What Preps are you doing this week? Part 6.

How are you preparing
jennyjj01

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 6.

Post by jennyjj01 »

itsybitsy wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:47 am
jennyjj01 wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:44 pm
itsybitsy wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:35 pm
Holland and Barratt sell TVP mince.
Thank's... and soya chunks at £5.30 / Kilo.
Not too bad and maybe better when they have their next promo. I just wish I didn't hate their product naming enough to make me want to scream.
Product naming is really the least of considerations. ;)
I'm a very petty curmudgeon ;)

I mean WTF is Vi-poo None of that in my stash.

You should hear me swear when I walk past Brighthouse or when June on telly raves about her guaranteed over 50s plan instead of directing her anger at the dozy postman. or when that other idiot goes on about ClearScore.com (though I like the dog)

... Sorry I drifted off into one of my rants.... Time for my medication.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

I loathe Holland and Barrett - mostly for their pricing policy, which is deliberately obscure, and incredibly manipulative. In fact, I used to get so bad-tempered when I went in, I've stopped - I save up purchases for the Healthy Supplies website. As for the over 50s plans adverts ... they ought to be prosecuted. And they won't stop sending me post either - all the trees that died for them!
:twisted: /endrant, just for the moment.

Of course, I don't much like TVP mince :) but I just googled asian supermarkets in my nearest shopping town, and there are 3 listed immediately, so I'll go exploring, maybe on Saturday.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Forgot to say, my campaign to make more local links is still paying off. My local horticultural society run a "sundries shop" at a farm that google maps describes as "eco friendly" - on average, it opens once a fortnight, for a couple of hours, run by volunteers, and it has dozens of items - compost, manure, bark chippings, plant food, volcanic dust, loads of things, excellent prices too. Next one is a week on Saturday.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Arzosah wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:03 am Forgot to say, my campaign to make more local links is still paying off. My local horticultural society run a "sundries shop" at a farm that google maps describes as "eco friendly" - on average, it opens once a fortnight, for a couple of hours, run by volunteers, and it has dozens of items - compost, manure, bark chippings, plant food, volcanic dust, loads of things, excellent prices too. Next one is a week on Saturday.
I like that. Local. I buy my sacks of spuds, plants and seeds from a Nursery within walking distance. The owner is a friend of mine, in fact he used to walk my coursing hounds as a lad , 30 years ago!
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Stonecarver

Post by Stonecarver »

jansman wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 6:44 pm
Arzosah wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:03 am Forgot to say, my campaign to make more local links is still paying off. My local horticultural society run a "sundries shop" at a farm that google maps describes as "eco friendly" - on average, it opens once a fortnight, for a couple of hours, run by volunteers, and it has dozens of items - compost, manure, bark chippings, plant food, volcanic dust, loads of things, excellent prices too. Next one is a week on Saturday.
I like that. Local. I buy my sacks of spuds, plants and seeds from a Nursery within walking distance. The owner is a friend of mine, in fact he used to walk my coursing hounds as a lad , 30 years ago!
If we made and bought more things locally ie within uk then there wouldnt be this much fuss about brexit. But this penchant for cheapest wont allow it. I personally would pay more if I knew my fruits or veg came from fairly near. Not 7000 miles away. Where are eco people when some of my fruit or veg has more mileage than my car
Not worried about powering the whole house,just eating hot food,getting a brew,seeing through the dark,and staying warm.
Jansman
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Stonecarver wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:33 pmWhere are eco people when some of my fruit or veg has more mileage than my car
I think eco people have to be sought out, stonecarver, still definitely a minority, particularly in terms of buying and selling. On my social forums, I'm starting to hear of plenty of people who either cycle or combine with other errands to go to a zero waste shop, for instance. As to the farm thats being described as eco friendly in relation to my local horticultural society, I'll keep my eyes open and have a chat too.

Talking of shopping, I'm still using up my Nectar points gradually - so many retail organisations going bust, I really don't want whoever runs nectar to go bust and me lose my points. Though I paid for the new kitchen on my nectar-driven mastercard, so I expect a *whole* lot more :mrgreen:
Medusa

Post by Medusa »

Bought myself one of those mini greenhouses. Obviously not as sturdy as a rigid one but will do us for a while and likely safer when we have the littlies visiting. Bought seeds and onion sets and trays and containers to plant them in and a few big bags of compost and awaiting delivery of a few bare root fruit plants. Also bought the first water butt of the few I want. Dad appears to be following my lead and has ordered dwarf plum and apple trees and took quite a liking to the greenhouse. Much as I would like to think that he is doing this to supplement the fruit he buys at the supermarket, I think it will just turn into a competition of "my apple tree has more apples than yours". For an almost 80 year old chap he is very fit and healthy and an avid caravanner, but is also aware that his towing days are now very much limited and so will just encourage his interest in a new hobby, and yes it's very likely that he will win the apple growing competition although my rhubarb was much bigger than his last year!
Growing old disgracefully!
Arwen Thebard

Post by Arwen Thebard »

Our new caner finally arrived from America so lots to learn this weekend. Its even bigger than we expected. :shock: Makes the pressure cooker look like a miniature. Home bargains supplied us with 60 cheap mason jars and the extra shelves are ready in the pantry. Busy few days ahead. :roll:
Arwen The Bard

"What did you learn today?"
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

I've been out on my trip to an Asian supermarket in the next town. Ordinary size tins and packets were the same, or a little bit more expensive than ordinary supermarkets, but the prices on the big sizes of stuff were remarkable: a kilo of turmeric for £2.99 was pretty spectacular, and I noticed 2 kilos of ghee for £14.99.

People have been talking on here about dried milk powder - they had tons of very big sizes for sale.

I was just checking out the website, which goes to a supplier at the same address, offering free delivery *nationally* for orders over £35, and saw 1.5kg of linseed for £3.29. In ordinary Sainsbos etc, 100g of linseed is currently 90p ... I'm definitely going to do an online order when I get back from catsitting, though DYOR applies as always.
Website name won't copy to paste it, which gives me slight pause, its somayaskitchen though. I might do some more research before placing an order myself.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Well I've added a jet boil stove to my preps, been busy ratting on the allotment and added a co alarm to the living room
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine