What Preps are you doing this week? Part 6.

How are you preparing
diamond lil

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 6.

Post by diamond lil »

Ah ok. I can do the poultice thing, and yes to knitbone. I thought there was maybe a different way to do it that I didn't know about :mrgreen:
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Got a refill of camping Gaz today blooming heck that's bloody expensive now!

904 at our chandler's £25.some penny's..

£27 at go outdoors...
Screenshot_20190504-213312.png
:shock:

For £8 picked up a 25l food grad Jerry can / barrel

Rinsed with a litre of water and 2 oasis purification tablets splashed it all over the inside tipped it out left it a good half hour and filled with water getting rid of most of the trapped air via the short hose from the kitchen tap to the reel which I left running for 5 mins to flush it first .

Now at the back of the pantry we now have 25l of tap water stashed plus 5x5l bottles from Morrisons and some 2l bottles stashed behind the kickboards in the kitchen and some in the shed totalling about 48l...and a 100l water butt . Plus 2000l of additional grey water on the allotment less than 50m from home
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Arwen Thebard

Post by Arwen Thebard »

Spent a few hours at the practice range yesterday, several hundred shots on target, a good prep and great fun. :D
Arwen The Bard

"What did you learn today?"
jansman

Post by jansman »

I shall make a steady start to my Winter 19/20 wood stash.I have ( literally) tonnes stacked,but it just needs splitting in readiness.I shall also make a start filling my bins with kindling ; That is a pleasant job in the workshop listening to The Archers! :D

We are also in the process of running down Pantry No.2. to a much more manageable level,as youngest daughter has now left.For a 22 year old who weighs about 9 stones wet,she could eat some grub! As we get older,we just don't consume that much.

The garden is blooming,and again,benefiting from being more manageable now.It will pretty much supply us with what we need for at least half the year.

It is quite interesting to experience what I can only describe as a Calmness Of Age.I don't feel that I need to live in a state of Amber Alert anymore.Does that make sense?
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

Worked yesterday for a guy who buys and sells houses , he's just got possession of another so just starting on it. I came away with a van of bits and pieces. Some scrap metal , not exactly preppy but it all gets converted to cash and , a little more prep related two water butts ( not that I'm sure where they are going but...) , more wood for burning and even a small cherry tree. The tree had to come out and I pruned it and dug out as much root as possible. It's currently sat in a dustbin of water while I consider what to do with it , I already have three in the garden. If it takes it takes , if it dies then it's no huge loss.
I also found a hedgehog which rather than leaving it on a building site I brought that home as well. Whether it stays in our garden or wanders off into the bordering fields is it's choice but at least there's less chance of it being squashed by a jcb .
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

jansman wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 7:16 am I shall make a steady start to my Winter 19/20 wood stash.I have ( literally) tonnes stacked,but it just needs splitting in readiness.
That's very impressive!
The garden is blooming,and again,benefiting from being more manageable now.It will pretty much supply us with what we need for at least half the year.
And that's downright enviable :lol: though my recent planting is all going very well: four raspberry cane rootlets have all taken, and the herbs that I've planted recently are trying to take over the world, except the chives.
It is quite interesting to experience what I can only describe as a Calmness Of Age.I don't feel that I need to live in a state of Amber Alert anymore.Does that make sense?
I'd like to say a no-holds-barred yes to that, but its only "sort of". I tend to somatise stress, which is what got me falling prey to chronic fatigue in the first place :( and this week B&Q have been playing silly buggers with a very simple order for a ceiling light. So far I've had 5 phone calls and an email, with at least a letter and printouts to come, and I'm going to be insisting on compensation for their astonishing series of mistakes. It really affected me badly, physically, even though I still felt the Calmness Of Age Weird. I do like the Calmness Of Age thing though :)
jansman

Post by jansman »

Arzosah, stress of any kind is not good. Heaven knows I get my share. It affects the body in so many bad ways.My youngest has just been given a clean bill of health after having a siezure.She had a brain scan to check there was nothing sinister,and thankfully there was not. The doctor examined her lifestyle/ attitude,and has referred her to a stress counsellor.It did not surprise me.Hopefully she will become less negative about everything.

Regarding your garden: Everything you can grow is a step away from food reliance,but one step towards food resilience!
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

So true about the stress - at least mine was just a few days in bed this time, sorry to hear about your daughter's reaction to it. I do wonder about problems further down the line because of it.

You're right about the garden - I can only take small steps, but they really add up over time, to something pretty useful.
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

I don't do stress. Not worth the hassle as everything sorts itself out anyway :mrgreen:
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

diamond lil wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 6:40 pm I don't do stress. Not worth the hassle as everything sorts itself out anyway :mrgreen:
Easier said than done sometimes Lil, I'm generally laid back but still find myself betting 'stressed' mostly over stupid or minor things but its still stress. My missus is a born worrier though, that's just another way of saying she gets stressed.