What Preps are you doing this week? Part 6.

How are you preparing
Piperbiker

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 6.

Post by Piperbiker »

This week we are picking up a new New Zealand rabbit buck for our growing Hurd. Part of our prep is a small homestead. Chickens rabbits and crops.
ClericalError

Post by ClericalError »

Yesterday my dehydrator arrived and I tested it out overnight on some pears. My new garden has a massive pear tree, too high to pick them, so I have a lot of windfalls to try to process. I can see I am going to love having this new piece of kit - jerky recipes next, I think...
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

Cleric: You need to get yourself a fruit picker pole, they come in three basic types

Basket

Net

And Free
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
PreppingPingu

Post by PreppingPingu »

Veg storage has been the order of my preps this week. I have got in some of my root veg from the allotment. Not ever grown enough to properly store before but I was better prepared and organised this year. So I have l lift half my spuds and air dried them for a couple of days indoors and now they are in layers in old Lidl veg boxes, covered in newspaper in my garage which always maintains a steady cool temperature and is dry and dark. I will see how well they keep as not done this before. For the first time, I have had a go at storing carrots. Again, I have left some in the ground but pulled some, checked over for damage and stored the good ones in some horticultural sand in a box, in the back of the garage. I will see how well they keep in a month's time, and if they seem good then I'll pull the rest before the ground gets waterlogged and they rot/get eaten by rodents. The parsnips are staying put in situ till November for the first frost (- if I'm lucky and we get a frost by then down here in the south.) I have also blanched and frozen some carrots too for use in stews etc in the winter. These were the carrots that were blemished/ nibbled on by critters unknown and not suitable for long term storage in sharp sand.
"Today is the tomorrow that you worrried about yesterday" - unknown
"Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast" - Red Dwarf
(Area 3)
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Generator filled with fuel after using it on the allotment over the year..

10l metal fuel can filled and fuel stabilization additive added

New thermal curtains bought for lounge ready for winter

Got 3 packs of fire lighters in bq for £1.50 priced at £1 scanned at 50p for 50!

New smoke alarm in the master bedroom since the old one went u/s last week

54 bog rolls bought plus 220 dish washer tablet added to stocks
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Last bit of prepping done tonight new batteries in the smoke alarms and CO detectors made first week in September my change battery time having put most the fire detectors up late last August

Ysverine

Post by Ysverine »

Trying to sort out a few bits and bobs before I head off to the Highlands for a much-needed break:

- Harvested potatoes, carrots, and sorted out seeds for overwintering crops.
- Taken delivery of a gas-powered stove and butane canisters in case of power failures.
- Snagged a couple of massive liquid containers for water storage, so that's 30l prepped and hidden away for future use.

Still waiting on delivery for my headlamp and handcrank radio, hopefully they'll turn up in the next couple of days along with stuff I need for the Scotland trip. The next two weeks are largely going to be prepping in terms of my fitness, so lots of hiking ahead!
Panther

Post by Panther »

Yorkshire Andy wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:30 pm Last bit of prepping done tonight
Do you really mean your preps are now complete or is that just tonights preps? Wow, what a wonderful position to be in, to feel completely prepped with everything you might possibly need. I'm not sure I'll ever be in that position. Whatever I buy, however large my stocks of supplies become, I always think, "is that enough, or could I do with just a little bit more, just in case?!" In fact the more I prep the longer my "to purchase" lists seem to become. :?
There may be trouble ahead
But while there's moonlight and music
And love and romance
Let's face the music and dance
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Panther wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:11 am

Do you really mean your preps are now complete or is that just tonights preps? Wow, what a wonderful position to be in, to feel completely prepped with everything you might possibly need. I'm not sure I'll ever be in that position. Whatever I buy, however large my stocks of supplies become, I always think, "is that enough, or could I do with just a little bit more, just in case?!" In fact the more I prep the longer my "to purchase" lists seem to become. :?
I know how you feel, when I started the plan was to have a months worth of food for the pair of us, it didn't stop there though....

I'm a bit like that with my camping/walking gear too, something 'shinier' will catch my eye so older stuff gets put to the back of the shelf instead of getting sold on or swapped. :lol:

Then there's torches, batteries....... I think I need to see nurse for my tablets.

As for current preps, I've got to run an extension out to the shed to keep the dehydrator going 24/7 to keep on top of the produce from the allotment.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Well prepped as much as I can in the house for winter all basics and staples are in .

All season / winter tyres ordered for the car