What Preps are you doing this week? Part 6.

How are you preparing
Stonecarver

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 6.

Post by Stonecarver »

jansman wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:13 pm
Arzosah wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:14 pm I'm going to start dehydrating foraged greens on Saturday - going to keep them separate, in as powdered a form as they'll get. I'm doing it because I'm changing the way I look after my garden, completely. I've always tried to juggle the competing demands of the environment and "volunteer" plants that get blown in, and the plants that I want to plant (almost entirely food plants). I've really been through a reality check this week: if I keep on with that, I'll never get clear enough to stop what I call navvying (grim digging with a big garden fork) vs what other people call weeding (faffing about on the surface of the soil with a little hand fork).

Breakthrough today! A square yard that was fairly clear already, though I still got half a bucket of weeds and weed roots out of it. I left a little set of chives in one corner, and a run of baby aquilegia in the front (they don't take up much space). My new rosemary is going to be planted there by the end of the day. I'll also put a "walkway" in, an old slat from a double bed, that will let me get to the sage I planted a couple of months ago - I'm never, ever going to let anything I plant be overwhelmed with weeds ever again.
I am looking at my ( huge) garden too Arzosah. Next year I shall dispose of my old greenhouse, which is beyond economic repair now. The polytunnel needs a new skin too. So I am taking that down too and putting up a longer one. Ground outside of it will be filled with perennial edibles as far as possible, as I don’t need any more work as I get older. Frankly, I would rather go fishing! However, I don’t want to lose the edibles.
Jansman would your polytunnels withstand hailstones? Noticing increased frequency all over the place
Not worried about powering the whole house,just eating hot food,getting a brew,seeing through the dark,and staying warm.
Jansman
jansman

Post by jansman »

I would say yes. Providing they are not tennis ball size!
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

I can now see the back of my tins cupboard for the first time in a year. Soon as we have finished the last few tins then I'm going to fill it up again, for Brexit and for winter
Found that pasta with sardines in (for hubby) and mushrooms & bacon in (for me) makes good cheap filling meals, so I'll go to Costco and get a load more pasta in.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

jansman wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:13 pmI am looking at my ( huge) garden too Arzosah. Next year I shall dispose of my old greenhouse, which is beyond economic repair now. The polytunnel needs a new skin too. So I am taking that down too and putting up a longer one. Ground outside of it will be filled with perennial edibles as far as possible, as I don’t need any more work as I get older. Frankly, I would rather go fishing! However, I don’t want to lose the edibles.
That's it, the edible perennials! There are always plenty of projects to make life better, to increase preparedness or whatever (your polytunnel, my coldframe), but I want lots more of my equivalent of your fishing :) Tomorrow was going to be my online genealogy course, but its been cancelled, so I'm off to a National Trust property locally. A walled garden to die for, I love walled gardens, *looking* at walled gardens, that is :lol:

Earlier this evening, I managed to plant my new little rosemary - fresh soil, watered, with bark chippings on top. Its as happy as a happy thing.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

diamond lil wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:09 pm I can now see the back of my tins cupboard for the first time in a year. Soon as we have finished the last few tins then I'm going to fill it up again, for Brexit and for winter
Found that pasta with sardines in (for hubby) and mushrooms & bacon in (for me) makes good cheap filling meals, so I'll go to Costco and get a load more pasta in.
I've found you can get pasta cheaper from the supermarkets Lil. Aldi is my go to but some of the big ones do some bigger bags that work out pretty well too. Costco is good for some things, we had a visit last week, a load of the big tabasco's for me, the big salmon sides for the missus and the cheap bog roll for both of us. We're a bit more selective with Costco these days, she's even started getting stuff from Farmfoods because it works out cheaper, even the dhoby dust and conditioner stuff which she used to get from Costco. Pays to shop around Lil, Her Maj likes to keep a supply of diet coke although she's been converted to cheap 2L bottles of stuff (need to keep up appearances with her pal :lol: ). Basically, shop around.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Arzosah wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:54 pm
jansman wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:13 pmI am looking at my ( huge) garden too Arzosah. Next year I shall dispose of my old greenhouse, which is beyond economic repair now. The polytunnel needs a new skin too. So I am taking that down too and putting up a longer one. Ground outside of it will be filled with perennial edibles as far as possible, as I don’t need any more work as I get older. Frankly, I would rather go fishing! However, I don’t want to lose the edibles.
That's it, the edible perennials! There are always plenty of projects to make life better, to increase preparedness or whatever (your polytunnel, my coldframe), but I want lots more of my equivalent of your fishing :) Tomorrow was going to be my online genealogy course, but its been cancelled, so I'm off to a National Trust property locally. A walled garden to die for, I love walled gardens, *looking* at walled gardens, that is :lol:

Earlier this evening, I managed to plant my new little rosemary - fresh soil, watered, with bark chippings on top. Its as happy as a happy thing.
Life must be more than mere ‘survival ‘. We should live, not exist. I have had a pleasant evening with my eldest daughter. Mum is out, so she fed me! We talked, and I commented that I am nearer now, to my death than my birth. She told me not to be so morbid. I told her that that is reality. Now I pursue the simple pleasures of life, as I have seen bad times and violence. We are human beings, not human doings!

Robert Frost.

Me.
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

I'm just lazy Deepsy :mrgreen: I get Sainsbugs online every week and do Costco once in a while, apart from that I don't do shops, not got the energy. I like Costco for meat and cakes though...
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

diamond lil wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:33 am I'm just lazy Deepsy :mrgreen: I get Sainsbugs online every week and do Costco once in a while, apart from that I don't do shops, not got the energy. I like Costco for meat and cakes though...
Its whatever works for you isn't it. We get a weekly Asda and like to pop into Aldi for bits and bobs. We like to have a wee nose round some of the other supermarkets when passing, make the trip to Costco 4 or 5 times a year. Costco do some really good pakora too if that's your thing.
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

I'm hooked on their lamb chops....
jansman

Post by jansman »

Well... right now I am glad that Mrs J and me are first aid trained. Just seeing daughter away at the front door and a young boy racer on a motorcycle ( too fast), hit the back of a car that stopped. Multiple fractures it seems, but the arm was a complicated fracture and pi@@ing blood. Jan got the main kit from the pantry and we stemmed the bleeding until the medics arrived- and they were quick!

Get trained.

I don’t need this sh!t, I have to be in bed soon as I am on a 4am start, and the adrenaline is still pumping. Life happens quickly at times!

Get trained.

Robert Frost.

Me.