tricks to get all the little spiders out of the pots and the leaves!

More importantly, I'm glad it'll be easier to get your mitts on that coal.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

ForgeCorvus wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:52 pm Been having a clear out of redundant prep-gear.
Got a few paraffin lamps (not compatible with our health problems) and the Norfolk lidded-bucket mountain to rehome.

Also going to flog the pushbike as I haven't ridden it for over a year. I have to wheel it the length of the garden, then carry it through the house to use it. Its easier to walk anywhere less then two miles.

Lil: Regarding your ash problem, would this help?
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Elephant-Small ... 30&sr=8-11

And something like this ?
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Vielle-KAM0063 ... 828&sr=8-5
I've been going through my gear too, I seem to have a LOT of torches. :oops: Amongst other things.....
Its going to be a long process I reckon.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Tuesday is my regular 'weekend',and today was mostly taken up with a hospital visit with Mrs J. When We got home it didn't leave a lot of time to do anything constructive.So...I purged the food storage ( again). Our walk-in pantry is pretty extensive,and spacious.When our daughters were at home they REALLY consumed grub! :lol: It is interesting how tastes change over time too.We have 10 tins of spaghetti hoops for instance,as our youngest burned through them,along with salad cream! Its all in date and sitting on the table for her to collect.

Mrs J isn't a massive fan of rice,so I have bundled a load of that up for the girls too.I have always made sure we have huge stores of everything,but now it is not appropriate,and it is being scaled back.Even with strict rotation,there were items that had exceeded their codes,simply because they were no longer on our regular menus.Gradually,our extensive ,extended pantry outside the house,is being reduced.The freezers are out there,but the cleared shelves will now house equipment ( which takes up valuable workshop space) such as tarpaulins,fixings, rope,emergency lighting etc.etc.

The other thing to do,on the way home,is to get a bag of cement and some sand,as my emergency repair stash is gone.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

Def not a static item, the prep stash. What you can eat and can't eat changes over time with health. What you want to eat and don't want to eat likewise. I got a whole bloody crate of sugar from Costco once and the very next week the husband was diagnosed diabetic. :mrgreen: So that taught me never to assume anything is set in stone.
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

diamond lil wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 7:24 pm Def not a static item, the prep stash. What you can eat and can't eat changes over time with health. What you want to eat and don't want to eat likewise. I got a whole bloody crate of sugar from Costco once and the very next week the husband was diagnosed diabetic. :mrgreen: So that taught me never to assume anything is set in stone.
Same here lil, my whole preps was Carb heavy, and not conducive with my diabetes.

On the plus side I have plenty of barter items. :roll: :mrgreen:
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
Trojanhorse

Post by Trojanhorse »

Split more logs for the fire - mainly Chestnut.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Well,this week has been a total struggle getting to and from work as we are surrounded by floodwaters.Every turn,every lane,every road has been covered with water.Thursday was the day.We closed early as we all had to get home safely.My 13 mile commute became 28 as I had to use every bit of local knowledge to dodge the floods - and I still drove through water much of the time( albeit very shallow).On Friday I went to work 2 hours early to get on the M1 and avoid the jam.I got to work with an hour to spare,so I finished my Christmas shopping online,and had half an hour shuteye in the car ( its a Navy habit,and you get it Deeps).

So what did I learn? Definitely need a blanket in the car.My fleece lined Barbour was ok,but if it was wet already,it wouldn't be nice.Ok,I have my emergency bag with ' proper' space blanket,but that's for absolute- got -to-yomp-it-home-emergency.A proper blanket will be more comfortable.Some proper grub.Energy bars will work on a yomp,but being stranded will mean a bit of tinned grub or such.I have a hexi stove and mess tin in the kit,and the means to make a brew.Being in Derbyshire,we also had a flurry of snow,so the folding shovel will go in.A challenging week.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Blimey, jansman :( that sounds really tough. Update is appreciated - I hope all this dies down soon.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

jansman wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 7:07 pm Well,this week has been a total struggle getting to and from work as we are surrounded by floodwaters.Every turn,every lane,every road has been covered with water.Thursday was the day.We closed early as we all had to get home safely.My 13 mile commute became 28 as I had to use every bit of local knowledge to dodge the floods - and I still drove through water much of the time( albeit very shallow).On Friday I went to work 2 hours early to get on the M1 and avoid the jam.I got to work with an hour to spare,so I finished my Christmas shopping online,and had half an hour shuteye in the car ( its a Navy habit,and you get it Deeps).

So what did I learn? Definitely need a blanket in the car.My fleece lined Barbour was ok,but if it was wet already,it wouldn't be nice.Ok,I have my emergency bag with ' proper' space blanket,but that's for absolute- got -to-yomp-it-home-emergency.A proper blanket will be more comfortable.Some proper grub.Energy bars will work on a yomp,but being stranded will mean a bit of tinned grub or such.I have a hexi stove and mess tin in the kit,and the means to make a brew.Being in Derbyshire,we also had a flurry of snow,so the folding shovel will go in.A challenging week.
What was I saying the other week about a small sleeping bag ;)

We have been VERY lucky so far still on a flood watch over a week now, back road into town has been rather bad and no one has any idea how to ford standing water. ... Fishlakes isn't a million miles away from home ..

There's a hell of a lot to be said about local knowledge in a crisis,

I'm also in 2 minds whether or not to join the local 4x4 responders after all this chaos locally but unsure if I'll have the time
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine