What Preps are you doing this week? Part 6.

How are you preparing
Panther

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 6.

Post by Panther »

Thank you all for your kind words in welcoming me back to the fold; it's much appreciated.

I always make sure there are a couple of bags of sugar in store. Why I'm not sure; in the normal course of events it's hardly ever used and months later I'll find its turned into a solid "brick" at the back of the cupboard!
Mind you winter is coming so hopefully the sugar can eventually be used if my OH starts making her delicious apple crumble and shortbread again. :D I'll have to start dropping a few hints. ;)
There may be trouble ahead
But while there's moonlight and music
And love and romance
Let's face the music and dance
Panther

Post by Panther »

The OH has just reminded me that she uses demerara sugar for her crumbles. It's going straight on the list for our next visit to Lidl!
There may be trouble ahead
But while there's moonlight and music
And love and romance
Let's face the music and dance
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

Deeps wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:33 pm
grenfell wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:26 pm Funny you should say that , when i go to someone's house for the first time to do a job i'm often asked " tea , two sugars? " as if it's obligatory for builders to have sugar in their tea .
We did one job a fair few years ago where the clients wife brought us cake on an almost daily basis , but then they were very happy with the work.
I've not taken sugar in my tea or coffee since I was about 10, a throw away comment from my dad about "kids" needing sugar was enough for me to feel the need to be a big boy about not taking sugar in my tea.

We've been providing bickies too from time to time, despite them saying they weren't bothered, they've made a dent in them. :lol: I'm the same in fairness, would never buy them myself but from time to time if I see them winking at me in the cupboard I'll tan half a packet. :o

Tea or coffee, white, two is considered 'NATO standard' so maybe no surprise that some see it as the 'go to'.
Don't take it myself . Going back to the lady who brought us the cakes the foreman made a rule that whatever she brought had to be eaten that day . Probably a wise move in some respects as we were out in the wilds next to a river and vermin could have been a problem . One day she dropped off a chocolate cake around ten inches across. There were just me and the foreman on site . He cut the cake in two , picked up one half and said "get your slice down you " . Rude no to.
With regards to sugar we do keep an amount . Always useful for jam making wine making and puddings if nothing else.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

grenfell wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:58 pm
Deeps wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:33 pm
grenfell wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:26 pm Funny you should say that , when i go to someone's house for the first time to do a job i'm often asked " tea , two sugars? " as if it's obligatory for builders to have sugar in their tea .
We did one job a fair few years ago where the clients wife brought us cake on an almost daily basis , but then they were very happy with the work.
I've not taken sugar in my tea or coffee since I was about 10, a throw away comment from my dad about "kids" needing sugar was enough for me to feel the need to be a big boy about not taking sugar in my tea.

We've been providing bickies too from time to time, despite them saying they weren't bothered, they've made a dent in them. :lol: I'm the same in fairness, would never buy them myself but from time to time if I see them winking at me in the cupboard I'll tan half a packet. :o

Tea or coffee, white, two is considered 'NATO standard' so maybe no surprise that some see it as the 'go to'.
Don't take it myself . Going back to the lady who brought us the cakes the foreman made a rule that whatever she brought had to be eaten that day . Probably a wise move in some respects as we were out in the wilds next to a river and vermin could have been a problem . One day she dropped off a chocolate cake around ten inches across. There were just me and the foreman on site . He cut the cake in two , picked up one half and said "get your slice down you " . Rude no to.
With regards to sugar we do keep an amount . Always useful for jam making wine making and puddings if nothing else.
:lol: Love the cake story. I keep sugar too, while its not a massive part of my life I do put a wee spoonful in tomato based sauces and in a zombie apocalypse I daresay some would need 3 spoons of sugar in their tea for the shock. Not me natch, I'd be cool, calm and collected in a Steven Segal kind of a way. 8-)
jansman

Post by jansman »

I have not had sugar in tea for nigh -on forty years. The Boss didn't have it in tea,so I did without too. A year or two as a bootneck taught me to drink it black,and the rest is history.Tea is essential to the functionality of civilisation!
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

On the subject of tea or rather alternatives i'm not sure if i've mentioned it here or elsewhere but has anyone tried rosebay willow herb as a substitute? I'd tried various herbal teas most of which taste pretty weak or tasteless , subtle is the word generally used but the rosebay actually tastes like proper tea. Very easy to come by as it's a common weed and all it needs is drying (well cut the roots off just because they're dirty ) crumbling up and using.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

That's a great tip, I'd no idea about that :)
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

I hate sugar in tea, it's disgusting. I take coffee very strong and very sweet though. We only get dark brown demerara in this house, husband is diabetic and takes Splenda.
I'm reading about the Home Front in WW2 just now and the first things that went short were bacon, sugar and cooking fats, so I'm guessing it wouldn't be so very different come B-day.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

diamond lil wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:47 pm I hate sugar in tea, it's disgusting. I take coffee very strong and very sweet though. We only get dark brown demerara in this house, husband is diabetic and takes Splenda.
I'm reading about the Home Front in WW2 just now and the first things that went short were bacon, sugar and cooking fats, so I'm guessing it wouldn't be so very different come B-day.
Like you Lil, I'm a Costco-er and they do the mahoosive packs of bacon I break them down into 2 or 3 rashers in wee bags and freeze them, as long as there's lecky I'm good on the bacon front. Sugar, I always like to have a few bags, just cos and I've got about 20 to 30 litres of various cooking oils built up over time. Some of it I've been fleeced for, I stopped using ghee for curries as we weren't going through enough and apparently rapeseed oil is good so I bought some 'braw' rapeseed oil, turns out a lot of 'vegetable oil' is rapeseed oil so no need to buy the fancy stuff, just read the label on the 'cooncil hoose stuff', everyday's a school day and all that. Got plenty sunflower and olive oil too. I guess lard could be an option but with any luck it will all have died down before I have to resort to that.
Stonecarver

Post by Stonecarver »

diamond lil wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:47 pm I hate sugar in tea, it's disgusting. I take coffee very strong and very sweet though. We only get dark brown demerara in this house, husband is diabetic and takes Splenda.
I must be the only one who cant have tea without sugar :o
Not worried about powering the whole house,just eating hot food,getting a brew,seeing through the dark,and staying warm.
Jansman