What Preps are you doing this week? Part 6.

How are you preparing
diamond lil

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 6.

Post by diamond lil »

Doesn't matter at all how you like it, just prep accordingly :mrgreen: If only I could prep with sweeties.. but I bet I could eat a mountain of jellybabies in a day. No use trying to stash sweeties in this hoose. I used to try it with chocolate, freeze it so that I wouldn't be able to scoff it.
Then I found out if you dip it in tea it thaws .. :twisted: :twisted:
Years ago when we had a tiny wee post office here, I trekked the 2 mile round trip in deep snow one winter, just because I was dying for a Mars bar :mrgreen:
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

QUOTE from Deeps:
Like you Lil, I'm a Costco-er and they do the mahoosive packs of bacon I break them down into 2 or 3 rashers in wee bags and freeze them, as long as there's lecky I'm good on the bacon front. Sugar, I always like to have a few bags, just cos and I've got about 20 to 30 litres of various cooking oils built up over time. Some of it I've been fleeced for, I stopped using ghee for curries as we weren't going through enough and apparently rapeseed oil is good so I bought some 'braw' rapeseed oil, turns out a lot of 'vegetable oil' is rapeseed oil so no need to buy the fancy stuff, just read the label on the 'cooncil hoose stuff', everyday's a school day and all that. Got plenty sunflower and olive oil too. I guess lard could be an option but with any luck it will all have died down before I have to resort to that.
[/quote]
I have got a wee stash of lard, I like it better than oil. But we need to get some olive oil for pasta & stuff. Currently buying the Costco bundles of 6 packs of bacon, it's nice unsmoked back.
Jamesey1981

Post by Jamesey1981 »

Vegetable oil is indeed usually rapeseed oil.

Usually the stuff that's labelled as rapeseed oil is cold pressed good stuff, keep that for dressings and use it the same as virgin olive oil, has a good flavour and it's a bit of a waste to cook with it.
That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange aeons even death may die.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

diamond lil wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 1:45 pm
I have got a wee stash of lard, I like it better than oil. But we need to get some olive oil for pasta & stuff. Currently buying the Costco bundles of 6 packs of bacon, it's nice unsmoked back.
Lard is essential in this house it makes the best Yorkshire puddings and roast spuds

With the nights slowly drawing in I've recharged all the none solar led security lights today (one lamp uses 8xaaa batteries ) all rechargable ;)
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Jamesey1981 wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 3:55 pm Vegetable oil is indeed usually rapeseed oil.

Usually the stuff that's labelled as rapeseed oil is cold pressed good stuff, keep that for dressings and use it the same as virgin olive oil, has a good flavour and it's a bit of a waste to cook with it.
Cheers mate, hadn't thought of it like that but it makes sense. Got some of the good stuff but plenty of the 'council house stuff' as its better for deep frying pakora. It'll all work for something.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Tomorrows preps replace the smoke alarm batteries

Hedges had their final cut of the year

Cars had a coat of wax ready for winter windows coated with rain X

Kids winter coats sorted

Chicken coop cleaned our and sanitizer ready for new stock after Mr Todd's visit

Plan on creosoting it tomorrow

The allotment is finally on stream with tomatoes coming out of our ears corn and spuds

The last attempt at planting carrots finally took
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

Having a bit of a nightmare with the ratty grumpy husband here. Re a no-deal Brexit I'm trying to get him to stash some of his heart pills, and some diesel. You'd think after all the years I've been a prepper that some of it would rub off... But what I'm getting is "They canny let that happen"... "They will have to sort that" ... "It will be fine stop fussing"... "Stop talking daft!" (the last one when I said fill the 3 cans with diesel, don't leave them in the shed but dig a shallow hole in the garden and put them in it. (Because we're very rural and have had the shed broken into once, plus probs with people stealing red diesel and heating oil and quad bikes locally).
Also he's had 3 heart attacks, currently having angina every time he does anything like wash the car or cut the grass - but it's apparently unthinkable that I should lie to the suregery and say I was clearing out his pills and by mistake threw the heart ones out so could we please have another box. :evil:
God preppers, it's a true saying innit - if you want anything done then you have to do it yourself!!!
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Argh, Lil! You could always lie to ratty grumpy husband as well as the doctor :oops:

That's an amazing list of "don't worry it'll be all right" :( isn't it.

I'm stocking up - big supermarket delivery last week, a smaller one this week, and also an online purchase from Healthy Supplies. Some of the supermarket stock will be dehydrated. This is partly about Brexit, but also partly about a slow build-up to winter supplies: if I get ill, I can't even cope with supermarket shopping, and if there's a pandemic or a long spell of really bad weather, I want plenty of food in so I don't have to go out and can get by with local shopping for a bit of fresh food. I had another reminder of what the chronic fatigue is like - I did too much last week, and I've been out of it for 9 days now - I managed a shower or so, but washing my hair was a no-no. In those circumstances, having food in is really important.
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

Absolutely Arzosah, done the same meself. Had a couple of days up in Edinburgh at the start of the Fringe and been stuck in the recliner ever since. It's so unfair and really pulls you down.
My main prob is powdered milk, we go through a lot of milk and that's the one thing we always ran out of first in bad weather.
Arwen Thebard

Post by Arwen Thebard »

"Then I found out if you dip it in tea it thaws .."

Oh LIL what have you done. another secret out of the bag :lol:
Mrs A is now grinning like a Cheshire cat and I'm having to think of alternate hiding places for the choc box.
Arwen The Bard

"What did you learn today?"