What Preps are you doing this week? Part 6.

How are you preparing
jansman

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 6.

Post by jansman »

pseudonym wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:07 pm Yesterday doing Winter preps, moving this: :o

Into here: :shock:

4 hours later: :P

and they say no good deed goes unpunished: :tinfoil

Turned my ankle so RICE all last night :roll:

TBH it hasn't "let go" on me for about 3 years so it was due :lol:
I always like to see a well stocked woodpile. Not a bad ankle though. Hope it gets better quickly.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

pseudonym thats a good bit of work - hope the ankle's better today.

Andy that advice sounds mad! What were they actually advising that you *should* do? Blow on it? :?

jansman you definitely live in a hotspot. Chaos is all around you - thank goodness you're into preparedness!

First Aid
British Red Cross have regular 4.5 hour courses for members of the public, about 30 minutes on the train for me, thats doable, next one is in August. They have a similar course for first aid for children and babies. Yes I know I've phrased that badly :lol:

My local fire brigade isn't staffed 24/7, but the county's website has a lot of information pdfs available, about fire-fighting. And they *do* recommend a fire blanket :) but give reasons why *not* to use water or a fire extinguisher for pan fires. They run a Home Safety Visit - I'll actually be eligible in 6 months :mrgreen: but there's also a diy checklist, fair dos.

There's a private sector company that provides a 1 day first-aid-at-work course: no prices on the website! I immediately don't trust them :mrgreen: and they don't have any reviews of any of their courses either.

Bingo! Comprehensive list of courses - everything from provision in schools to helping forestry workers to using defibrillators and anaphylaxis treatments - its in the next town to me, less than 10 minutes on the train. The Red Cross course is still probably the best one to attend first, but this one is great for the future.
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

Thanks, It's been a reoccurring injury on and off for 24 years. I have to walk head down as any small stone,twig, raised paving slab can have me turning it. Imagine standing on an unstable woodpile if you will :oops: :oops: :oops:

Still the wood's in for the Winter so another job ticked off the list.

I just need to remind myself I'm older and none the wiser every now and then :lol:
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Arzosah, I wouldn’t say I live in a hotspot. It’s just life I guess. On a daily basis, I deal with gobby customers, pill-heads and yesterday the gaffer, me and two of the bakers had to get heavy with four thieving travellers ( I am being politically correct) in our car park. Recorded CCTV footage and a meat cleaver persuaded them to put down and p*ss off! Stuff just happens.

Regarding the first aid course, the Red Cross is a good choice. The course I did was run by a private company, and cost me 70 quid. Money very well spent.

Robert Frost.

Me.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

jansman wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 12:10 pm Arzosah, I wouldn’t say I live in a hotspot. It’s just life I guess. On a daily basis, I deal with gobby customers, pill-heads and yesterday the gaffer, me and two of the bakers had to get heavy with four thieving travellers ( I am being politically correct) in our car park. Recorded CCTV footage and a meat cleaver persuaded them to put down and p*ss off! Stuff just happens.
That's not "just life" round where I live, I guarantee you, though to be fair I live in a teensy commuter town with not much going for it.
Regarding the first aid course, the Red Cross is a good choice. The course I did was run by a private company, and cost me 70 quid. Money very well spent.
Good stuff. The Red Cross one is £60. At the private company, the shorter courses for defib, epi care etc are £30.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Get well Pseud, all these old injuries catch up with you, well, they do with me anyway. I think my days of making it as a professional athlete might be waining. :(
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

Deeps wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:29 pm Get well Pseud, all these old injuries catch up with you, well, they do with me anyway. I think my days of making it as a professional athlete might be waining. :(
Ta, Shame there's no Candy,..... I mean Brufen 800s. ;)
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Arzosah wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:43 am
Andy that advice sounds mad! What were they actually advising that you *should* do? Blow on it? :?

The generic get out and let the fire service deal with it :/ unless your "trained" Mrs A is a chef by trade so knew what to do and I did a fire fighting in the workplace course years back He didn't seem impressed about the fire escape ladder "await rescue" yeh fine but if the level crossing comes down the fire service are going to take at least 15 minutes.

Got onto car fires "don't fight it car extinguishers are not big enough" hmmm my suv has a 4kg power unit ( more than adequate for a fairly large fire........ Got bored and went to climb on a green Goddess with the kids ;)
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
jansman

Post by jansman »

Interesting about ‘awaiting rescue ‘. The fire we saw on Saturday ( the flats are wrecked btw),was belching smoke in minutes it seems. I was in the pub last night, and a chap who lives opposite told me that the chap in the flat next to the arsonist actually jumped from the third floor and broke his legs. He feared he would die.

Robert Frost.

Me.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Oh I know a similar house to ours was gutted within 10 mins...

The plan we have is kids in our room asap..

Quick assessment

I've got 2x smoke hoods they are not cheap!

I'm donning one immediately then youngest kids first out one at a time slide down the stairs returning with the mask for the next

Whilst Mrs a lobs the ladder out incase I can't return older kids can climb unlike the 2 yo

Spare key hung by the door always to get the door open

If the lounge door becomes compromised it's ladder for everyone...
2019-07-15 21.51.49.jpg

2019-07-15 21.53.57.jpg
IMG_20190715_221504868_HDR.jpg

Hmmm 5 a plug..... They went out years ago think the word they need is fuse :/

One other thing he said when we listed detectors we shouldn't have one in the kitchen as "it will go off all the time" hmmmmm
2019-07-15 22.19.47.jpg
No wonder the fire fighters were sniggering on the next "stall" passing comment about I darent mention the dry water mist and a electric or chip Pan fire
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine