What Preps are you doing this week? Part 6.

How are you preparing
Arzosah

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 6.

Post by Arzosah »

Yay Andy! Hope it comes back soon. A neighbour knocked on my door today asking if my electricity was back on yet ... I hadn't noticed it had gone off :oops: I found this map, which was interesting in several ways. https://www.ukpowernetworks.co.uk/power ... CD-91022-Z
The power cut listed is a long way from me, but it describes exactly the same reason for the power being off. Part of me would really like to know how common that is, and part of me thinks they're just cut and pasting whatever they feel like :lol:
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Arzosah wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:32 pm Yay Andy! Hope it comes back soon. A neighbour knocked on my door today asking if my electricity was back on yet ... I hadn't noticed it had gone off :oops: I found this map, which was interesting in several ways. https://www.ukpowernetworks.co.uk/power ... CD-91022-Z
The power cut listed is a long way from me, but it describes exactly the same reason for the power being off. Part of me would really like to know how common that is, and part of me thinks they're just cut and pasting whatever they feel like :lol:
Had the dragon in law ring on Sunday for the electric board number .. turns out that the town centre had lost power and the cafe she works at was in chaos no tills or card machine

Coffee machine on their purge clean cycle dish washers on

Couldn't shut the electronic doors or drop the shutters. .

Couldn't cash up

Or call out on works phone as it's cordless or get in touch with area manager as number is in the computer ...

Northern powrgrid map was accurate enough

The backed up with the local fire services .gov site who'd been called to the substation

She got to our house "have you got power" (electric oven was lit up) :lol:
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
peejay

Post by peejay »

Had a couple of people on local FB page complaining of brown water so was keeping an eye on ours with the other eye on our 3-4 day water stash :)

Never heard any more of it though.
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

Mention of the power cuts leads me to a story fro last week . My brother in law wife went out for the evening and roped their daughter off wiith us. After picking her up they went home and shortly afterwards we had a call saying there was no power on. I went over and on the way noticed tat though the streetlights were on there was very little light coming from the houses. Got there , nothing amiss that I could see with the fuseboard so I asked a neighbour who confined they had lost power around 45 minutes ago . Going back I saw a western power guy in the roadside junction box and the power was back on shortly afterwards but the "morale" of the story is observation more than anything else.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Yorkshire Andy wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:58 pmHad the dragon in law ring on Sunday for the electric board number .. turns out that the town centre had lost power and the cafe she works at was in chaos no tills or card machine

Coffee machine on their purge clean cycle dish washers on

Couldn't shut the electronic doors or drop the shutters. .

Couldn't cash up

Or call out on works phone as it's cordless or get in touch with area manager as number is in the computer ...

The backed up with the local fire services .gov site who'd been called to the substation
Thats a lot of consequences, especially the doors and shutters. I saw an ethical hacker being interviewed on tv this morning (he gets paid by the company concerned to try and break into their system). Not the same thing, of course, but the issue of the phone and the phone numbers ... yep, really basic.
Arwen Thebard

Post by Arwen Thebard »

Just look out for all the electric car owners kicking their plug in connection posts.

Or the people who cannot understand why they have no mobile phone signal.

My preps this week? Getting all the various batteries recharged.
Arwen The Bard

"What did you learn today?"
angeuk

Post by angeuk »

Just ambling along, really. Adding to the stash as we go through frightening amounts of chocolate (me) and toilet paper (the rest :D) .

Went through the out of date stuff a few days ago, but aside from a few tins of fish, there wasn't a lot to chuck. The fish was in ring-pull cans, which I don't trust as much as regular ones.

I'll up my game in the next few months. I reckon shortages will start in September. Not through actual shortages, just through panic buying. Dependent, of course, on what our glorious leaders are up to regarding Brexit.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

I'm going to start dehydrating foraged greens on Saturday - going to keep them separate, in as powdered a form as they'll get. I'm doing it because I'm changing the way I look after my garden, completely. I've always tried to juggle the competing demands of the environment and "volunteer" plants that get blown in, and the plants that I want to plant (almost entirely food plants). I've really been through a reality check this week: if I keep on with that, I'll never get clear enough to stop what I call navvying (grim digging with a big garden fork) vs what other people call weeding (faffing about on the surface of the soil with a little hand fork).

Breakthrough today! A square yard that was fairly clear already, though I still got half a bucket of weeds and weed roots out of it. I left a little set of chives in one corner, and a run of baby aquilegia in the front (they don't take up much space). My new rosemary is going to be planted there by the end of the day. I'll also put a "walkway" in, an old slat from a double bed, that will let me get to the sage I planted a couple of months ago - I'm never, ever going to let anything I plant be overwhelmed with weeds ever again.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Arzosah wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:14 pm I'm going to start dehydrating foraged greens on Saturday - going to keep them separate, in as powdered a form as they'll get. I'm doing it because I'm changing the way I look after my garden, completely. I've always tried to juggle the competing demands of the environment and "volunteer" plants that get blown in, and the plants that I want to plant (almost entirely food plants). I've really been through a reality check this week: if I keep on with that, I'll never get clear enough to stop what I call navvying (grim digging with a big garden fork) vs what other people call weeding (faffing about on the surface of the soil with a little hand fork).

Breakthrough today! A square yard that was fairly clear already, though I still got half a bucket of weeds and weed roots out of it. I left a little set of chives in one corner, and a run of baby aquilegia in the front (they don't take up much space). My new rosemary is going to be planted there by the end of the day. I'll also put a "walkway" in, an old slat from a double bed, that will let me get to the sage I planted a couple of months ago - I'm never, ever going to let anything I plant be overwhelmed with weeds ever again.
I am looking at my ( huge) garden too Arzosah. Next year I shall dispose of my old greenhouse, which is beyond economic repair now. The polytunnel needs a new skin too. So I am taking that down too and putting up a longer one. Ground outside of it will be filled with perennial edibles as far as possible, as I don’t need any more work as I get older. Frankly, I would rather go fishing! However, I don’t want to lose the edibles.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Stonecarver

Post by Stonecarver »

angeuk wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:35 am Just ambling along, really. Adding to the stash as we go through frightening amounts of chocolate (me) and toilet paper (the rest :D) .

Went through the out of date stuff a few days ago, but aside from a few tins of fish, there wasn't a lot to chuck. The fish was in ring-pull cans, which I don't trust as much as regular ones.

I'll up my game in the next few months. I reckon shortages will start in September. Not through actual shortages, just through panic buying. Dependent, of course, on what our glorious leaders are up to regarding Brexit.
Why dont you trust them
Not worried about powering the whole house,just eating hot food,getting a brew,seeing through the dark,and staying warm.
Jansman