What Preps are you doing this week? Part 6.

How are you preparing
pseudonym

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 6.

Post by pseudonym »

ForgeCorvus wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 5:23 pm Can you take a scrip and get it filled there?
Apparently not. Very few pharmacies can fill a foreign prescription according to the FDA
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Broke into one of my work preps today...
I got drenched in the rain ... Desk at work has a full change of clothes.... Dry socks and boots are absolute bliss it's the simple things sometimes just to make yourself comfortable....
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
jansman

Post by jansman »

Yorkshire Andy wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 7:54 pm Broke into one of my work preps today...
I got drenched in the rain ... Desk at work has a full change of clothes.... Dry socks and boots are absolute bliss it's the simple things sometimes just to make yourself comfortable....
I always keep spare socks in the car ( fishing thing!) Went to see my wife in hospital this afternoon and had to park ( literally) half a mile away. My ancient Barbour Solway came into play. It was lagging down, and in the bellows pockets are lightweight leggings and a hat. Did the job!
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Got s goretex high vis coat and DPM goretex trousers it was the boots that let me down today... Hate wet feet knew I needed new ones before winter sets in properly
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
jansman

Post by jansman »

I have a lot of Down Time this week,and the weather is crap.So in quiet moments I have been drawing a plan of how my vegetable garden will look.It will be geared up to low maintenance,better water collection, and my bad back. Costing it out,and using a lot of reclaimed materials,I reckon a couple of hundred quid will do it,money- wise. I have already erected the polytunnel frame.I picked it up on Freecycle,and it is a 19 mm steel one.It was originally a 12'x 6' garden tunnel.I have adapted it and it will be 6'x6'.Yes,silly- small,but sufficient for our needs now.Good enough for starting plants,and then growing half a dozen of my Gardeners Delight tomato plants. And a few chillies.

I have picked up a load of weed supressant fabric ( unused fom Freecycle) and my friend,a tree surgeon,will let me have bark chips galore for a Sunday lunchtime drink! That will go down between the beds.I have looked at long lasting materials to make ' formalised' raised beds,and have setlled for trendy looking hexagonal steel ones. They stand high enough for me to kneel comfortably,and will hold a lot of soil,as my garden needs some levelling.Our garden is huge and it needs to be thought about now,before age overtakes us.

A work in progress...

Robert Frost.

Me.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Just called in to my friend’s farm shop to pick up some more coal ( I pick up 40kg each week on the way past), and he asked me if I wanted a deal. He has loads of split bags, that folks won’t touch. Long and short, I got 200 kg for the price of 100! That’s me totally stocked on that until end of March now, cannot squeeze any more in. Just need new shockers on the car now , ha ha :lol:

Robert Frost.

Me.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

That's a great deal, jansman :D

I'm *still* stuck on bringing my garden up to scratch ... cutting back brambles prior to digging them up, starting to dig up weeds, making sure that all boundaries are accessible (I need a fencing guy to repair an awful lot of stuff). Little victories all over, and there's been one huge victory this year - an online acquaintance sent me 4 raspberry root cuttings, and they've been a roaring success - a couple of dozen canes have grown up in the area.

Top two thirds of the ant hill knocked off and put into neighbour's green bin. Another ant hill discovered :( that will go the same way.

Bit of a setback this week: my fridge freezer died on me. New one is to be delivered next Tuesday, I'll take better care of it than the last one, in the meantime I have a loan of a little camping type fridge, just for cheese and what not. It does mean that I lost a lot of frozen veg - and also found a few long-past Best Before dates on nuts and seeds hidden away. Even in the freezer, nuts go rancid eventually - ie free radicals abound, which help set up the body conditions that can end up with cancer. So they got thrown out. Veggie "lard" had melted. Some lovely local spelt flour was *wet*, so that went too. I'm lucky I'm not a meat eater though, in this situation - I reckon I've only lost £20-£25 of food.
jansman

Post by jansman »

I never knew that about nuts. You learn something everyday.

Robert Frost.

Me.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Yep, I kept wondering why the best before dates, and had a looksee online: https://www.ehow.com/info_12320353_happ ... e-bad.html
I haven't gone the extra mile on this and gone somewhere official, but this is so plainly written, and so unsensationalist, I'm willing to take it as-is.
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

This is the big thing with prepping Jansman - it's not static for long. Our lives and circs change and we have to adapt to that. I'm ashamed to say I haven't grown a single thing this year. Plan was to get a new shed which never happened but will get one early spring. So until that's in I don't know how much growing space we have, or where it will be.
The other complication is the husband has got angina back after ten years free of heart probs. So he isn't able to do anything much at all - got cardiologist tomorrow. Meanwhile the freezer is kept full of green veg and we have plenty tins of carrots & potatoes, so the big pots of soup are safe :mrgreen: