What Preps are you doing this week? Part 6.

How are you preparing
diamond lil

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 6.

Post by diamond lil »

Fabulous wee pal to have Deeps :mrgreen: My cat canny even catch a spider! She keeps slapping a paw on them then lifts the paw to see if they're still there. And they take off over the carpet leaving her sitting there :evil:
Jansman I've seen Weils Disease when I was nursing in an Infectious Diseases hospital. Quite shocking the damage it can cause. I also once nursed Typhoid, a sailor from a boat in Leith came in with it.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Typhoid! That's serious. Mind you,the Weils Disease is nearer home,rats and mice are everywhere.Thats why they need controlling.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Sorry to hear about your current lurgy, jansman (and your past lurgy, come to that!) Never knew that leptospirosis was Weil's Disease. There's an official tour of the Brighton sewers during the Brighton Festival in May (guys with walkie talkies are chatting about whether there are local showers constantly) and they're quite open that they give you latex gloves because you need to hold handrails for steps, and there are rats all over the place, of course (tour is fantastic, all that Victorian brickwork and engineering, and the boom of the sea against the valve that keeps the sea water out).

Anyway ... loving the cat stories :) my cats were useless at hunting, they took a few swipes at a big moth once, thats about it. I've seen them watch the big house spiders run across the floor, and do absolutely nothing. Totally my fault for treating them like house cats, even though they weren't :oops: :lol:

I had rats about five years ago here, and then a *load* of them a few years ago. As well as ordinary undergrowth, there's a marshy nature reserve about 50 yards away that looks like a mangrove swamp after a couple of days rain, it must be full of them. Poison! The second time, it smelt like chocolate, that was fun :mrgreen:
jansman

Post by jansman »

They like chocolate. And peanut butter. And bacon. I alternate the trap baits and the type of poison in the stations regularly. For anyone new to vermin control, make sure that your bait points are against edges ( walls or fences) as they will rarely run across open ground, unless forced to. It’s a good idea also to leave traps unset and unbaited for a day or two, so they get used to them. Also, traps are best hung in the open air before use, and wash your hands in hot water, no soap ,before handling. Especially if you are a smoker.

Regarding catch- alive traps: I have had rats using my compost heaps as a food source almost a hundred yards from our outbuildings. They will travel back. They might make you feel good, but they don’t work. Personally, I find the ethics of trapping a wild animal ( alive) a little questionable, because of the distress it will endure, even for say, overnight until you check it in the morning. Left unattended, live rats will eat each other.

Robert Frost.

Me.
peejay

Post by peejay »

I popped to our caravan (in storage) for a checkup over the weekend as we've only been out in it once this year due to moving home (and having less need to "get away from it all" in the new house!) & was gobsmacked fo find we've had mice in! Christ knows what hole they can have come in via but I immediately set some baited traps. I wanted to avoid poison incase they died in some inaccessible spot in the van but I did find a nice little pile of green grains of some description which look to me like poisoned feed so with any luck they've already had some of that & buggered off.

Does leave me feeling like the van is going to need a good deep clean before the next trip though...
jansman

Post by jansman »

peejay wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 11:03 pm I popped to our caravan (in storage) for a checkup over the weekend as we've only been out in it once this year due to moving home (and having less need to "get away from it all" in the new house!) & was gobsmacked fo find we've had mice in! Christ knows what hole they can have come in via but I immediately set some baited traps. I wanted to avoid poison incase they died in some inaccessible spot in the van but I did find a nice little pile of green grains of some description which look to me like poisoned feed so with any luck they've already had some of that & buggered off.

Does leave me feeling like the van is going to need a good deep clean before the next trip though...
If you can poke a pencil in a hole,a mouse can get in. The 'argument ' about poison and ethics and all that is up to the individual.The poison route is admirably highlighted however, with peejay's caravan above.If you have somewhere that is not frequently visited,vermin will make it home,and poison works 24/7.

Robert Frost.

Me.
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

This Gentleman keeps me entertained:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FvCsDd-IiM
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
Medusa

Post by Medusa »

Bought an additional Carbon Monoxide detector. We have done some work to our utility room which was originally one of the outhouses and which containes our oil boiler and which is now far more sealed than it was previously. We already have them in the dining room and lounge as we have log burners, also an additional smoke detector. Despite only taking my Emergency First Aid At Work certificate in March we were asked to re-sit to cover things more role appropriate, it wasnt, but refreshers are always useful and didnt cost me a penny. Still trying to persuade work to put me through a more advanced course. I planted some autumn garlic 4 weeks ago and some onions thinking that they might sprout in spring, but no all are growing and not quite sure what to do with them now apart from protect them from frost.
Growing old disgracefully!
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

A prep I didn't expect ... its ages since I've used a tin that needs a can opener - and I've lost my lovely Brabantia one, I think during the kitchen renovation :oops: I remembered where I put the emergency one in my hotel bag :D but its a cheap Wilko one. It does the job, but not nearly sturdy enough, I can see it won't last long. So, since Nectar are holding a double points thingy at Sainsbo next week (only via the app now, I'm afraid) and homewares count, I'm buying two good quality tin openers :mrgreen:
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

Major revamp in this house this week. Husband went in for an angiogram on Thurs as his angina recently got very bad. They said urgent triple bypass, probably next week :shock: So I'm currently trying to do all the stuff he normally does. Forcing a big shovel into a coalhouse then carrying it up 4 steep steps at the back door is knocking hell out of my knees and shoulders. So far the easiest way seems to be filling 2 supermarket carrier bags and leaving them on the top step, then just picking up the bag and dumping the whole lot on the fire. The ashcan needs emptied twice a day, it's huge and heavy, and that's the next thing I need to work round.
Next thing is that he will be more or less an invalid for weeks and taking it easy for months. Can't drive now or for 6 weeks after his op and I don't drive.So this winter things round here will be different. We get a lot of snow and neither of us can clear it. The kids will need to show face and help a bit more I think. Shopping is ok, Sainsbugs weekly shop and Amazon for anything else. But hairdresser, doctor & dentist all involve a bus. One an hour and it's a ten minute walk to the road.
I might come out of this winter leanerer keen and very very mean :twisted: :twisted: