What Preps are you doing this week? Part 6.

How are you preparing
Panther

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 6.

Post by Panther »

Deeps wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:59 am

Then there's torches, batteries....... I think I need to see nurse for my tablets.
Ah, torches, one can never have enough torches. :)

I keep looking on the Olight Torches site at the X9R Marauder. I can't quite understand why my dear wife says, "No way!"
After all, what's a mere £550.00 for a decent torch. :lol:
There may be trouble ahead
But while there's moonlight and music
And love and romance
Let's face the music and dance
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Mmm mmm torches headlights gas lights :D

And candle lanterns.....
Attachments
IMG_20190825_211034131_HDR.jpg
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
jansman

Post by jansman »

Filled the car with motion lotion today,and filled a petrol can to fuel the chainsaw over Winter.Mrs J is batch cooking meals for the freezer to cover her pending hospitalisation.Like Yorkshire Andy,I have changed the batteries in smoke detectors and carbon monoxide detectors. Enough coal in for Winter,and logs for two Winters.Car kit ( GHB) is now Winterised.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Still to fully winterise my GHB, although mine is hefty already so no massive changes. In theory it can keep me going for a couple days.

Will be spending a day up the allotment to do my 'man chores' on thursday, bloody hating the missus taking the week off. :evil:

Completely accidentally managed to buy another mess set. :roll: Also a camping stool as my boyish frame is breaking my current/previous one. :oops:
Stonecarver

Post by Stonecarver »

Panther wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 1:48 pm
Deeps wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:59 am

Then there's torches, batteries....... I think I need to see nurse for my tablets.
Ah, torches, one can never have enough torches. :)

I keep looking on the Olight Torches site at the X9R Marauder. I can't quite understand why my dear wife says, "No way!"
After all, what's a mere £550.00 for a decent torch. :lol:
I was on amazoon and saw olights on sale. Was about to order some and then saw business address was in China. Questioned authenticity of said torches and didnt order
Not worried about powering the whole house,just eating hot food,getting a brew,seeing through the dark,and staying warm.
Jansman
jansman

Post by jansman »

I do have to ask, ( and it's your money,your choice), who pays more than half a grand for a torch?

Robert Frost.

Me.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

jansman wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 5:30 pm I do have to ask, ( and it's your money,your choice), who pays more than half a grand for a torch?
:lol: Yup, the sub 2 quid Cree's do for me. I think the most I've spent on a torch is about 15 quid and it was paid for by betting. Spent money on decent rechargeable batteries admittedly but nothing approaching 3 figures. I'd love to be paying 3 figures for a torch, I'd have to be loaded to think about it.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Walked into B&Q today.... £3 for the blanket and £5 for the extinguisher

Extinguisher current on the landing upstairs must be 15 years old (was in my first car) so over due a replacement .... Gauge is still Green but overtime the powder can clump in industry they are emptied every 5 years and refilled if the power is ok or its replaced with fresh... (Not that dry powder is used in many industries any more)
Attachments
IMG_20190907_200310266.jpg

jansman

Post by jansman »

Interesting what you say about the powder Andy. When we tackled the car fire outside I dumped 3x1kg dry powder extinguishers under the bonnet, and that did the trick perfectly. The eldest of those had to be 12 years and the youngest 5. The gauges were on green, but I must admit that I was dubious when I pulled the triggers!

We have all brand new ones now.

Robert Frost.

Me.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

2019-09-08 08.54.46.jpg
Typical the flash was right over the 60°c bit

Apparently the monoamonum phosphate in ABC powder units is heat reactive ( it forms a skin over burning combustible materials )

so if the unit gets hot especially in a car in summer there's a risk of it caking,

years ago I did a full day [back when they used real fire be it wood or petrol in trays (none of this modern risk averse "safe fire" gas burner which as Long as you sweep from side to side the man turns the gas off making you think you put the fire out] fire course and was told to invert the extinguisher and shake it before discharge larger units drop it on its side .... To break up small clumps that can clog the "pick up tube" resulting in a blast of nitrogen and very little powder.......

Recent amendments to the bsi installation of extinguisher regs make powder forbidden indoors in most industrial settings exclusions apply to filling stations or fuel stores where rappid knock down is needed and they won't freeze .. you'll know first hand the mess they make...

Talking to my friend in home insurance it won't affect a domestic policy they'd rather pay a cleaning firm to clean up or replace soft furnishings from dry powder residue than rebuild a house due to fire damage

https://www.fireprotectiononline.co.uk/ ... rd-change/