What Preps are you doing this week? Part 6.

How are you preparing
jansman

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 6.

Post by jansman »

Got to go to work tomorrow. I live in the Soar Valley, which is a notorious flood zone. We take flooding in our stride here. However...every route out of the village has experienced flooding that I have not seen in 35 years. It’s a good ‘un. MrsJ insists that I chuck a hotel bag in the car ( we have a couple of ‘emergency flats’ at work), but I said that if I can get there, I’ll get back. Gotta get there first! :lol:

Next door neighbours wanted the name of a good roofer this morning, water was pi**ing in their house. I DID tell them that they had at least a dozen slates down 18 months ago; mind you , three holidays a year on the credit card are more important it seems.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Best of luck to you and yours, jansman. We've had half a dozen downpours, quite short lived, but nothing unusual.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Good luck! I've got a full change of clothes including thermals at work plus replenished socks and boots at work in my "office" so I could last a few days without returning home if I HAD to I've also got keys to site so it's a bol of sorts of I was forced and access to the workshop if I need heavy tools and plant...

( But mates farm is less than a mile from home which if we flooded at home I'm sure I'd be lent a tractor and trailer to sling the house contents and family into (it's been discussed in jest and I've driven for them in the past in harvest so know how to .... ).

Plus the car kit and food

I bought another 10m of flat hose the other night just in case I can now pump water off our plot as soon as the tide goes out or to the big land drain

We've been on flood watch since Saturday but so far so good bar a few big puddles on my commute can tell my tyres are getting low at the front local mobile mechanic due Friday to address that .

Good old daily express tipping a bad winter .. it's cold here tonight but they did get the hottest summer prediction correct :mrgreen: :lol: (then again a stopped clock is right twice in 24 hours cars have had a good glug of winter screenwash added Tonight and a can of driver lobbed in the passenger footwell
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Arwen Thebard

Post by Arwen Thebard »

"Next door neighbours wanted the name of a good roofer this morning, water was pi**ing in their house. I DID tell them that they had at least a dozen slates down 18 months ago; mind you , three holidays a year on the credit card are more important it seems."

Sadly, that sort of attitude sums up many people in our society.
Arwen The Bard

"What did you learn today?"
jansman

Post by jansman »

Arwen Thebard wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 11:12 am "Next door neighbours wanted the name of a good roofer this morning, water was pi**ing in their house. I DID tell them that they had at least a dozen slates down 18 months ago; mind you , three holidays a year on the credit card are more important it seems."

Sadly, that sort of attitude sums up many people in our society.
It surely does Arwen.And you don't want to see the garden!
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
D&DD

Post by D&DD »

This entire week is being spent teaching my son (20) the finer aspects of home preserving. He's turned into an amazing grower but needed some serious work on his skills to preserve what he has grown.
He has Autism but this makes him a super keen and extra diligent learner you just need to know how to teach him. We had a bit of a rough start with the canning episode but he has done 6 perfect half pints today! He's also got his jam making perfected. He can prep fruit,veg and leathers very well for drying, so I'm happy with his progress.

My other prep this week is lists!! I've had a few years where I've been off my feet literally and although we were prepped to the rafters we came across a few issues.
1/ It's OK having preps but if no one knows what they are , they don't use them so they're of no use!
2/ If they don't know HOW to use the preps they are of no use again
3/If they don't know WHERE they are again no use

Soo lots of lesson learned here and now lists being made of WHAT we have,WHERE to find it,HOW to use it so hopefully if I end up in a Tramadol coma again they'll cope lol :roll:
peejay

Post by peejay »

I finally got to have a practice driving my car through some proper flooding. We live at the top of a decent hill thankfully but down one side of it I've learned of a dip that seems to have flooded a few times recently. Not very wide but can quickly get deep enough to be a problem, evidenced by the fact that I've passed 3 cars abandoned in it over the last week! I should be good for 2ft deep so long as I'm confident there's nothing untoward hidden below the surface...
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

Knitting warm socks... :mrgreen:
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

peejay wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:14 pm I finally got to have a practice driving my car through some proper flooding. We live at the top of a decent hill thankfully but down one side of it I've learned of a dip that seems to have flooded a few times recently. Not very wide but can quickly get deep enough to be a problem, evidenced by the fact that I've passed 3 cars abandoned in it over the last week! I should be good for 2ft deep so long as I'm confident there's nothing untoward hidden below the surface...

Waders and a pole.... ;)
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
peejay

Post by peejay »

Yorkshire Andy wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:32 pm Waders and a pole.... ;)
Already added to the boot tonight :)